The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Snake not Feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dave10 Posted - 28/02/2009 : 09:21:25
I purchased a royal python on 1st Feb 09 for my son and so far it has refused every feed. We are giving him thawed out mice which we subsequently warm on the radiator to get to room temperature. Latterly, we have exposed the brain but the snake is still not interested. Last night the snake just sat on the mouse and then went back into its cave. Please tell me what we're doing wrong, we are obviously very worried as its gone 4 weeks without feeding.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
wolfspirit Posted - 27/04/2009 : 07:17:08
Ok thanks, she has a lot of knowledge about snakes...lol..
Blackecho Posted - 26/04/2009 : 19:01:19
Yes, they are one and the same.
wolfspirit Posted - 26/04/2009 : 18:54:40
thats a good link BE-)

does Rosie= Roewammi from the dark side?

met Roewammi today, she is such a sweet and caring person, and her snakes are fantastic.
So well looked after -)
Blackecho Posted - 26/04/2009 : 09:22:39
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53
dave10 Posted - 26/04/2009 : 07:40:50
thanks

for the tip,

im trying it out now,

ill tell u when he feeds

dave
dave10 Posted - 26/04/2009 : 07:34:41
hi

my snake has not not eatan yet,not for 3 momths but he has been sheading his skin. but i am still worried cuz some people say that snakes should shead hole,but persy is not. i have tried bathing him twise, but still nothing.sorry i did not reply to u earlyer.

i will find out some more tips 4 u.

plz reply soon, dave

Dazzetski Posted - 20/04/2009 : 22:55:53
I put Roland in a cup of cold water for 20 minutes, then boiling water for no more than 2 minutes see http://www.contactpets.co.uk/page.asp?id=csheet05 i follow this & it works, good luck
koreybum Posted - 20/04/2009 : 22:13:52
just wondered if your snake has started eating yet, cuz i have exactly the same problem, ive only had my snake about 5 weeks and he still has'nt eat yet. just wondered about cuz wot might work 4 yours could also work 4 mine?
dave10 Posted - 01/03/2009 : 20:44:41
Ok, will increase temp to 90F and buy a cave for cooler end. Many thanks and we'll keep you posted.
lee2308 Posted - 01/03/2009 : 19:48:23
You will also need a hide for the cool side too if you dont already have one
Blackecho Posted - 01/03/2009 : 14:56:25
You could try upping the temps slightly to 90F at the hot end.
dave10 Posted - 01/03/2009 : 10:02:01
Hi there. Many thanks for your swift and helpful replies.
We weighed Percy for the first time last night. He's 138 grams and is approximately 55 cm in length. The vivarium is approx 43 cm x 28cm heated by a heat mat with a temperature set at 85 F. He has a cave on the heated side of his vivarium and we have put his water on the cooler side, this has a temp of 68F. He is located in my son's bedroom, very quiet as most of the week Dave is at school.
We have tried feeding him every 7 days and will try putting the mouse on a bowl of boiling water next time - thanks for the tip! Do let us know if we're doing something wrong. Many thanks
Blackecho Posted - 28/02/2009 : 09:38:59
Hi Dave, first of all, don't worry. I have heard of some not eating for up to 11 months. Long periods of fast are natural.

A lot of them will take a few weeks to settle in before deciding to eat.

What is you setup like, have you got any photos?

What temperatures have you got, how are these controlled and how are they monitored?

What age/length/weight is your snake and is it losing weight?

Have you only tried mice? - How about a small rat pup?
wolfspirit Posted - 28/02/2009 : 09:36:57
Hi.

Ok, room temp on food might be the cause, when your offering food you want it to be very warm, if not hot, you can defrost normally and then warm the head with a hair dryer, or as GP does and this works to, after i have defrosted it, i put it in a small bowl over a cup of boiling water, makes the whole mouse/rat really warm...

how old is your royal, and what is your set up like? how often are you offering food?
matty18714 Posted - 28/02/2009 : 09:36:29
Dont worry. 4 weeks without food is nothing to a royal. What are the temps? I would leave him be for a week without offering food again. How big is it? What size viv is it in?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000