The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Please help!! Growling snake??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
louballs Posted - 31/10/2011 : 19:17:30
I have had brian now for a week, he has always been happy and placid. I had no trouble feeding him for the first time. And he is very friendly. I just went to check him and he looked cheesed of if thats possible. So i went to get him out and he recoiled from me and almost growled at me? Is he ill or just being a grumpy sod lol. Thanks, look forward to any help. xx
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jonoandapril Posted - 01/11/2011 : 20:23:17
'hiss-y' fit... lol :)
n/a Posted - 01/11/2011 : 11:05:19
Sorry, forgot to say the growliness doesn't last long. They have a bit of a hissy fit and are back to their old soppy selves the next time.
Lotabob Posted - 31/10/2011 : 22:05:28
I had Duke maybe a month, I sat him on top of the viv while I sorted out a stray probe and as I pulled my head back out of the vivarium all I saw was a wide open mouth firing at my face. Other than that one time Duke has never shown aggression. He does hiss from time to time but I dont see that as an act of aggression that's just him been scared and letting me know. They have their own little personalities and you soon learn whats what with your own lot. I have 3 snakes and non of them act the same, they are all very very different.
n/a Posted - 31/10/2011 : 20:06:35
LOL - he'll be fine! (Couldn't believe it when Shahi recoiled and went hisssss at me ...) But they're men ...
louballs Posted - 31/10/2011 : 20:02:29
They are so much more complecated than us women lol. Thanks for your reply, i know i havent had him long but he is already a big part of our family.And i just want to be sure he is ok

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

It's also breeding season. He's a MAN. Ready to mate. Macho.

My Shahi, a year younger, who i've had since a baby, is behaving much the same. Even started to fast (but couldn't resist a rat the other day lol.)

Men eh??

louballs Posted - 31/10/2011 : 19:57:48
I fed him on Friday, he is on jumbo mice and took it with in seconds.
frambo Posted - 31/10/2011 : 19:54:35
From what I've picked up the 'rules' seem to vary from snake to snake. Mine has always been ok with me and was comfortably being handled by me on day 2 and eating happily. She isn't at all headshy and I can touch her anyway on her face if I so want to.

On the other hand, like people, you get some snakes that are less touchy feely and aren't afraid to shown when they want to be left alone. That's their individual nature and you can't change it overnight.

It sounds like Brian is just in a mood- when did you feed him?
n/a Posted - 31/10/2011 : 19:54:01
It's also breeding season. He's a MAN. Ready to mate. Macho.

My Shahi, a year younger, who i've had since a baby, is behaving much the same. Even started to fast (but couldn't resist a rat the other day lol.)

Men eh??
Lotabob Posted - 31/10/2011 : 19:46:59
The recoiling in horror is standard issue Royal behaviour, they are notoriously head shy so dont let that bit worry you. Defendsive behaviour is posing in a 'S' shape, hissing is another one, I've been hissed at by a few snakes and Royals are so loud its incredible, again its nothing to worry about its just what they do.

It is recommended that you allow your new Royal some time to settle in, its advisable to not handle until you've successfully fed your Royal 3 times in a row, that gives them the time to settle and eating is the best sign your snake is happy.
louballs Posted - 31/10/2011 : 19:40:50
Many thanks for that, of course he is grumpy he is male!! lol, But all joking aside im glad he is ok, thanks xx
GMac Posted - 31/10/2011 : 19:32:25
is just being a grumpy sod, is just a warning he want s to be left alone for a while.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000