The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Crusty Nose

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
em6184 Posted - 08/08/2011 : 00:41:33
Hi All,
I've recently got Scarlet an keep noticing like either skin or something on the end of her nose. I've not noticed any mucus on her nose and it hasn't been wet so i was wondering if it could be retained shed. What do you guys think?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boomslang Posted - 10/08/2011 : 00:29:14
quote:
Originally posted by em6184

Hi Ya,
Thanks guys will let you know how she gets on. Cheers for the help.

Thats good to hear
n/a Posted - 09/08/2011 : 23:15:41
quote:
Originally posted by bigdon23

Hi guys, i had a look for myself last night and it doesnt look like RI, it looks like a bit of flakey skin which she also has in other areas too, scarlet is now in blue so we'll see how it is after shed

Cool! Sounds like pre-shed scruffiness bless her. Good luck with the shed!

Scarlet is red -
No, Scarlet is BLUE!
Soon Scarlet will shed -
All shiny and new ...

em6184 Posted - 09/08/2011 : 23:02:55
Hi Ya,
Thanks guys will let you know how she gets on. Cheers for the help.
Lotabob Posted - 09/08/2011 : 22:47:40
Ah thats nothing major firstly they do go a bit tatty looking as they approach going blue. If there are signs of a bad shed though it may be worth while increasing the humidity with moss or a face cloth in the hot end. The important bits to make sure are shed off are the eyecaps and tail tip, everything else ideally needs to come off but shouldnt do any harm it it doesn't.
acd1984 Posted - 09/08/2011 : 22:11:45
Hi guys, i had a look for myself last night and it doesnt look like RI, it looks like a bit of flakey skin which she also has in other areas too, scarlet is now in blue so we'll see how it is after shed
boomslang Posted - 08/08/2011 : 21:53:46
Like everyone else has said,It could also be retained shed.discoloured/bad scale from another shed,Try and post a picture.

If it comes and goes,or looks like mucus/crusty substance,or some kinda infection on her head,if in doubt,take it to a reptile vet.
Lotabob Posted - 08/08/2011 : 18:38:13
If its there when cold but on warmer days it goes away I would be tempted to think its mucus (basically a runny nose) a symptom of a respiratory infection caused because your Royal is too cold. If you know how to safely open the snakes mouth and check the roof of the mouth (where the nasal cavity is) and back of the mouth for mucus or an excessively moist mouth, if you dont know how to do it though then dont, you could hurt your snake if you get it wrong.

The first thing to do is to raise the ambient temperature in the enclosure. As you have a faun this will be pretty much impossible, might be worth a trip to Tesco for any plastic storage box though Really Useful boxes just seem to be perfect for the job. In the mean time place your Royal in the warmest room in the house, if possible a space heater and the smallest room in the house will be your best bet to getting the ambient air temperature up to about 25oC and then have the hot end temperatures up to 32oC, you'll have to heat that whole room up though to have any effect on a faunarium.
n/a Posted - 08/08/2011 : 18:18:03
Hi, is it a case of the scales on her nose looking 'scruffy'? Like tiny white flakes more visible against the light? Sometimes snakes approaching shed can look like this, or before you got her she may have rubbed her nose against a door or opening, trying to get out - one of my corns did this recently while looking for a husband!() Your little girl's too young for that of course but they can get the wanderlust at times. She looks fine in her pic and the flaky scales will probably come away with her next shed.

It could also be retained shed, as you say. I'd be inclined to wait until her next shed as the main worry with retained shed is eyecaps and tailtip. Again, after her next shed you may see a big improvement.

However, if you notice any signs of RI (good sticky on this section) consult a vet.

Also it's interesting that the crustiness comes and goes, and that the temp in her faun fluctuates - it could well be that with higher humidity the crustiness is disguised by the dampness, imo a sure sign of before-shed flakiness.

(Your temp does need to be higher btw - 32c warm, 26 cool, but I notice you've started another thread re that so won't hijack lol.)

All the best with her.
em6184 Posted - 08/08/2011 : 17:53:28
Hi Ya Boomslang,
Ive only had her for just over a week so she hasn't shed while i've had her but i know she has shed once before.
em6184 Posted - 08/08/2011 : 17:51:30
Hi Ya,
not tried wiping it off yet but i noticed it the day i got her then we had some warm days and it seemed to go away and now its back again. I have her in a Faurnarium an the temp keeps going from between 24 degrees C an 28 degrees C averaging at about 25. Ihave felt her nose with my finger and thumb but there is no mucus or discharge.
Lotabob Posted - 08/08/2011 : 13:21:08
Does it come away with a damp cloth leaving no trace on the cloth or does the bits of skin come off?

No trace = likely Snot/mucus, very likely to be a RI, needs treated ASAP

Skin = 20 minutes in a damp pillowcase will remove any retained shed normally.

Non of the above = No idea, can you take a picture.
boomslang Posted - 08/08/2011 : 03:08:23
You say keep noticing?does it keep appearing after each shed?,is it like white blotches on the scales?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000