The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 New Viv and snake problems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Joshua Posted - 09/04/2009 : 14:06:06
Hey, just moved my Python into a new viv because of house move. At the moment I have a ceramic bulb and and heat mat at one end, and then nothing at the other (apart from water bowl etc).
She seemed to be ok until yesterday when i found that she had squeezed herself underneath the bit of cardboard than keeps the heat mat seperated from the floor/saw dust and has decided to ball herself up ontop of it.

I don't know why she is doing this, the tank is hot enough for her, I was thinking that it might be because she is too hot and trying to get away from heat? Any help on this would be nice. Oh and new viv is slightly bigger than old one so its not to do with space...i think.

Thanks
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Joshua Posted - 16/04/2009 : 10:23:12
The thingi in the middle is a humidity monitor, the thermometer are on the sides. I have recently added some more hiding places and sorted out the temperature differences and she seems to have adapted to the new changes :) Its all amazing! thanks very much guys for your help, greatness :D
MissCat Posted - 09/04/2009 : 16:45:17
also, is that a thermometer i can see in the middle at the top of the viv?. but she is a cutie and i am in love with that viv ^_^
wolfspirit Posted - 09/04/2009 : 16:40:34
she is beautiful, and that viv is wicked, but i would be more inclined to add some more hides for her, and aim for the temps Daz mentioned.

Does that big lamp have a mesh cover or anything to stop her getting burnt on it? I should imagine as it is metal that it would get quite hot running a ceramic.
dazb Posted - 09/04/2009 : 16:34:36
when using a ceramic you dont really need at heat mat aswell...

from wot i can see you dont have a hide in the cool end which is a must. somewhere she can feel safe when trying to thermoregulate and cool down.

is it a new viv?

just noticed your temps...you should be aiming for 32*C at warm end and 22-24*C at the cool end...that will give you a good temp gradient for a royal.
Joshua Posted - 09/04/2009 : 16:21:20
Whops forgot temps, hot end is roughly 30 degrees C, and other is 26/7 degrees c
Joshua Posted - 09/04/2009 : 16:19:35
The Viv

She is about 10 years old, was my Dads...not around anymore. You can see the size of her, which is average. The viv is about 41" long and 15" deep which is quite a nice size. We use wood shavings as the substrate and the ceramic heater and mats are all hooked up to a habistat monitor.

Do you think it is a heat problem with her going underneath the cardboard, or that she is a bit stressed and needs a somewhere to hide? Thoughts etc would all be awesome

Just edited the pics for you
wolfspirit Posted - 09/04/2009 : 14:46:21
HI , what are your temps currently, both hot and cool end, and Cat is right you dont need a mat with a ceramic.
MissCat Posted - 09/04/2009 : 14:40:36
hullo :)
u shouldn't really need a mat and a ceramic.
do u have them statted?
what is the size/age/weight of the snake?
what is the size of the viv.
the more info u can give, the better people can help u :)
is the substrate u have sawdust?
oo oo how about a pic of the set up? sometimes people can point out things that u may not have thought of ^_^

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000