The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 cold royal HELP!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
scorpio Posted - 22/10/2011 : 11:53:16
i'm worried about monty he's really cold to touch and still not eating spends all day everyday under his log. the temp is fine in viv and log warm but he's cold is this normal? He's not been this cold when touched him before
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 25/10/2011 : 19:56:08
Just the one will do, if they need it they'll find it.
scorpio Posted - 24/10/2011 : 22:04:22
how many bulbs you got in yours? if i put a shelf in about half way up would you recommend another lamp so has another basking spot or just the one? i really want it to be perfect for him as he'll be in it for rest of his life, can see me putting up loads of questions once the building of the viv starts.
Lotabob Posted - 24/10/2011 : 19:57:59
250 Watts is a lot, I am using 150 Watt Komodo ceramic bulbs in my 3 foot by 2 vivariums, though I've yet to test this with glass in the output is more than enough to maintain a hot spot of 32oC which should also keep the ambient up where it needs to be without any bother. Though 250 Watts will be fine to use, the stat will hold it back from full power so its not like it will turn the viv into an oven.

The bulb will create the hot spot on the ground directly below it but the air will also be heated inside the vivarium but not to the same extent of the hot spot.
scorpio Posted - 23/10/2011 : 19:49:00
how many lights or wattage would i need in 3ft by 2ft by 1ft viv? going higher so he can climb but don't want him to feel scared so will be putting in plenty of hides and plants would one 250w ceramic bulb do or should i put a lesser wattage bulb in cold side?
Lotabob Posted - 23/10/2011 : 17:36:31
Sounds like a reptile radiator, they are supposed to be the best thing for bigger vivariums, not got any experience with them myself though so I cant say whether they are better than bulbs. I have a few different bulb setups and I'm in the process of testing a ceramic bulb setup before moving a snake into the new viv and that seems very good. The guards are there to stop contact burns as snakes dont feel that kind of heat and will burn, they will feel the gradual heating up of been too close to the bulb and in theory will move before they get a burn.
scorpio Posted - 23/10/2011 : 16:19:55
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Yeah its likely he is always in the warm end and feeling cold because he is a bit. I'm not sure why a heat mat cant hit 32, they should be able to hit at least 35 without issue. I would recommend switching from a heat mat which aren't Royal friendly anyway and switching to a bulb heating system, either Infra Red or even better go for ceramic. I can't see how you are hitting such a high ambient temp with a heat mat though so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree as you have a bulb in there already.

the heat mat is screwed into roof of viv it looks ceramic?? I bought the set up viv and snake together, i thought his heating system was fine until came on here, i am now planning on a light as heating source but won't he burn himself even with guards?
chrisc Posted - 23/10/2011 : 14:37:06
mines the same as lorraines warm to the touch if in the warm end an cooler in the other
Lorraine Posted - 23/10/2011 : 10:35:12
Oscar feels the same as whatever hide I get him out of. I love it when he comes out of his warm hide and he's so warm in my hands. When I get him out of his cool hide, he's cold in my hands. Actually that gave me a bit of a start the first time, but now I know it's normal. He seems to spend his time 50/50 between the two.
Lotabob Posted - 22/10/2011 : 22:36:21
Yeah its likely he is always in the warm end and feeling cold because he is a bit. I'm not sure why a heat mat cant hit 32, they should be able to hit at least 35 without issue. I would recommend switching from a heat mat which aren't Royal friendly anyway and switching to a bulb heating system, either Infra Red or even better go for ceramic. I can't see how you are hitting such a high ambient temp with a heat mat though so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree as you have a bulb in there already.
scorpio Posted - 22/10/2011 : 22:16:19
he's always in his warm end only seen him in his cold end once. bought new mats and thermostat as my dad's gonna build his viv into the alcove that his current viv is stored in at moment. the thermostat i've got with him is on full to 35 but never seen it that high
n/a Posted - 22/10/2011 : 20:07:18
Hi, his warm end temps really ought to be 32c but apart from that I reckon he's just acting like a normal adult royal at this time of year. Does he seem to favour his warm end or cool end? I know mine usually stay in their cool/middle hides and rarely go into the warm end, but personally I do like to keep the warm end at the recommended 32c, just in case, if you see what I mean.
scorpio Posted - 22/10/2011 : 19:16:46
thanks all! feel better his temps are 25.7 in cold and 29.9 in warm. he's in a 3ft viv that he came in. I think if he'd eat just once i'd be fine but not eaten since i got him even though he does seem interested to begin with, his first one he split not nice. got pictures on facebook if can figure out how to load onto here i will
reptilemadd Posted - 22/10/2011 : 16:30:27
Cerb feels cold somtimes but he's almost always in his warm hide, I know royals are private but I never see him anymore :( unless I get him out even my new girl has given up and stays indoors most of the time, but unlike him she feels warm most of the time as well, it could very well be down to the size of the snake, or maybe I haven't really got a clue and am just waffling to sound inteligent lol
n/a Posted - 22/10/2011 : 15:50:37
LOL - this could get interesting!
Lotabob Posted - 22/10/2011 : 15:40:12
Do I have a warm blooded snake then?

I suppose cold is in the hand of the holder. Both Duke and Sanke are always nice and warm but Spot is the chilly one he is always cold, no wonder he has no feet, his toes would have fallen off by now.
Kelfezond Posted - 22/10/2011 : 15:33:58
Most of my royals always feel cold to the touch, but then I suppose I am always uncomfortably hot in my house that might be why
n/a Posted - 22/10/2011 : 15:33:30
Well, my royals can feel cold to the touch.
Lotabob Posted - 22/10/2011 : 15:26:40
Royals shouldn't feel cold to the touch, they won't be as warm as we are but I've neevr felt Duke feeling cold (my corn always feels cold) unless he is out for a while. His ambient/cold side temp is between 24-26oC and this should be easily achieved in a viv unless you are in a unheated house with the windows open in the North Pole maybe

What are your temperatures in the vivarium?
n/a Posted - 22/10/2011 : 13:05:09
The noise of the hairdryer won't frighten him as snakes don't 'hear' as such but sense vibration (I move mine out of the room if I have to use a power drill, for instance.) Saada and Shahi actually poke their heads out of their hides when the hairdryer starts, like Bisto kids ...only Shahi didn't take this time, typical royals, you can never predict lol.

Yes, as D3l says, seconded ...and royals CAN be a bit complicated as a first snake, though once you get used to them they're fine, and not as messy as stinky corns lol (love my corns but they're mucky madams!)

And mature girl corns fast in the spring and drive you mad with their roaming and nose rubbing on the viv doors and general shameless lovesick pleadings, bless them ...you end up feeling as if for two pins you'd go out and buy them a husband and let them sow their wild oats ...and then pray for a crop failure lol. At least royals curl up in their hides and keep their amorous feelings to themselves ...though there may be exceptions ...

But it's true they're far more regular feeders than royals - however, Monty sounds a gorgeous snake (adult royals are so imposing!)and absolutely normal for a royal - again as D3l says, don't worry and keep in touch. Any pics of Monty?
Evolution Morphs Posted - 22/10/2011 : 12:49:21
Fasting is part of the royal python things they do
If it's going to worry you a royal wouldn't suit
Royals are a lovely snake to have
But with them comes there fasting in the winter
I have 4 that ain't feed for about 3-6 weeks now and they were all hammering down the rats before the weather change

If I had to recommend a first snake to keep it would be a corn snake we have one here as well still eating

Just keep posting your progress and the lovely people here will help you :)

And most of all don't worry ;)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000