MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  15:47:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

mine too :) they curently love nothing best than boiled eggs and home made bread. i would get some chickens too if i though my land lord wouldn't comlain and my dogs not killing them would be a bonus LOL.

i would love to have chickens too, but not to eat, but like you my dogs would think they were dinner, my young cat might to she has a very high prey drive..the little moneky she is...lol..

ha, yes i forgot about the cats, mine would have a field day too :p
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  17:14:56  Show Profile
anyway all this bread talk has nothing to do with thunderstorms does it..lol.

it has been cracking here this afternoon really felt warm, had to go outside as i keep losing my internet connection...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  21:56:16  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Nothing I love more than standing in the garden in nothing but a pair of shorts during a thunderstorm. My kids like watching them but they definately think I'm a bit weird. The nearest I have come to experiencing a twister was at the beach when the rescue chopper flew over me and little Oscar at low level. The rotor wash caused a little twister on the ground that went right through us both. IT WAS BRILLIANT !!!! Me and Jo are going to spend a season storm chasing in the states when the kids have grown up. Thought we would leave it until then just in case it all goes a bit Pete Tong when we're doing it.

The Jahovah's have given up on us. Being a scientist I have the usual problem when it comes to the bible. One of them tried to convince me that there was a lot of science in the bible the other day. I think I just laughed, said "nah" and shut the door.

No probs here with the witchcraft Kat or the body mods Ninja. Always fancied the suspension thing but don't have the balls to do it. Watched a program on channel 4 about it a while back. I love the Aboriginal view of the relationship between man and the planet. Got a Didg at the moment made by a guy in the uk. Not one of the mass produced, mock native artwork jobs. It's made from a silver birch branch that the guy found in the woods. Hollowed out by nature rather than man. Still learning the breathing and can get the drone but still working on making it toot. Sends shivers down my spine when I hear that sound

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  22:10:12  Show Profile
completely random and off topic, i just found out that a friend of mine can do tibetan throat singing.
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  22:15:36  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
If that's what I think it is I nearly wet myself laughing first time I heard it. I might be getting it confused with the Inuit ( excuse the spelling if it's wrong) one.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  00:34:18  Show Profile
whilst we are on the storm subject, does a multi socket plug with a surge protector on it stop lightening traveling any further?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  08:36:37  Show Profile

i nicked this from some random and complicated webpage-

­ "Power surges occur when something boosts the electrical charge at some point in the power lines. This causes an increase in the electrical potential energy, which can increase the current flowing to your wall outlet. A number of different things can cause this to happen. The most familiar source is probably lightning, though it's actually one of the least common causes. When lightning strikes near a power line, whether it's underground, in a building or running along poles, the electrical energy can boost electrical pressure by millions of volts. This causes an extremely large power surge that will overpower almost any surge protector. In a lightning storm, you should never rely on your surge protector to save your computer. The best protection is to unplug your computer.

Surge Arrestors
You can also install a "whole-house" surge arrestor. You generally install these units near your electric meter, where the power lines run to your building. This protects all the circuits in your house or office from a certain range of voltage surges. Units designed for whole-house protection are generally built for outdoor installation. Better surge arrestors can handle surges up to 20,000 volts, while standard outlet surge protectors can't handle more than 6,000 volts. Some high-end arrestors can actually monitor weather conditions and will shut down the power supply to more sensitive electronics when lightning is in the area.
A whole-house surge protector will suppress power surges stemming from outside sources -- utility company problems, transformer switching, etc. -- but won't do anything to suppress the high number of power surges that originate inside your house, due to the operations of your appliances.

So whether or not you should get a surge protector depends on what sort of device you're hooking up to the power supply.

There's no reason to hook up a light bulb to a surge protector because the worst that is likely to happen due to a power surge is that your light bulb will burn out." (presumably this would apply to a ceramic also?)
it also says that a surge protector is a must for your pc, but that's all i could find, sorry lol

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  08:47:56  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
When you consider how powerful lightning is and how far a charge of that magnitude can arc there isn't really an awful lot you can do. Any lightning strike directly on your home's electrics will easily overwhelm anything that you can install. If you live in an area that is supplied by overhead cables the pylons have ruddy great big trip switches on them that trip if struck by lightning hence the number of outages in those areas at this time of year. Best bet is to make sure that your insurance covers you. That time I spent working in Southern Electric's emergency call centre was worth it after all. You should see the size of the fuses they use too. Like a 13 amp fuse but the size of your forearm .

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  09:28:36  Show Profile
that was why i asked Paulus, i live in a line of twelve terraced houses and the woman three doors away got hit in a bad storm three years ago, but the strike traveled both ways through all of the houses and knocked out my tv, she was lucky that it only blew up all of her electrical stuff...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000