The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Red 'flaky' scales?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BlueDragon Posted - 02/08/2011 : 11:21:56
OK, so firstly he's in blue. But I'm not convinced that this has anything to do with that...

So yesterday I noticed that Tig has redish scales where he breaths, but nowhere else on his body. They're definatly red and not brown. I mean he hasn't been sliding through poops or anything like that. And also they seem to have these wafer thin little 'flakes' coming off them. It seems that the 'flakes' are what is red, but I can't tell for sure.
He does have moss in his hide all the time (higher humidity helps his breathing) but he hates to sit on it, and pushes it to one side to lie near instead of actually touching it, so I can't say it can be scale rot... I really hope it isn't.
When I touch him he doesn't seem to be in any pain, the area isn't hotter or colder than usual (don't know if that's the same with reptiles?). It's just this red colour and these funny tiny 'flakes'.

Now, before you see the pictures I have to say that, yes, his lung does look wrong like that, but with his condition it's actually normal and a good sign that he can breath fine. I know it looks scary, but please don't worry about him. I will, at some point, be writing up something about this and his condition 'cause I thought it might help people to understand it all, so I'll explain it there too.

Photos. They've been blown up so you can see what I mean...

And the originals incase you can see better on them...
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 13:01:10
"Snake Lung" - Great name for a band!
n/a Posted - 06/08/2011 : 12:13:13
Ah, that's good!

I thought he'd be okay but only because I'd seen Surahi do the same thing. She was adult when she came to me and her history is unknown but she has what would seem to be a couple of burn scars on her belly. One's barely noticeable, but just before shedding it looked gruesome, just like those pics of scale rot. Vet was on standby - worry levels off richter scale (no pun intended!) Was I relieved when she shed and emerged with nice clean belly again!

You just can't help being worried when you see this kind of thing for the first time. Good to hear he's come through it okay!
BlueDragon Posted - 06/08/2011 : 10:07:43
Just an up-date. Tig shed the other day and the redness has all gone now. He's his normal lovley pearly self again.

...Anyone shocked? X )
BlueDragon Posted - 03/08/2011 : 10:44:11
Thanks Peoples : )

The vertical creasing is just 'cause of the way he breaths. His lung sinks right in as he breaths out, actually making him look like he doesn't have one in there at all, and that's where the creasing comes from. He actually looks like that all the time, not just shed time. The only difference being that now the creases are more visable 'cause of the pinkness.

I've never come across such a deep colour on him before a shed is all I was worried about. But if you've seen it before then I'll stop freiting now! X )

...I'll probably learn that he's totaly fine after he's shed and he'll let me know that I was just being a silly mummy.
sandi Posted - 02/08/2011 : 21:22:32
Both my royal and my boa go a pink/red colour on their belly scales before shedding. To me it looks similar so i wouldnt be too concerned until after the shed, then if its no different, see a vet.
Margwar Posted - 02/08/2011 : 20:30:11
Margwar does this when he's about to shed.
Lotabob Posted - 02/08/2011 : 19:48:04
Looks like pink belly to me, Duke's goes pink when the rest of him goes blue, and he goes crispy and flakey too. I've not seen the vertical creasing before though, thats a new one.
n/a Posted - 02/08/2011 : 12:08:18
Hi, Blue - I don't know if I'm necessarily right, but I've known a royal's belly to look shocking before shed and then, once after shed, be perfectly normal again - all being well, that's what it is with Tig. Don't blame you for being alarmed though - I was, and I thought she'd got scale rot too.

Fingers crossed!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000