New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aimee87
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  22:21:52  Show Profile
this is what i have, its a komodo ball python starter kit, you can see the mesh top, will this let the heat out, i have the heat mat underneath on a stat but i cant keep temps up inside.... what can i do? i have read that some people wrap half of it in celophane, could this be an option?

http://www.seapets.co.uk/view-image.html?title=KOMODO%20BALL%20PYTHON%20STARTER%20KIT&filename=816112-large.jpg

My Pets:
1.0.0 Royal Pythons-Kiros
0.2.0 leaopard geckos- bella and spot
1.0.0 german giant bearded dragon- frankie

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  22:50:16  Show Profile
a heat mat wont give much heat anyway, wait till someone like BE or Daz read this they will reply, but i am thinking you might need one of those clip on lamp thingies...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

aimee87
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  22:57:25  Show Profile
hmmmm, whats one of those lol, i know its the base tems that needs to be right, which it is but i dont want the heat to escape cos hot air rises. im not going ot, i just want everything to be ok for him when he gets here

My Pets:
Go to Top of Page

aimee87
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  23:00:10  Show Profile
also, i want t use aspen, but i dont want it to be dangerous for him, so i bought him a feeding dish, but then i occure to me that he strike feeds anyway (waste of bleedn money lol). i dont want to stress him out by removing him to feed, BE if you read ths could you tell me how you feed ur hatchlings cos i see u use aspen.

My Pets:
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  23:38:13  Show Profile
wot is the size of the terranium...?

wot is the depth of the substrate...?

You could try covering the top with a piece of wood or equivilent to stop all the heat escaping. I havent used any vivs like wot you are using so can only offer advice not any solutions but i think BE has...

I use aspen in all my vivs and feed in the viv also...i place the rat on a piece of news paper where she comes and hoovers it up.

'In my opinion' aslong as only a small amount is digested, the aspen will be broken down and passed by the snake causing little problems.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  06:33:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
How are you measuring the temperatures? Digital thermometer? Is the probe on the substrate?

I feed mine on Aspen, they all strike feed so its very unlikely any will be ingested, although a small amount of Aspen should pass through easily. If you're worried, like Daz says, put some paper down first when feeding.

Go to Top of Page

aimee87
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  12:52:48  Show Profile
if i choose to uase aspn i will not use much, bout an inch deep.

i have the mat on a habistat stat and at the moment only have an analogue thermometer, i have ordered two digital ones, one for each end, the temps in there are fine by the thermometer but i dont trust analogue ones as much as digital ones, i might just cover 2/3rds of the top of the tank so it doesnt let too much heat escape.

i think i will just put newspaper down when i feed him, he strike feeds anyway but i dont want to risk him having to digest aspen lol

the size of it is 50x30x40 cm

My Pets:
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000