The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Breeding
 Breeding advice please :)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jhk2005 Posted - 26/07/2011 : 18:24:09
Hi all, i'm after a helping hand, pretty please!

I've got a few adult females in 18L rubs that are coming to breeding weight except 1 really large female (patty) in a 50L, all eating well and building up nicely for the season. I just need a little help with 2 points:

I was wondering what size should be the next stage/move up and what rub to use? whether a 33L would be appropriate or to go for a 50L? have any of you had better success in the sizes inbetween?

my other question is whether u leave the hide box in the rub when the male & female are together or replace them when they're seperated on rest periods? I know this sounds stupid but I can imagine it getting pretty awkward in a 33L with all the hides, bowls, etc (also all the books / magazines / sites only ever seem to show racking draws with no hides in when referring to breeding royals).

I know there are people who REALLY hate rubs but please don't give me a hard time about that as I found they work best for me & my royals. They are all eating and shedding fine and I want to do my best to breed them and do it properly.

Any replies/advice will be gratefully received thanks
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jhk2005 Posted - 27/07/2011 : 17:04:16
Hi guys, thanks for your replys ; it's been really helpful and put my mind at rest. Most of my females (victoria/sophie/mo) are about 1.3-1.5kg but Patty is approaching 3.5kg (she's a big girl, lol!) so I wanted to be sure I do things right when the time comes
anatess Posted - 26/07/2011 : 20:20:17
I use a 64L which is the same floor space as a 33L and a 50L, just taller. The 64L has 11-inch height. I made my RUB "naturalistic looking" with vines and driftwood and such because I needed it to look nice in the room, so I went for the tall RUB.

You can breed snakes in a 50L even with 2 hides and a water bowl as long as your female is not overly huge. You will find that they will "cuddle" in one hide, so if your hide is big enough for both of them to fit in, you're good.

Here's my 64L RUB with 2 hides and a water bowl that I used to breed 2 of my royals. The hides also became the "laybox" when the female laid eggs. The female is 2kg in weight. The male is 1.8kg.

Hope this helps.
Margwar Posted - 26/07/2011 : 19:53:39
33L and 50L are the same floor space, just different heights.
I'd personally use 50, because by two lift their heads up a lot when they eat, so the 50L gives them extra room.
My female is in a 50 and has one hide, one water bowl and a fake vine in the back to act as a second hide, without taking up too much room.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000