The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Breeding
 Newbie Breeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
awag1607 Posted - 09/09/2011 : 18:07:40
Hi guys

Have bought a royal python a few months ago and have been told he is male (though not enitrely certain how to tell this?)
I am interested in breeding but dont know alot
So was just wandering if I could keep a male and female python in a 4x2x2 vivarium year round?
and what is the likelihood of these 2 breeding if I did this?
cheers
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
python23 Posted - 10/09/2011 : 11:02:11
i had this problem with corns, i kept a male and female together, the male just pestered her for weeks, biting her and following her all over the viv, i knew this wasnt fair so i split them up now i have them all separate, apart from two male royals who have been together since hatchlings, i dont know if they notice each other and get on but it looks like they do. My advice would be to keep them seperate. you will only get problems down the line.
Royalbob Posted - 09/09/2011 : 22:48:12
As bat's said you should really have spare equipment so why not start separate. No advantage to buying singular then co habitating.
n/a Posted - 09/09/2011 : 21:49:42
I just love this link!

http://www.ballpython.ca/gallery/breeding.html

BUT - breeding that little guy was naughty! Wouldn't do it!

On cohabbing - if you're going to cohab you need alternative housing in case you need to separate them suddenly ...so you might as well keep them separately anyway ...far less faff with feeding/snake mess.

The girl's going to need privacy anyway once she's full of eggs. The lad needs a rest from the tempting female ...

As for pairing them ...I admit I've never bred snakes, but I'm sure they'll know what to do ...
scubadude Posted - 09/09/2011 : 21:47:13
your biggest concern is going to be that if you buy hatchies, your male is going to be good to go mating wise way before your female, leaving you open to the distinct possibility of an eggbound female and a whopping great vet bill and or a dead female, plus it's a good idea to seperate once your female is gravid as your male will not leave her alone.
But the choice is yours, read up on cohabiting and make an informed decision
awag1607 Posted - 09/09/2011 : 21:40:15
ok guys cheers
this isnt gona happen anytime soon just an idea in the pipe line as it were
what are the chances of a successful introduction between males and females?
hodgie Posted - 09/09/2011 : 21:39:17
agree with D3lboys-Morphs on the weights, 600 for males and a minimum of 1500g for females.
Evolution Morphs Posted - 09/09/2011 : 20:11:37
I must say the weight for a male should be 600 grams but preferred 800g although it's been known for a 450 gram male to do the magic

And females should be 1500 grams preferred 1800 grams

I don't want to over lap Mark but I thought I'd post the weights I've been told

On cohabiting I don't do it and others do

Like Mark said it's like marmite some do some dont
markmifsud Posted - 09/09/2011 : 20:08:13
I cohabit 2 pairs (two in each 4f viv) but as Kelf says, its more work, I always feed out of the viv so I know who is eating and who isnt. It does work fine though, many do this, but many also frown upon it. Its a bit of a marmite thing.

Your male should be ready anywhere from 400g onwards, your female will need to ideally be 1.3k or bigger before you should allow her to go through this.
awag1607 Posted - 09/09/2011 : 19:51:53
cheers thanks the reply
I know alot of people keep several corn snakes together so I wasnt sure if same was for royals
my male is 2-4 years old, when are these guys sexually mature and ready to mate?
also do i have to provide an egg box for the female?
cheers
Kelfezond Posted - 09/09/2011 : 18:33:07
You can but cohabiting always comes with risk even when they are male and female, it makes it hard to keep records of who has shed and poo'ed, you will have to separate them to feed to stop accidents happening and there is always a tiny risk of cannabalizing which isn't pretty (assuming the snakes sizes allow that).

However lots of people cohabit snakes all their lives without ever having trouble. If you were to cohabit all year round I would say it's likely at some point or another you'd see some eggs but it can be dangerous for a female to mate before she is big enough which you cannot physically stop unless she's already big enough when you buy her.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000