The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Morphs
 Yet another question re spider morph wobble

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 07/09/2011 : 15:06:53
Having just read Royalbob's explanation on breeding the co-dom pastel to a normal (and understood it! Thanks Bob!) I began to think about the same thing in relation to the spider morph, which is also, I understand, a co-dom?

This is just idle curiosity, mind, but I've grasped the idea that if you breed a normal to a co-dom morph, you will get morphs and normals. But the normals cannot be 'het' for a co-dom.

So the normals will not carry the spider gene and will not be het for spider and will never make eggs producing little spiders. Right.

But even though they are, in effect, 'half spider' have they never been known to exhibit the famous spider wobble?

So I'm assuming that the wobble only comes out, in varying degrees, in royals with the spider markings or variations on spider such as bees etc?

Just interested.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 08/09/2011 : 20:03:18
LOL - Burmese are gorgeous, cool, and as bad as Siamese, and this creature below was a mongrel waif, who has taken me over body and soul and if I believed in reincarnation (which I'm not sure about) I'd say she was one of my Siamese come back ...this is Emily, wearing her 'we are not amused' expression. (But when you get to know her, she smiles a lot.) She's such a jealous little sod if I have a snake out for armchair walkies though - it's quite usual to have a snake sleeping round my neck and Em rolling about on my lap and wanting ear scratches and belly rubs lol!

python23 Posted - 08/09/2011 : 19:31:59
cheers stake, i hope so too, got a pair of het pieds which i plan on breeding next winter if they stop refusing to eat that is but im planning on getting a spider soon and a pastel. siamese cats are stunning, i have 2 burmese cats which are the most loving cats ive ever known, abit annoying though as they follow me around all day.
n/a Posted - 08/09/2011 : 19:23:34
That's interesting, Scuba, as I remember similar problems in the 80s in the Siamese breeding world (I wasn't a 'serious' breeder, but some who were ended up sacrificing size to 'typiness' - my babies were mostly 'pet quality' lol, but so lovely - and definitely not 'teacup' kittens.)

I too would be cautious about line-breeding/inbreeding any animal, but wasn't sure if this applied to herps. Yes, it would be good if the wobble could be eventually bred out but these things do have a habit of resurfacing, alas.

Hope you breed your bees some day, Python.
python23 Posted - 08/09/2011 : 19:01:44
im thinking of getting a spier or a pinstripe soon, but the wobble is putting me off the spider. bumblebees are something i would love to produce one day though.
scubadude Posted - 08/09/2011 : 14:42:05
I suspect over time the spider wobble will become less and less prominant, although it has been shown that non wobblers can produce train wrecks and vice versa, if you speak to breeders who have been working with the gene for some time the incidence of the wobble is reducing. I think line breeding has an awful lot to answer for when it comes to the wobble, and now that people are out crossing the spider with other morphs, and only using animals that show no signs of neuro issues that are coming from animals with no signs of neuro issues, the incidence of spider wobble will most probably diminish over time (I don't believe we will ever be rid of it completly)
Royalbob Posted - 07/09/2011 : 23:42:13
Didn't know that they had found normals from spider clutches with head wobble too Danny.
n/a Posted - 07/09/2011 : 19:27:56
Thanks, guys, that's interesting - you will see I'm very shaky on genetics, but the basic subject is the same - if spider is bred to normal, how can the genes not be altered ...however a head wobble, in the hands of an understanding owner, may not be the end of the world, and if the spider appetite is passed on too, well, that's got to be a real plus.

Yes, just wondered ...after generations of crossbred/mongrel cats passing through my hands, and observing the odd 'pedigree' characteristic cropping up, although I know herp genetics are different from those of mammals, it made me think ...
Kelfezond Posted - 07/09/2011 : 18:59:45
Would be depressing indeed
reptiledanny Posted - 07/09/2011 : 18:53:44
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

It's scary stuff

it is, and if it gets into other mutations, imagine what the whole royal world would be like
Kelfezond Posted - 07/09/2011 : 18:52:11
It's scary stuff
reptiledanny Posted - 07/09/2011 : 18:36:18
the spider gene is a dominant morph, meaning it has no super
if you bred a spider to a normal you would get 50% spider and 50% normals, and yes, the normals would in no way be related to a spider and yes would never create any spider no matter what
with the head wobble alot of people will say it is only in the spider gene, so this breeding only the baby spiders would have the head wobble, but recently after to speaking to a few breeders they have actually found normals with a head wobble, so somehow they have inherated the head wobble, not a bad one like a spider would have, but sometimes noticable, but further research and a more understanding of the spider gene needs to be done, and i think this is something that needs to be tested and done to try and keep it only to the spider gene (as it will never leave the spider gene as the very first spider morph was a wild import with the head wobble in its genetic coding, it has been passed down to every other spider ever produced) but would nice not to pollute the royal world with the head wobble a bit like the stargazer disease in corn snakes

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000