The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Morphs
 spider question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ppl_clectr Posted - 27/12/2011 : 18:52:06
I am considering a gorgeous 6 week old male spider to add to my zoo. I was told by a pet store owner that spiders may be prone to a genetic problem called star gazing, where their head bends back in a physical deformity. Any info or opinions?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptiledanny Posted - 29/12/2011 : 11:24:57
quote:
Originally posted by ppl_clectr

He is a 2011 baby, 50% het for toffee, and he is advertised on the breeder website for $1000, but because I will not be breeding, and will make him available to the breeder if he'd like to use him for breeding, I get him for $120. Did I mention that I am incredibly charming, and have a gift with people? ;)

ahh ok, that makes sense then. sorry to have been a bit of a serious head, just dont like people getting ripped off with hets.
and you never know, you may end up getting a nice toffee baby out of it for free or very little money
ppl_clectr Posted - 28/12/2011 : 23:37:49
He is a 2011 baby, 50% het for toffee, and he is advertised on the breeder website for $1000, but because I will not be breeding, and will make him available to the breeder if he'd like to use him for breeding, I get him for $120. Did I mention that I am incredibly charming, and have a gift with people? ;)
reptiledanny Posted - 28/12/2011 : 23:24:54
quote:
Originally posted by ppl_clectr

Well, things didn't go as planned...I chose a pastel with het for toffee...he is gorgeous and I liked him a whole lot more than the spider...surprised me. I pick him up tomorrow!

do you mind me asking how much you payed??? not being nosey, but just you didnt want to pay $400 for a bumblebee, but i now for a fact that the toffee gene is still in very high figures, with a visual being quite far into the 4 figures, and i now that even het toffees are high 3 figuers/low 4 figuers, so are you sure youve baught a pastel het toffee, as over her that would go for around 1500-3000, so over ther would be around the same price if not more in dollars. would just double check if payed under $300 for it as it may not be a het
ppl_clectr Posted - 28/12/2011 : 22:23:01
Well, things didn't go as planned...I chose a pastel with het for toffee...he is gorgeous and I liked him a whole lot more than the spider...surprised me. I pick him up tomorrow!
Kelfezond Posted - 28/12/2011 : 18:22:15
We're all entitled to an opinion and you feel strongly about yours nothing wrong with that.
I refused to buy a spider first too I took in myy bumblebee as a kind of rescue first since it wasn't eating but grew attached to her as I got her from force feeding to assist to live to defrost multi's and finally to defrost rats :D
she does have a tendancy to fall off things though I believe the spider in her is cause for that
reptilemadd Posted - 28/12/2011 : 17:40:36
Sorry guys I shouldn't have said anything because as with anything we buy if you don't like it don't buy it, and for me on a personel note i would never buy one although I do think the pattern is nice I would pick the pinstripe very similar pattern, no head wobble
Kelfezond Posted - 28/12/2011 : 15:22:03
My bumblebee has quite a strong head wobble, pretty much the same as that second video. Lovely little girl though :)
hannah2016 Posted - 28/12/2011 : 15:16:21
I agree, that is terrible!! Funny, there was a guy in a reptile shop trying to sell me one when I was getting koda, but he neglected to tell me about this problem.
ppl_clectr Posted - 28/12/2011 : 14:56:45
Oh BATS that second one was terrible. I am going to see the babies today, and they are at a registered Canadian breeder, so I am hoping that he lives up to his reputation for quality. I will keep you all updated. He tried to talk me into a Bumble Bee, but they are $400, will likely not go there. I will also post when I bring the babe home. I REALLY appreciate all the info you guys provided. So glad I found the forum :)
n/a Posted - 28/12/2011 : 12:32:54
This is a mild wobble ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEIZS-eLLy8&feature=related

and this is a bad one ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVQmiywlaJk&feature=related
reptiledanny Posted - 28/12/2011 : 12:16:20
quote:
Originally posted by reptilemadd

Sorry to add this post but jono's post just shows how selfish we are
"I feel sorry for the little blitters, but wouldn't let it stop me owning one" in that we are quite happy to breed and buy an animal that we all know has health problems JUST CAUSE IT LOOKS NICE!!!! and whilst I agree I have no idea if the snake is suffering it does appear that it's quality of life is severely affected, and if it was a dog/cat that had an illness that severly affected it's quality of life the vet wouldn't waste anytime in suggesting that we put it to sleep.........

yes i can see where your coming from, but it is not something we have bred into the spider mutation, the original spider that was wild caught had the head wobble in its genes, and has therefore been passed down to every offspring. the problem is it would be very hard to turn round and say no spiders are ever to bred to stop the head wobble, as someone would always continue to do it and sell them on the side. one of the main problems is making sure that it is never passed onto any other morph, when i was speaking to someone that i know, they were saying that it was thought someone had bred a spider and got spiders and normals in the clutch, and it was found that one of the normal babies had the head wobble, not to me that animal should have been put down as it is a risk to the whole royal python population.
i think some people see it as something that the spider gene suffers from, and do not like it, so dont buy it, and others see it as something that comes with the spider gene.
i see it as the second, as long as it doesnt affect the snake in a bad way, and the snake does all the natural things normally, like feeding, shedding, pooing etc, then the snake is fine. we now how temperamental royals can be, do you think a royal in pain would continue to eat. but thats just my opinion
reptilemadd Posted - 28/12/2011 : 10:19:17
Sorry to add this post but jono's post just shows how selfish we are
"I feel sorry for the little blitters, but wouldn't let it stop me owning one" in that we are quite happy to breed and buy an animal that we all know has health problems JUST CAUSE IT LOOKS NICE!!!! and whilst I agree I have no idea if the snake is suffering it does appear that it's quality of life is severely affected, and if it was a dog/cat that had an illness that severly affected it's quality of life the vet wouldn't waste anytime in suggesting that we put it to sleep.........
jonoandapril Posted - 27/12/2011 : 21:59:18
it always makes me sad to see the wobble, feel sorry for the little blighters. i wouldnt let it stop me having one tho, nice looking animal.
reptiledanny Posted - 27/12/2011 : 20:44:38
you should be able to, it depends on the serverity of it, some barely show it at all, some only really show it when they feed as they get excited, and some can be a nervous reck and always show it. it depends on the animal. but yes, you will be able to see the severity of it at 6 weeks
ppl_clectr Posted - 27/12/2011 : 19:19:32
Thank you, RD. He is a beautiful little guy, and I am looking forward to adding him. Will I be able to notice it at 6 weeks?
reptiledanny Posted - 27/12/2011 : 19:07:33
its known as a head wobble in the spider morph, and every spider morph has it. it is a neurological problem that affects there motor movements in there head, so there head wobbles and can do a corkscrew affect.
it doesnt really affect them that much like you would think, it can just sometimes be a problem when feeding as they get all excited and then cant aim properly.
i wouldnt let it hold you back in buying the spider morph as every single one has it, and any spider combo has it, just the severity of it differs in each animal, some hardly show any signs of, some have it extremely bad.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000