The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 mites, what damage?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jonoandapril Posted - 29/10/2011 : 20:51:44
right, just discovered that my bumblebee has had some un-invited visitors. used the stickys (thanks for that guys) and have some of the preditor type mites on the way now to grow and hopefully eat them all away. also fully cleaned out the vivs and bathed the snake.

my question tho (because im not to bright) is; where the hell do they come from? orginally? i know you can transfer them with handling, or from viv to viv, but where do thay start?
also, what health risks other than obviously stressing the snakey and dehidrating them? can they kill the poor thing?
thanks again for the stickys, this is my first time dealing with mites and to be honest i didnt have a clue.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jonoandapril Posted - 01/11/2011 : 20:20:18
i do like the hog island boas, was origionally after one of those but then i had a handle of the BRB and fell in love. gotta love the way the light makes them shine like that!!
Lotabob Posted - 31/10/2011 : 18:20:21
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

i highly doubt sanke will get over 6ft, and a 4ft x 2ft viv would easily house a 6ft hog island boa because they are not as gurthy as a normal boa anyway, and that size viv can house a male 6ft bci boa, and they would be about double the girth.
i think you should just do it bob, and buy a nice carpet and put it in that, and then have a seperate 4ft for sanke

I doubt she will top 5 feet. I just have all bases covered from the smallest she could be to the biggest she could be. She has a 3 foot by 2 foot vivarium and should she outgrow it in the unlikley event as she should be a pure bred Hogg but if she has any other Boa genes mixed in I just want to make sure she has a good home here regardless of size.
reptiledanny Posted - 31/10/2011 : 13:58:39
i highly doubt sanke will get over 6ft, and a 4ft x 2ft viv would easily house a 6ft hog island boa because they are not as gurthy as a normal boa anyway, and that size viv can house a male 6ft bci boa, and they would be about double the girth.
i think you should just do it bob, and buy a nice carpet and put it in that, and then have a seperate 4ft for sanke
Lotabob Posted - 31/10/2011 : 13:02:54
I very nearly bought a BRB last week, they were a great bargain too but didn't have a setup ready for him.

I have a Hogg Island Boa and their growth expectation varies from 4 feet to 7 feet so I have covered all bases with her just in case but its quite likely she wont need the big viv though if I try her in it and she likes it she can have it.
jonoandapril Posted - 31/10/2011 : 09:29:57
would deffo recomend the carpets, their lovely (its actually my wifes) especially the jags. what boa do you have? im looking at a BRB atm and building it a fish tank convirsion.
Lotabob Posted - 30/10/2011 : 09:15:40
LOL, give them hell. I'm very protective of my beasts too. I remember the fury I felt when a tick was sucking my poor dogs blood, I cursed it something shocking.

PS I am really starting to like Jungle carpet Pythons, should my Boa not get big enough for the big viv in my stack it will be a jungle going in there.
jonoandapril Posted - 30/10/2011 : 08:58:34
yeah, fair one. to be honest if i had the money they WOULD be in an airlocked room lol im very protective of my little collection and having them out for walkies is like a family thing now, my 2 yr old loves them, especially the normal and the carpet python.
those mites aint gonna know what hit them, gonna suffer some propper RM tactics now lol
Lotabob Posted - 30/10/2011 : 08:46:03
Callingtons will kill the hypoapsis mites too, its a mite killing super spray lol.

Mites are a massive pain in the ar-achnid, we have our collections, we look at other snakes and run the risk of introducing them but what is the alternative, short of building a sealed room with an airlock door and stripping naked and burning your clothes after leaving a reptile shop. I just hope that it never happens but the truth of it is it will happen at some stage its all about dealing with it quickly and aggressively, go in like a crazy person and massacre these critters lol.
jonoandapril Posted - 29/10/2011 : 23:16:48
cheers, ordered. had a browse aswell, not a bad site at all!
Evolution Morphs Posted - 29/10/2011 : 23:13:26
Even with the £3.99 postage
Think it's the cheapest about ;)

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/callington-mite-spray-100g.html
jonoandapril Posted - 29/10/2011 : 23:06:43
roger that, had never heard of the collingtons stuff. where can i get that? is it a new thing? as iv already ordered the hyposis (spelling?) mites il give them a go whilst i wait for this collingtons cure il get on order. already done the steralising thing, but will do so every other day until their cured just to be on the safe side as its only a little tank. i was handling at the local rep shop a few days ago (eyeing up a BRB) so maybe they came from there. he was quarenteened and now will be again. poor little git. there doesnt seem to be alot of them tho so hopefuly iv caught it early enough for it to be handled quite simply. cheers for the help guys and gals!
Lotabob Posted - 29/10/2011 : 21:35:03
Yeah snake mites come from snakes they dont feed anywhere else.

The hypoapsis mites are a pig to keep alive if what I have read is true, you have to give them the right environment to live but this also helps snake mites and they are already established. I am not a fan of chemicals but in this case i'd say blitz the little bleepers. Gut out the viv/rub/whatever, boil anything that fits in a pan and then keep it as far away from the viv as possible, ditch all substrate, switch to kitchen roll, give the snake a good bath, drown the ones on it and then keep in a temporary tub while you thoroughly deep cleanse the viv/rub/whatever and surrouning area, then spray the viv/rub/whatever with callingtons, make it a mite unfriendly zone. leave to dry and then turf snake back in with as little stuff in as possible, make cardboard hides from cereal boxes and then you can just throw it all out if you detect mites and rebath snake, retreat viv/rub/whatever.
blackskull Posted - 29/10/2011 : 21:10:32
not sure about the health but i think they can cause anaemia. i guess they could kill if not treated, but thats only a guess. get yourself some callingtons mite sray, its like droppin a little bomb in the viv. after you spray it in just sit back and watch them fall lol

you can get them from substrate or like me from a piece of bark
Evolution Morphs Posted - 29/10/2011 : 21:10:32
They come from other people collections , pet shops,
Live in bedding that you've just brought for the pet shop

Callingtons mite spray is what you need buddy
And it's been approved to spray on the snake as well
All people rave about that stuff and it works

Also did you quarantine the bumblebee or put it near your other snakeys

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000