The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Breeding
 breeding weight

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kelfezond Posted - 01/07/2011 : 17:30:05
Hey guys.

I've heard 1500g is the best weight for a female to start breeding and 750g for a male, how accurate is this? I don't think i've ever seen a royal male or female that's 1500g I imagine it would require a hell of alot of feeding to get that weight by the snakes 3rd birthday.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kelfezond Posted - 13/07/2011 : 23:18:17
Yeah most of us feed rats over here too
hodgie Posted - 13/07/2011 : 22:57:13
quote:
Originally posted by anatess

I noticed you all feed mice. Royals in the USA are mostly on rats.

But we dont. the problem here i believe maybe that the shops dont inform new inexperienced owners of the options (well mine definately didnt) they were just looking for a quick buck. It was only my 1st one that was started on mice and because of that i still have to buy some as a starter course for her.
anatess Posted - 13/07/2011 : 17:13:08
P.S.

My male yellowbelly was born in July 2010 and he is now 857g. He hasn't gone on a fast yet (I expect him to do so sometime this winter as most males go on a fast on their 2nd winter or thereabouts). But I'm quite certain he'll be close to 1500g in 2 more years.
anatess Posted - 13/07/2011 : 15:05:33
I agree with the 1500g and at least 3 winters passed for a female. Males can be bred at 600g and at least 1 winter passed.

Our female pastel is a 2006 and she was 1000g in 2008 when we bought her. She was 1500g in 2009 and is now 2100g (well, before she got pregnant and laid eggs). Yeah, her growth in both weight and length slowed down after that 3rd winter even when she continued to eat regularly.

Our male spider is a 2008 and he's 1400g now.

I noticed you all feed mice. Royals in the USA are mostly on rats. My royals were fed African Soft Fur Rats (also called multimammates, only goes as big as a medium norway rat) right out of the egg. Most royals in the USA are fed black/brown/norway rats. They get rat pups right out of the egg. Sometimes, a royal is born on the smallish side (under 50g) and they may start out with mice but then they get switched to rats as soon as possible. Of course, there are those picky royals that just refuse to eat rats so they stay on mice but then they get multiple mice at a time when they get to be adults which can be a pain in the neck to do.
Blackecho Posted - 08/07/2011 : 16:20:13
I agree, personally I'd prefer to wait until 1500g even if some people are happy from 1200g onwards.
Royalbob Posted - 08/07/2011 : 11:38:17
Up to you but i would go at least 1.5kg. What's the rush? they loose a lot of weight after the eggs, also risk of becoming egg bound just for the sake of a few more months feeding.
Margwar Posted - 03/07/2011 : 13:59:51
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

quote:
Originally posted by Margwar

We're going to get Serenity to at least 1.3kg before we breed her, .

You really need to be around 1.5kg or the snake can become egg bound.

Ideally yes, but I'd rather go by body tone, hence why at least 1.3kg, if she is looking good at 1.3kg, then we'd consider it. It all depends if she actually decides to keep eating or not >.<
hodgie Posted - 02/07/2011 : 22:08:26
quote:
Originally posted by Margwar

We're going to get Serenity to at least 1.3kg before we breed her, .

You really need to be around 1.5kg or the snake can become egg bound.
Blackecho Posted - 02/07/2011 : 13:06:34
My older males really don't even want to eat that often, maybe once a month, the females are much bigger at similar ages.
Margwar Posted - 02/07/2011 : 10:17:31
Ha, I'm so not going to be breeding this year >.<
My four year old female is 800g and my 11 year old male is 1.7kg..... It needs to be the other way around!
We're going to get Serenity to at least 1.3kg before we breed her, anything more than that is a bonus, long way to go yet though with the looks of things.
markmifsud Posted - 01/07/2011 : 21:54:27
Kelf, my female at the last empty weigh in was 1.9kg, male is still a light weight at 1.6kg
reptiledanny Posted - 01/07/2011 : 21:12:35
quote:
Originally posted by D3lboys-Morphs

Keep em lean to keep then keen ;)

I plan on feeding less when they get to around the 1000g Mark

I've also read that some people will wait till the females 1800g before breeding
But as with most stuff the choice is your I plain on the 1500g Mark though ;)

ye, especially for first time breeders, it can be beneficial to weight for a bit more, as you can get a btter clucth, but the safe weight is 1500
Evolution Morphs Posted - 01/07/2011 : 21:08:54
Keep em lean to keep then keen ;)

I plan on feeding less when they get to around the 1000g Mark

I've also read that some people will wait till the females 1800g before breeding
But as with most stuff the choice is your I plain on the 1500g Mark though ;)
reptiledanny Posted - 01/07/2011 : 21:02:47
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

have been told that if males continue to grow alot past 1000 grams they can get lasy during breeding

very true, have heard this myself from a few breeders as well.

ye, i have been told the best way is when they get to near 1000, put them on big mice, as they get less then, and are apparently less likely to go off food
hodgie Posted - 01/07/2011 : 20:48:22
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

have been told that if males continue to grow alot past 1000 grams they can get lasy during breeding

very true, have heard this myself from a few breeders as well.
reptiledanny Posted - 01/07/2011 : 17:37:42
females continue to grow alot more than males, so is very possible to get a female above 1500 grams before there 3rd bday
males it doesnt really matter, whenever they start to produce sperm plugs then they are ready for breeding as they dont have to anything but fertalize the females, whereas the females seem to loose quite a bit of weight through breeding so is advised at least 1400 grams before paring them, and then they should continue to feed through pregnancy until there near laying
edit: my male is just over a year now, and weighs in at 660 grams, if he continued at that growth rate he would be well over in 3 years but hes male so will slow down now, and i will put him on the largest mice i can get when he is nearing 1000 grams as i have been researching from a few breeders and they have been told that if males continue to grow alot past 1000 grams they can get lasy during breeding

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000