The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 my python will not feed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
karel Posted - 18/06/2011 : 10:04:00
Hi all I have a male Royal about 2 years old ,and over the last 6-8 weeks he will not feed ,I can get him to strike no problem but he will just kill the prey and leave it. Iam using the hair dryer method as the rat has to be warm and dry, any ideas.
Best wishes
Charlie
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 13/07/2011 : 13:33:24
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Women snakes are just as bad, they get nookie on the brain too. Or if you ask BATS she'll tell you that the women are worse, lol.

Only just spotted this!

Bob, I said women corn snakes lol!

(It's true, they are!! Talk about spring has sprung!! Shameless little baggages ...)
Lotabob Posted - 13/07/2011 : 00:11:40
Women snakes are just as bad, they get nookie on the brain too. Or if you ask BATS she'll tell you that the women are worse, lol.
dpennington Posted - 12/07/2011 : 23:59:56
I've heard males can stop feeding when their hormones are raging with sexual tention. I've heard this is just one of the things with males. Thats what made me decide to buy a girl for my first snake. Not sure if this is true and I hope it helps settle your mind.
Robert Posted - 10/07/2011 : 18:50:30
Charlie that's all you can do, offer and leave overnight and then try again in a weeks time eventually if everything else is ok they will feed :)
Evolution Morphs Posted - 28/06/2011 : 19:48:29
My spider does this sometimes if she don't nail the rat on the button(head)
I do find watching her
If I think she's going to let go I make the rat twitch and she do constrict again
Then she's off filling her face :)

May work something to try

Every royals different
karel Posted - 28/06/2011 : 14:59:59
Hi all many thanks I will keep trying so far he will strike and leave it,even leaving it there all night has not helped.
Best wishes Charlie
Robert Posted - 21/06/2011 : 19:48:51
Don't worry if he is otherwise healthy he will be fine just offer every week and he will eventually feed I have had one go for over nine months and she is now eating again and in all that time she was perfectly fine
Margwar Posted - 18/06/2011 : 18:21:49
I'd leave it in there over night and see what happens, our Male is a bit stubborn at some points and we have to leave it in there over night. Some snakes prefer the quietness.
hodgie Posted - 18/06/2011 : 17:06:25
My male Pastel will do this all the time. He`s what i would class as a fussy .......... there are 3 different situations with him -
1. he`ll hide his head
2. he`ll strike, constrict, then leave the food
3. he`ll eat.

1 & 2 are the most common reactions, basically i think its down to the fact that he`s not really hungry but just going through the motions.
I have had some abit of luck sometimes by giving the food another blast with the hairdryer but this can involve up to 45 mins work.
Personally i`d just take the food away and try again a week later.
By the way for the last 2 years of owning him i just try to feed him once every 3 weeks, any more and its just a complete waste of time. Think your going to be in the same situation. Be brave and give him a good break it wont do any harm and you will probably get a better response.
karel Posted - 18/06/2011 : 13:56:58
Hi no I dont leave it thereovernight but I will do. Should I get it really warm or lukewarm. Also he is about 800-850 grams now .I will try again this evening. Many thanks for your help
Best wishes Charlie
Margwar Posted - 18/06/2011 : 10:39:39
Do you leave it in there overnight?
There's a lot of different things you can try...
Braining the rat and making it stupidly hot worked for my Female, by the time she got interested in it, it had cooled down to an acceptable temperature, whereas before it was cold by the time she got around to striking at it.
Kelfezond Posted - 18/06/2011 : 10:23:19
Does he constrict the rat or just strike it and leave it?

I wouldn't worry too much as he's 2 years old I'm guessing he's over 1kg which means as long as he isn't losing weight he should be fine for the time being, I just had my big male get back onto food after stopping for 6 months and he only lost about 100g over that time.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000