A few questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  19:50:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
I have a few question for now, but theres no doubt I will end up with more later.As some of you may know, I am thinking about purchasing a royal. I therefore want to be super prepared

How long should the equipment be set up before bringing home the snake?

How long is it best to let the snake settle in? (I would leave it at least 7 days anyway, but I have read that some people leave them for 2 weeks.)

I am planning on taking the snake to the vet to have a full check up (parasites etc.), is it best to wait 3 or 4 weeks before doing so?

Is a humidity level of 50-60% necessary? I have read that some people have royals very happily at much lower humidity levels. They just place a fairly large water bowl half under or over, the heat source to give some humidity.

If the snake grows to 5ft will a 3ft X 2ft enclosure be big enough?

What substate is best long term?
I am going to use paper towels or unprinted newspaper for the first few months. Help me indentify if he has any little visitors. Is this ok to use long term?

Is it ok to use unprinted newspaper or paper towels with a heat mat and thermostat? I don't want it to catch fire lol.

I think thats it for now

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  20:03:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sash

Until you are happy that the temperatures are correct and stable enough. Might be worth checking the humidity too.

How long is it best to let the snake settle in? (I would leave it at least 7 days anyway, but I have read that some people leave them for 2 weeks.)

At least 7 days, then try feeding, if they take, allow a couple of days to digest before handling, if not, leave another week.

I am planning on taking the snake to the vet to have a full check up (parasites etc.), is it best to wait 3 or 4 weeks before doing so?

I have never bothered, but you could do it straight away before allowing to settle if you decide to.

Is a humidity level of 50-60% necessary? I have read that some people have royals very happily at much lower humidity levels. They just place a fairly large water bowl half under or over, the heat source to give some humidity.

50-60% is normal humidity in the UK, so there isn't usually a problem. Too much humidity is more dangerous to a Royal.

Yes, a general rule of thumb is length + width = snake length.

I am going to use paper towels or unprinted newspaper for the first few months. Help me indentify if he has any little visitors. Is this ok to use long term?

Newspaper is fine to use. Other popular substrates are Aspen, Auboise and Orchid Bark.

Is it ok to use unprinted newspaper or paper towels with a heat mat and thermostat? I don't want it to catch fire lol.

Yes, at those temperatures there are no issues.

Good luck

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  20:03:52  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
1. the set up get it all set up a few days before the snake arives then you have chance for fine tuning it.
2. settling in time it is advisable to leave a week then try to feed then i would personnally leave to settle untill the next feed is due then i would start to handle it 48 hours after it second feed
3.i have never taken a snake for a check up but i put all new snakes into quantine for about 2months which i make sure there has been a shed in that time.
4.humidity i dont do anything special to it until they are in shed then they have a moss hide.
5.3x2 should be fine
6.papper towels are good for substrate during quantine time and can be used long term to. you could also use aspen or similar
7.heat mat and paper is fine aslong as the mat is on a stat but should be anyway

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  20:05:11  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
damn BE he is to fast

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  20:06:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sash

I have a few question for now, but theres no doubt I will end up with more later.As some of you may know, I am thinking about purchasing a royal. I therefore want to be super prepared

A week would be great, but aim for 2+ days.

7 days should be fine

If you want to take it, I would do it after the 7 days to let it settle in, after that take it whenever you like

The normal room humidity is 50% anyway, so I (along with others) dont bother with it, but I do give the snake a damp hide when i notice the signs of shedding.

If it does, then I would get a 4ft viv, but most royals will be happy in a 3ft.

Its fine to use long term, but it doesnt look very nice. Aspen/Hemp is widly used and looks great.

It will be fine

I think thats it for now

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  20:07:26  Show Profile
Your both too fast

Edited by - matty18714 on 16/04/2009 20:07:33
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  20:07:46  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by sexychef

damn BE he is to fast

At least you're not as slow as Matty

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  20:08:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Did we all agree though?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  20:09:48  Show Profile
Yep, think so.

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  20:12:00  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
yup all our answers are the same

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  20:16:00  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Sweet.

Go to Top of Page

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  20:32:37  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
Thanks for the replies thats cleared up a few things. I've printed you all out so I have the info to hand lol.
Has anyone ever used one of those exo terra glass terrariums? I wondered if they were any good for a royal. Not a fully grown one as they aren't big enough.
http://www.everythingforpets.com/exo_terra_glass_terrariums.pet/use.id.5.item_id.6373.dept.995/
Do you have to drill holes for wires in a normal vivarium, or do they have special bits. I've never really paid much attention to that before lol.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  20:42:41  Show Profile
wot age of royal are you getting???

Go to Top of Page

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  20:48:46  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
I contacted a guy near me and he has 2 that are 2 years old. I haven't seen them yet and I may decide to travel further, maybe get one slightly younger.
If their over 2 years old, is it worth getting a 3ft x 2ft and filling it with loads of stuff so it doesn't feel so big?
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  21:30:47  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
for a two year old 3x2 would be fine but like you say fill it with hides fake plants and etc. for a hatchling i keep mine in 9l RUB's at first

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2009 :  09:35:48  Show Profile
Yep I agree, get a 3ft viv and stuff if it full of stuff

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly