The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Breeding
 Breeding as a business

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lindstrom Posted - 19/09/2012 : 21:04:13
I was looking at starting a breeding project and along with most of you hope to make a little cash on the side, but currently we are starting to see morphs becoming more affordable, you can probably get a pair of spiders, pastels, yellow bellys between £300-500 it takes about 4 years to get your first clutch from babies.
With that in mind we could see a dramatic decrease in value by 2016.
After feeding and housing for 4 years you could have spent £700 add the cost of the snakes and your talking £1200 by that time you would be producing bumblebees etc which now you can get for £400-600 by 2016 they could easily be 250-350 maybe less.

My question is unless you invest heavily in multi gene morphs at the start with at least 2 female and 1 male would you see profit or even break even in 5 years?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lindstrom Posted - 19/09/2012 : 22:14:01
Im thinking of doing a nuclear project (butter, fire, pastel and spider genes) get a female bumblebee around 5-600 spend the 2-3 breeding years looking for a fire butter male thus creating a lot of double and Tripple morphs meaning more £££ and possibly getting a nuclear which if female would be a very powerful breeder!
hodgie Posted - 19/09/2012 : 21:27:49
Its good to see you`ve got realistic views and expectations and that you`ve done some research.
1st up you need to spend some money on females only, as these are the ones that will take time to get to breeding weight and age. and in 3 or 4 years time the males that you will require will hopefully have dropped in price dramatically.
I spoke to a professional breeder about 3 years ago and his advice was to do it purely as a hobby and if you manage to make money then see it as a bonus because as soon as you start producing more morphs you`ll end up holding more back which will in effect add to your costs.
Most breeders that i know keep all their females selling very few. You`ll see this on rfuk with breeders having lists of males for sale with very few if any females.
Kelfezond Posted - 19/09/2012 : 21:08:44
quote:
Originally posted by Lindstrom

My question is unless you invest heavily in multi gene morphs at the start with at least 2 female and 1 male would you see profit or even break even in 5 years?

The only real way to make any real money in it is to spend a heavy amount on a very few amount of snakes, best bet would be to buy a handful of female morphs and a single or two very expensive males. You'd have to be prepared to put down a good £20k/£25k almost straight away if you want to really make money from it.

That being said there's nothing stopping you from making some money on the side buying and breeding just the morphs you love - there will always be a market for them, best bet would be to breed and buy what you love until you're making enough money to serious go for it I guess.

But hey since most exotics die within the first year everyone will be wanting to buy more every single year! Win-Win! (*Insert sarcasm here, APA!*)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000