The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Breeding
 Breeding season

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kelfezond Posted - 21/09/2011 : 10:40:18
Hey chaps and chapettes!

As some of you know I bought a lovely pair of fire's a little while back, both adults and the female was almost ready to breed, just hovering the 1200g mark. Well, the annoying thing is just point blank refusing to feed, since I got her I've managed to get 1 rat in her and that was just pure luck, I have literally no idea how to get the thing eating, but that's another matter.

As a pair of adult fire royals are quite expensive I offered a deal to a close friend of mine wherein he put in 50% of the price with me and next year when the offspring are born he get's a cut of the profits, which is grand, only it seems now if the damn thing doesn't eat like I was expecting her to then I may find it difficult to pay my friend back what he's due.

Question I'm asking is, is there any real reason I couldn't simulate the effects of breeding season when she hits the required weight so she can still get a clutch out next year. I mean all it is is a drop in temperature and and more hours in the dark, right?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hodgie Posted - 14/10/2011 : 22:11:33
quote:
Originally posted by chrisc

oh right i though that some just fast anyway when the breeding season starts.
do you acctually need to lower the temps for breeding?
have read that some people succesfully breed without lowering the temps

If the temps are constant through the year then aRoyal will have no idea of the time of year.
I didn`t lower my temps last winter and all of my males carried on eating.
I have also heard that some Royals have locked but doubt if it would be successful as high temps kill the sperm.
chrisc Posted - 14/10/2011 : 06:20:59
oh right i though that some just fast anyway when the breeding season starts.
do you acctually need to lower the temps for breeding?
have read that some people succesfully breed without lowering the temps
hodgie Posted - 13/10/2011 : 08:08:48
quote:
Originally posted by chrisc

not experiaced the big fast with my royal yet but as said above i blow dry the rat towards franks feeding box. soon as he smells it his head is up looking and strikes every time. good luck with getting yours feeding

You won`t always get a Royal fasting especially if you dont lower the temps.
chrisc Posted - 13/10/2011 : 04:21:54
not experiaced the big fast with my royal yet but as said above i blow dry the rat towards franks feeding box. soon as he smells it his head is up looking and strikes every time. good luck with getting yours feeding
jonoandapril Posted - 25/09/2011 : 12:56:21
haha, iv gotta give this a go! rachel always seems to be in a 'take it or leave it' mood these days.
hodgie Posted - 23/09/2011 : 18:19:33
I`d be lost without the hairdryer, best thing i`ve bought for them. £3 from asda.
n/a Posted - 23/09/2011 : 17:21:58
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

Kelf do not bank on this 3yrs 1500g because it might not happen. Had a 1700g 3yr old female that didn't go last year and another that did using the same male. She'll eat when she's ready. I've often found that downsizing the prey item gets them going though. Also try first thing in the morning i seem to get better results at 6-7 am more than 9-10pm. Another thing that really gets them going is something i got from Hodgie i think. it's blow drying the rat towards the rub, that warm rat scent drives them crazy and there ready to strike as soon as i slide the rub out.

You're not kidding ...peacefully blowdrying ratty today with my little £4 Argos hairdryer, ratty sitting in gratin dish atop linen basket outside Shahi's viv, window open, as a black and gold beak emerges from his cold hide ...

Whaat? Whassat!! WhasssaaaaTT?? Is my rat! Is my raaaaat!!!

He lunged and I whipped the hairdryer away just in time to prevent him scorching his skinhead ...
Kelfezond Posted - 23/09/2011 : 11:06:10
Deffinately worth a try, I've been using the hot water head dipping technique since my girlfriend left with the hair dryer lol .. What? I'm a man, we don't need dry hair! :P

I am however popping down the shops in a moment so I might go and buy myself one specifically for warming up rats.. wonder if the chaps in the shop will be able to suggest a good rat dryer lol
Royalbob Posted - 23/09/2011 : 10:12:21
Kelf do not bank on this 3yrs 1500g because it might not happen. Had a 1700g 3yr old female that didn't go last year and another that did using the same male. She'll eat when she's ready. I've often found that downsizing the prey item gets them going though. Also try first thing in the morning i seem to get better results at 6-7 am more than 9-10pm. Another thing that really gets them going is something i got from Hodgie i think. it's blow drying the rat towards the rub, that warm rat scent drives them crazy and there ready to strike as soon as i slide the rub out.
hodgie Posted - 22/09/2011 : 20:37:18
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

3 years if I remember correctly.

So the same age as my Normal. Its strange how we all fully expect to be breeding when they are 3 but as we have both found out some just aren`t ready.
Kelfezond Posted - 22/09/2011 : 14:44:25
3 years if I remember correctly.
hodgie Posted - 22/09/2011 : 14:02:12
I can only advise on my own experience im afraid but if she doesn`t want to eat then there isn`t much you can do. For me my last year and a half both my normal female and Bumblebee have been very slow eaters, generally once a month and they were both just over the 1kg wieght. Fortunately for the last 3 weeks they have been on a binge and are nearly ready.
As for your friend i think he may just have to wait untill next year, no investment is a sure thing unless you clearly promised to pay him back. Even then if you had a clutch they could have all been normal males which wouldn`t even been worth trying for, for a financial return.
By the way how old is the female?
Wendigo Posted - 22/09/2011 : 08:38:59
I won't be able to help with the breeding questions (still learning myself) but my biggest girl (approx 850 grams) went off food for about four months and the way I got her to start eating again was take everything out the viv except the hide where she always is. Put the head of the rat in boiling water and hovered it just outside the viv and she took it, she's has 3-4 feeds like that now. I hope this helps. And hope she starts feeding soon!! Goodluck.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000