The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 HELP

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jayde Posted - 30/06/2011 : 19:26:37
Partner just fed snake
He took in a large amount of subtrate
Can see it protruding from throat and body
Snake is now flailing around like mad and twisting it's mouth,
What do I do
Help?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Laws Posted - 03/07/2011 : 12:30:16
glad he seems fine now , i tried putting kitchen roll down for dex and he decides to just wrestle the mouse across the viv anyway , i use aspen , i think their stomachs are good at disolving it so he should be fine! nice looking boy too ! i did notice u have world of warcraft on ur bookshelf ;) ace!
Lotabob Posted - 03/07/2011 : 03:08:39
Lol, Nessie is lovely, my dog likes to watch my corn snake but seems cautious of my royal so I ask my dog to leave the room if Duke is coming out. Its always a good thing to reflect on past panic stations events and decide what went wrong, and how to prevent it happening again and strangely its far clearer when the panic has subsided. To cover a large area of your vivarium substrate use newspaper if you do it a few hours before dinner time the disruption to put it down should be forgotten (unless you have a royal like mine, any changes from the usual dinner in a tin dish and he wont eat) and hopefully you wont have to worry about ingestion of substrate again.
Jayde Posted - 02/07/2011 : 23:21:45
Yeh I was introduced to fine orchid bark today, by the guys at Emsworth reptiles. I'd never heard of it until then as my local place only stocks the one type. Next time it comes round to buying substrate, I'll definitely be going for the fine bark. I have to admit once my sheer panic state had calmed, my brain reminded me that snakes are pretty tough little things, and if he was wild, he could possibly face far worse things, but the thought of knowing I'd put my little guy through something so stressful, when he lives a quiet and nicely content little life, was horrid.

But it's good to see that all the trauma (probably more on my behalf, than his!!) hasn't dampened his spirits or curiosity as last night (friday) he was out and about like usual, chilling on top of his log and climbing up on his branches and perches
Just relaxing:

Off for a climb:

And It clearly hasn't affected his appetite, as he was eyeing up Nessie (my dog) who was watching Alan (my Amenalistic Motley, climbing up the glass in the Viv next door):

Lotabob Posted - 02/07/2011 : 21:12:34
Oh god nightmare and a half. Duke eats substrate, but I buy small piece orchid bark, as I have no alternative but to feed in viv overnight, It may have got lodged in the throat and that the jerking was him dislodging it, once its in the stomach though it will dissolve maybe not completely but into its fibre's. I have seen Duke scoop up substrate and swallow it before and I've never seen substrtae come out the other end. It could have been a bit scratchy in the throat but they produce so much saliva when swallowing that it shouldn't have done any real damage. As a remedy I prescribe a bottle of Tiger beer, administer into the mouth and all will be well, and thats your mouth not the snakes.
Jayde Posted - 01/07/2011 : 20:58:31
Thats why I was panicking, because when they were at angles, it looked like the most awfully painful thing to be going through. I just hope it's not going to have done or disturbed anything internally due to the size or position of them when they were at angles in his throat. Got to keep a close eye on what comes out of the other end, now to make sure everything has passed through ok.
I thought that "sliding" him back in would probably be the best bet.
My corns are wigglers for about 10 mins after they've fed, so I know they'd just go straight back in, but wasn't sure if he'd be a sitting duck, as he spends the next 24hours after feeding in his hide. But after this scare, it's definitely feeding in a rub from now on.
n/a Posted - 01/07/2011 : 20:02:51
quote:
Originally posted by Jayde

Well he's still with me. Lucky I've been able to work from home today. He's been drinking a crazy amount, it's been the only time he's moved. And he's moving alot slower than he normally does, but I'm guessing thats just down to him probably feeling fragile.
Yeh I'm going to get a feeding rub on the weekend.
Just not really keen on the idea of moving him back into the viv after he's eating. Is it best to leave them for a couple of hours after?

Hi, glad to hear he's okay - you all had a nasty shock. I've never used orchid bark myself but those are big pieces to ingest - as others have said though, a snake will take in all sorts in the wild. Don't worry about moving him from a feeding rub back into his viv - it really won't stress him or bring on a regurge. If you do have to lift him, just support him underneath his 'chest' area and the belly bulge, and sliiiiide him back into the viv lol. No need to wait. He will be more annoyed by having to wait to get back 'home'. Alternatively (and this is what I often do) take the lid off the rub and just gently tilt it in at the open viv door so that he can climb in by himself.
Jayde Posted - 01/07/2011 : 19:52:59
Well he's still with me. Lucky I've been able to work from home today. He's been drinking a crazy amount, it's been the only time he's moved. And he's moving alot slower than he normally does, but I'm guessing thats just down to him probably feeling fragile.
Yeh I'm going to get a feeding rub on the weekend.
Just not really keen on the idea of moving him back into the viv after he's eating. Is it best to leave them for a couple of hours after?
STICKS Posted - 01/07/2011 : 16:43:42
Hi there hope all is ok.I know its a bit late but if you can get a bit of lino and serve the prey on that and hopefully that will stop him from getting any sub in the future all the best.
reptiledanny Posted - 30/06/2011 : 20:24:53
its ok, i now how much i would have panicked, and is always nice to just have someone helping you
hopefully he will be ok, update me tomorow
Jayde Posted - 30/06/2011 : 20:19:31
He's on orchid bark, which is fine, it was just the amount of bark at various points that were poking out, and then the addition of the flailing and the few minutes of raspy breathing, followed by strange body twitching like waves of electricity being sent through him that just put me over the top.
I've never suffered any issues with my snakes, and they've always fed in their vivs, but now I understand how the stress of a situation like this makes people want to prevent it from the offset.

Danny, you have been fantastic. Thank you. thank you thank you thank you!!
reptiledanny Posted - 30/06/2011 : 20:10:21
if he has not regurged by tomorow, then he should be fine, so no need to get to vets or anything, just see how he goes.
we all worry, but just think in the wild how much they must ingest there, their stomachs will be made to handle it, they only substrate that is to worry about if ingested is sand as it stick together and clogs up inside
Jayde Posted - 30/06/2011 : 19:54:22
He had 4 poss 5 large pieces visable pieces
Can now only see 1
No emergency vets will see him and the only reptile place we've found are closed and only a day place.
I've got no option but to wait to see how he copes now
He will never be fed inside the viv again
I'm going to be grey by tomorrow from the stress and panic and adrenaline from the past 20 mins
And I've got the joy of putting his hot box back in, as I removed it so I could see him clearly incase something happened
Jayde Posted - 30/06/2011 : 19:39:19
The only visiable piece i can see now is about 3 inches down the throat
The piece that was protruding through from lower down is not visable anymore
There is no way I can reach it
It is still visable due to being at what looks like a diagonal angle
reptiledanny Posted - 30/06/2011 : 19:37:47
how much was it, if it was a bit inside his mouth, he will prob be fine and just digest and pass it, if it was quite alot then he may regurge, but only time will tell. give it 24 hours, and if he has kept it down, he will be fine
Jayde Posted - 30/06/2011 : 19:36:00
It's been ingested
By the time he was back in the room and noticed, then screamed for me, it was too late
His upper body is now having very weird sudden twitches, preparing for regurge?
Never had of my snakes do this so have no idea
In an absolutle panic while he is looking for an emergency
Feel sick as I dont know what to do
reptiledanny Posted - 30/06/2011 : 19:29:49
i would try and hold him behind the neck carefully, and get your partner to to get something to hold his mouth open like a clean pen or something, and then try and carefully scrape/pull it out, and then the pieces you cant get rinse his mouth out with water with his pointing down so the water flushes back out so he doesnt swallow it.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000