The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Chancho's secret shed...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mystra Posted - 18/07/2011 : 21:28:06
Well... i went back up north to Stoke last week to help at at my friend's wedding (which was a nightmare - long story) so after feeding the three snakes on Sunday they were left in the care of my boyfriend Mike..all he had to do is change waters and handle if he felt like...

He rang to say Chancho's eyes had gone milky on Friday... oh bugger... i forgot to buy shagnum moss!! But as i'd be back sunday night i thought i could just nip out on Monday and grab some... which is what i did...nipped to pets at home to get it... faff about with an ice cream tub to make a suitable humid hide (the one i put aside originally turned out to be far too small lol). Tonight's also feeding night so i thought, i wont bother feeding him as he's best left alone.

Go to put the humid hide in and what do you know.... there's Chancho doing the nearest a snake can display as a sheepish grin and a scrunched up shed just outside he warm hide. Mainly one piece, just his lower jaw and head were separate, all looks fine eyecaps there, all good.

He'd flooded his RUB soaking in his water bowl as Mike didn't think to only half fill it... he'd filled it full lol... i guess it helped up the humidity though and give him a good shed!

But two things are worrying me....

WHERE'S THE POO?! i thought they poo when they shed? He's had 3 feeds with me now, and never missed whilst he was in the shop.

the other is his tail tip, and i mean the last half millimeter. It's so sharp! i tried to look at the tail in his shed but he'd scrunched it up to nothing and i couldn't stretch it out without bits ripping. It was like that before the whole time i've had him, it's clear in colour, i tried the damp towel trick but he just likes to sit there and not move, it's not like a bit of him that he could really rub on a surface. It's as sharp as a nail! it doesn't appear to have proper skin under it, there's no colour. i tried VERY gently holding the tail tip and slightly rubbing the damp towel but it shows no sign of moving, nor does it seem to be trapping any thing underneath. is this just how the ends of a royal tail are?

Plus now i've got to stay up late and wait for mr ratty to desfrost now... boooooo... i fancied an early night lol... snakes - who'd have em!!?

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 24/07/2011 : 12:02:56
LOL - congrats on the shed and the erm, mighty effort. When they go - they sure go! I once looked in Shahi's hide and thought it was him!

Know what you mean, though - how many of us have considered, when buying a snake, what comes out of the other end of the snake? I know I didn't. After a lifetime of cat trays, I go and buy more carnivores and never think what it's going to be like when they grow up?

Mind you, like your Great Dane, the cat trays gave me a very good training for what was to come...
mystra Posted - 23/07/2011 : 21:44:43
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

A small dog? Your lucky when Duke goes he would make a Great Dane's eyes water upon seeing it.

hahah, well i guess i have that to look forward too when he gets bigger!

Mind you i'm used to cleaning up after newfoundland dogs... i guess big poop shouldn't be anything new... just not used to it coming out of a snake!!
Lotabob Posted - 23/07/2011 : 21:25:49
A small dog? Your lucky when Duke goes he would make a Great Dane's eyes water upon seeing it.
mystra Posted - 23/07/2011 : 21:08:18
oh god... it's like someone let a small dog poop in there!!! XD oh the joys!
mystra Posted - 18/07/2011 : 22:44:42
in other news, just fed him and Mike watched for the first time... this boy has such a strike on him... he was so eager he struck while it was still 2 ft away and missed... then again once it was near him lol it scared the poop outta Mike!!! he says its like feeding the raptors in Jurassic Park!!! XD
mystra Posted - 18/07/2011 : 21:50:31
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Duke's tail tip is quite stiff and pointy/sharp its a scale so wont be soft. If you moisten the shed before you unravel it it will be much easier and the easiest way to check the tail tip.

thanks, i'll try that so i can double check the tail tip.... means rummaging thru the bin tho aaarrghhh!
mystra Posted - 18/07/2011 : 21:49:37
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

Sometimes they will go to the toilet the same day or it maybe a day or 2 later. By the way, they dont always go so dont worry after shedding if they dont need to.
as for the tail tip, yes they are sharp, are you sure there is unshed skin on there? if so you have a couple of options - raise the humidity for a day or 2 or give your little one a soak for 20 minutes then use a damp cloth to carefully roll it off.

phew.. just been having a search thru post as well, and many people say the same that they don't always go... i bet he goes tonight as i put fresh aspen in after he flooded the place! LOL

i don't know about the tail tip, to be honest as he's my first and only royal i don't know what their tails are like so perhaps this is just how he is. i'm sure the guy in the shop wouldn't have left him with a retained tail tip (the guy was insanely passionate about his royals!)

i might try and give him a soak once he's digested his rat in a few days
Lotabob Posted - 18/07/2011 : 21:44:57
Duke's tail tip is quite stiff and pointy/sharp its a scale so wont be soft. If you moisten the shed before you unravel it it will be much easier and the easiest way to check the tail tip.
hodgie Posted - 18/07/2011 : 21:42:05
Sometimes they will go to the toilet the same day or it maybe a day or 2 later. By the way, they dont always go so dont worry after shedding if they dont need to.
as for the tail tip, yes they are sharp, are you sure there is unshed skin on there? if so you have a couple of options - raise the humidity for a day or 2 or give your little one a soak for 20 minutes then use a damp cloth to carefully roll it off.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000