The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 My poorly Royal :(

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MissCat Posted - 07/03/2009 : 19:14:00
I bought a royal python in september, he was born in july 2008, he wasnt in the best of conditions when i recieved him, but he wasnt too bad, he was feeding on pinkies then, so that is what i kept him on, but he would not feed at all! i decided this was "settling in" nerves so left him to it, did not handle him and left him for a week, still did not eat. so over the course of a month i tried EVERYTHING and i mean EVERYTHINg to get him to feed, all to no avail! i ended up replacing his viv to see if that was the problem, and he did seem far more relaxed in the slightly larger one, but still did not eat, so went through it all again! to cut a long story short i have over the course of 6 months replaced his viv 4 times, and have finally found one he is comfortable in, he moves around and explores (even going up on the 3 separate levels the tank has) he decides the temperature, humidity and lighting gradients as it is big enough to vary it really well so he can decide, i also had (up until last week-more on that in a mo) a small hide in each area.
AND he began to feed, however, even though i offered him various sized/species/temperature/maimed(!) food, still would only eat pinkies. the down side is that the viv is quite big. and he is having shedding problems also, he has not shed in one whole peice at all, only in little bits, almost constantly over the course of the last 3 months, to the point where his eye looked like it was crumpling up. i know i probably should have worried more a lot sooner, but this is my first snake, but this was the point where i really DID get very concerned, so i asked the reptiles expert at our local pet center for advice, he said nothing about the size viv i have, nor about his feeding habits so dont know if im going wrong there or not, but he did say to do the following: give him a bath in warm water and help wipe off the shedding skin (not peel or pick, just wipe) and to make certain that the skin was done around his eyes as he could lose his eye if any skin was retained.so this i did and he looked marginally better. the man also said to get a pot (margerine tub or similar) and fill it with sphagnum moss (previously well soaked in warm water then squeezed out) which i also did. Ra (my royal) refused to go in it until i removed ALL his other hides, at which point he caved in and went in it and there he has stayed- to the best of my knowledge he hasnt left it- for a week and his skin is looking MUCH MUCH better, though now he is looking "muted" in colour and his eyes are milky! :s
bear in mind that aside from bathing him 9 days ago, i have not yet handled him at all due to his feeding and shedding problems, and the fact that he strike feeds IN his viv (so i am a little nervous LOL)
i am still feeding him on furry pinkies which are slightly bigger, two at a time (the first he stikes at, the second i slip in while he's swallowing the first, i thought this would cause him to regurgitate at first, but he hasnt, and he is defecating fine- or in my opinion he is at least), 3 times a week. I may going to attempt to try a bigger food substance later this week (depending on any advice i may recieve here)
another point is that the final viv i rested upon is an all glass one, with 3 shelves (that he does go on) and a top opening lid. the man from the reptile section was surprised that Ra seemed to prefer this to the beech front opening one i also tried Ra in (as the whole birds coming from above predator thing)

i will post before and after the visit to the reptile man pictures just as soon as i can figure out how to so it LOL

anyway, i know he is in a bad way and that is why i am posting this, for your advice,
I recieved an email from a man today who was really angry with me, he had seen a picture of Ra, and also that he was still on pinkies/not being handled/ fed in viv/ shedding REALLY badly and he had quite a go at me, which didnt help.
I have had A LOT, and i do mean A LOT of conflicting advice from the net, books, vets, forums and other people i know who keep royals and need some unanimous confimation that what i am doing is either right or wrong and what i can do to help Ra.
the only advice the angry man today could give me was to feed Ra on bigger things (rats) and to give Ra to him.
obviously what i need is constructive advice, not to be put down or insulted.
thanks for reading this, please help me to help Ra.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mancunian Posted - 20/04/2009 : 13:20:18
I have not been online for quite a while but after catching up with this VERY long thread it's great to hear Ra is doing well now. Well done! Your hard work has paid off
MissCat Posted - 20/04/2009 : 08:03:57
quite possibly LOL
i just don't like to clutter up the forum by making a new thread everytime :D
Gingerpony Posted - 19/04/2009 : 22:18:04
sorry, just a little OT here............ is this the longest thread on here ever??
wolfspirit Posted - 19/04/2009 : 15:21:20
i dont go on much either, and i hide to...lol
MissCat Posted - 19/04/2009 : 15:06:08
will do, i'm very rarely on msn though, and when i am... i hide lol :)
edit: yep you did it right :) i have added you too :p
wolfspirit Posted - 19/04/2009 : 14:57:36
Cat, i just added you to my msn, can you check i did it right please-)

thanks
Ninja Posted - 14/04/2009 : 14:21:07
It's a good idea mate, awesomely cute. Its given me an idea for making my viv look cool, maybe like an aztecy jungle scene lol.
MissCat Posted - 12/04/2009 : 15:14:45
quote:
Originally posted by Ninja

Omg that little hut hide is ADORABLE

i know! it's an edible one for hamsters etc, £5.99 lol. it's called a snak shack...
i thought it said snake you see LOL
Ra seems to like it though :)
Ninja Posted - 12/04/2009 : 14:44:17
Omg that little hut hide is ADORABLE
MissCat Posted - 09/04/2009 : 22:10:29
didnt show anyone i think, this is the final viv set up for ra, not very good pics as theyre on my phone camera. his moist hide is on the right behind the tree stump thing.
any feedback would be good, cheers :)
oh and i know the ceramic bulb shouldn't be on the guard, the bulb holder broke, dont worry the ceramic isn't turned on and i ordered a new holder today. heating by statted mat again :)

MissCat Posted - 09/04/2009 : 12:04:42
yes, his eyes have gone normal colour now so i assume he is still narky cos he cant see properly
wolfspirit Posted - 09/04/2009 : 10:58:07
is he still in shed Cat?
MissCat Posted - 09/04/2009 : 10:33:55
ra went a bit mental at me last night, was feeding time so there was me wriggling the rat about as i do, and he hissed and struck at the tongs about 3 times before realising i wasn't going away and he might just as well take the food. i know he wasnt even going for the food, as he sniffed at it, then slid past it in an attempt to get my hand, hit the tongs instead. he really wasn't a happy bunny last night.
MissCat Posted - 07/04/2009 : 08:10:28
yes i can see that starting to happen already ^_^
wolfspirit Posted - 06/04/2009 : 11:43:59
Cat you will notice once you move his food up that he will start to get chunkier..

well thats whats happening to Peanut, he is filling out and starting to look less of a baby now and more grown up.

lee2308 Posted - 06/04/2009 : 10:03:00
I think if they have not been feeding properly for a while and then they start eating proper meals then they have a growth spurt,hence the freqent shedding.I dont think my kings previous owners did'ntfed him at all as they did'nt have him long and were scared to death of him.
MissCat Posted - 06/04/2009 : 08:16:14
oh good at least that's relatively normal lol i was worried!
lee2308 Posted - 05/04/2009 : 23:30:01
my mexi king is into his 3rd shed in seven weeks,must be all the food he's eating.
MissCat Posted - 05/04/2009 : 22:41:14
ra's eyes have gone blue again...didnt realise he'd shed again so soon :s
lee2308 Posted - 03/04/2009 : 09:22:58
thats good to know,will have to start weighing montys food to see if he's getting the right weight.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000