The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dpennington Posted - 10/07/2011 : 15:26:25
Agnus Bunting is my first snake, a 6-8 month old captive bred royal python. I brought her home put her in the kitchen in an exo terra faunarium 18" x 12", a heat mat at one end, a hide at either end, water and some artificial leaf. She's on kitchen roll for now until she's happy and feeding. It makes it easier for me to spot mites.

I'm attempting to feed her hopper mice which is what the pet store told me to feed her. The pet shop in Manchester have said give her two more weeks and bring her back.

I'd like to get her feeding before that though.

I warm the hopper mice up under a bulb for 1/2 an hour to an hour. I've tried slightly moving the mouce on forceps but this scares her and she gets puffed up and aggressive. She striked at it twice but as aggression more than hunger.

I've tried again last night by leaving it in with her but it was still there again this morning. Please help.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 04:05:14
quote:
Originally posted by dpennington

She's fed twice now and is gaining weight. Chuffed and relieved. Cheers for the advice. I'll look into the RUB tonight.

*snort*
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 04:04:11
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

quote:

Towel over her has brought her out more so that's good. Tonight is feed night. I'll defrost the hopper early evening and feed her before I go to bed. If she doesn't eat tonight, she's the perfect size for snake skin shoes for my 10 week old daughter.

I would still suggest that you get a rub though.[;)]

Maybe it's because it's late at night, but that made me laugh like I haven't since Carry On films became extinct.
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 04:02:27
quote:

Towel over her has brought her out more so that's good. Tonight is feed night. I'll defrost the hopper early evening and feed her before I go to bed. If she doesn't eat tonight, she's the perfect size for snake skin shoes for my 10 week old daughter.

Ok, thanks! Just spat half chewed Scotch Egg all over my desk/keyboard (not really, but that's comedy!)
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 04:00:26
quote:

Well I managed to go home last night and resist the temptation to try and feed Agnus. I covered the top with my redundant unused fitness first towel and I'll leave her be. The vet said today to weigh her just to monitor her. This is something I've wanted to do but haven't wanted to disturb her. I will fish her out and quickly weigh her tonight.

Day one done. Four more to go until feeding attempt number 10.

After reading this I rejoiced, and ate a scotch egg!
Robert Posted - 04/08/2011 : 19:14:22
I'm pleased to hear that :) I have snakes in exo faunariums when they are young and so long as the environment is quiet they are fine, I am happy she has fed though, its always a relief but patience is always virtue, so long as eveything else is good they will feed :)
n/a Posted - 27/07/2011 : 21:49:37
Congrats - that's great news.
dpennington Posted - 27/07/2011 : 21:40:44
She's fed twice now and is gaining weight. Chuffed and relieved. Cheers for the advice. I'll look into the RUB tonight.
BlueDragon Posted - 17/07/2011 : 10:05:30
I wasn't going to mention about the faun, but since otheres have first I will stress that I totaly agree. Get her out of there or you may end up with problems... and a hefty vet bill.
Royals seem to love RUB's, although I can't comment personaly. They're cheap to buy and set up and you can just move up a size when needed. They're really usefull!

For now I would cover three sides of the faun with black card or something simmilaly dark, so she has privacy. The towel seems to be working, so keep that up. How much decor is there? Royals like it packed out too (they're Agrophobic), so it might be an idea to get some more foliage for her if it's not too full at the minuet.

As others have said, it just takes time sometimes. It's all new to her and Royals are nervey on a good day (Tig excluded... he's different) so she just has to learn to trust her new parent first.

But firstly, please get her a RUB. They're much safer and she'll probably like it much better too.

Good luck and don't freit!
Lotabob Posted - 16/07/2011 : 20:59:18
What you upto with the editing lol. It will be lost without a title.
hodgie Posted - 15/07/2011 : 19:22:45
quote:

I would still suggest that you get a rub though.
n/a Posted - 15/07/2011 : 16:44:55
Aww, you don't mean that lol! Bless her!

Good luck - she WILL get there - royals are like that, feast or famine snakes, stuffing their faces or fasting - but oh boy it's hell until you've actually seen them eat for you, I know, been there done that ...

Fingers crossed!
dpennington Posted - 15/07/2011 : 14:16:52
Lotabob Posted - 13/07/2011 : 14:17:43
Good stuff.
dpennington Posted - 13/07/2011 : 13:46:18
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

KITCHEN!!! A kitchen is a high traffic area of the house, and also a very smelly part of the house (not smelly as in Elephants arse more smelly as in lots and lots of smells). I wouldn't keep a snake in the kitchen, too much going on in there that has the potential to stress a snake out. Try a bedroom or dining room, living room etc, my lot are in the living room, they get peace all day as I'm not in, and peace all night as I'm in bed so they only have to deal with a few hours of me been around.

Not sure if I put it in an earlier post but I moved her to the living room a week in. I'd thought the kitchen would be no good so she's in the living room now. Thank you.
Lotabob Posted - 13/07/2011 : 13:13:52
No I just think your tank and hides are too big. They dont hear like we do, they sense the world around them by vibrations and with their extremely well developed sense of smell. The reason I say kitchens aren't great as an example is because in my kitchen I will have the washing machine running, maybe the fridge motor/pump thing is running, I'm cooking spag bol, steam and smells, and onions chopped up, 'oh no I burnt the mince', smokey room. A kitchen is not a settled environment, its constantly changing and in my opinion this would make it quite difficult for an easily stressed snake to feel settled.

I agree with Hodgie too, faunariums are almost totally useless for Royal Pythons, the humidity cant be held in them, ambient temps are impossible to create without heating the room they are in to the desired temperature (royals need an ambient of around 25oC) and they are strong snakes, one push to the lid and they are out of there, I've seen my Duke push a table out of the way, a faun lid would be easy.
Tawfik47 Posted - 13/07/2011 : 09:02:01
Bob, i live in a first floor flat (on the street directly, so there's alot of noises around) , do u think this could be the reason why Blitz still fasting ?
hodgie Posted - 13/07/2011 : 07:47:35
quote:

Its a bit late for me to change over but I will keep my next snake in a RUB.

They only cost a couple of quid. They will hold the temps much better.
Lotabob Posted - 12/07/2011 : 23:59:49
KITCHEN!!! A kitchen is a high traffic area of the house, and also a very smelly part of the house (not smelly as in Elephants arse more smelly as in lots and lots of smells). I wouldn't keep a snake in the kitchen, too much going on in there that has the potential to stress a snake out. Try a bedroom or dining room, living room etc, my lot are in the living room, they get peace all day as I'm not in, and peace all night as I'm in bed so they only have to deal with a few hours of me been around.
dpennington Posted - 12/07/2011 : 23:49:02
Day two. She is out of her hide! Hooray. I hope to see her out a bit more. Friday is fast approaching and I am really hoping she feeds. Everyone keeps talking about these really useful boxes. Its a bit late for me to change over but I will keep my next snake in a RUB.
dpennington Posted - 11/07/2011 : 11:37:50
Well I managed to go home last night and resist the temptation to try and feed Agnus. I covered the top with my redundant unused fitness first towel and I'll leave her be. The vet said today to weigh her just to monitor her. This is something I've wanted to do but haven't wanted to disturb her. I will fish her out and quickly weigh her tonight.

Day one done. Four more to go until feeding attempt number 10.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000