New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  16:17:32  Show Profile
Running viv at minute. ( snake-less, want to get everything perfect in habitat first) to check temperature regulation. Using a blue reflector bulb 60 watt. this is allowing me to achieve 80f at cool end and 89 at the warm end. How ever a thermometer going from room temp placed under lamp in basking area reaches 95f in 8 mins. but goes on to reach 104f after 20 mins. I realize that this is to warm . Any suggestion on how to reduce the basking temperature using this lamp method? At moment i have not set up a thermostat ( i will before snake is introduced to viv .) If i increased the wattage of the lamp will the thermostat allow the rest of viv to reach temp and keep the basking temp from reaching too high a temp? In which case where exactly would be the best placement for the thermostat probe?I'm not against using a heat mat. I just preferred the idea of a heat lamp as there is also some low level lighting.

The viv is 2'x1'x1.5'. glass tank.set into a wooden cabinet.

Many thanks
Sean Paul.

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  16:28:41  Show Profile
A light bulb will generate a lot of heat when not thermostaticly controlled.

I would suggest that you go get a dimmer thermostat and a digital thermometer. This will allow you to accurately control and set your required temps which will therefore create your required temp gradient.

I use ceramics and place my probe on the rear wall at roof of the hide height and set the temp using a seperate digital thermometer.

Edited by - dazb on 27/04/2009 16:29:34
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  16:56:43  Show Profile
Hi Spor, you will definately need a thermostat, that will keep the temp to a set level and should sort your problem, it will also make sure that the bulb doesn't fry the snake. Make sure you've got a guard to prevent the snake coming in contact with the bulb aswell.If not i'm sure Reptiles-ink can sort you out
I also place the probe on the wall-just above substate a cable clip tidy (the nail type ones) are good for keeping the probe in place.Good luck.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 27/04/2009 17:00:58
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  01:15:52  Show Profile
thanks for replies. looking at stat and trying to work out what would be best. Would the pulse proportional stat best best to use with reflector/infra lamps. Allowing the lamp to stay on rather that switching on and off all the time?

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  01:37:04  Show Profile
oops . sorry should have read sticky on thermostats before last post. I see now that a pp would not really be a good idea with bulb heat sources. So i will either get a dimming stat or go ceramic with a pp and install a low watt light source. Viv will be in a darker corner of room and won't really get much light.

thanks again.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  06:03:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Good on you getting everything set up first! - Amazing how often its the other way round.

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  21:00:27  Show Profile
cheers for that. Yeah, I believe it is most important to get the habitat right before any animal is introduced. Cuts out a lot of unnecessary stress.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page