general questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  15:45:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
Just got some more questions, I want to make sure i'm getting everything right

If u use thermometers with a probe what should the temperature be at the warm and cool ends? I just wondered whether the temperature specified on the care sheet, 33C for warm end and 24C for the cool end, was measured with a probe thermometer. There can be a difference of a few degrees depending on the type of thermometer.

My snake keeps lying in her water bowl, she finished shedding 12 days ago, is this normal?

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  16:22:13  Show Profile
i would imagine that the temps were with a digi. thermometer probe.
have you checked her for mites as aparently lying in the water bowl is a snakes "natural defence" they are trying to drown the mites...
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  16:38:33  Show Profile
I use digital thermometers with a probe and set the hot/warm end to 32-33*C...

MC is right about mites...but some snakes do it to cool down aswell...wots your temps...?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  17:21:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

i would imagine that the temps were with a digi. thermometer probe.
have you checked her for mites as aparently lying in the water bowl is a snakes "natural defence" they are trying to drown the mites...

Spot on.

Some will just naturally enjoy the water though, especially if its too warm in there or the humidity is low.

Go to Top of Page

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  19:59:48  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
She definately doesn't have mites. I have checked and she went to the vets yesterday for a general check up. I wanted to make sure she was healthy. : )
It's possible it may be the humidity, it was 38-40% when I checked first thing this morning, so I gave a little spray of the orchid bark and since then it's been about 50-55%.

Could she develop blister disease or anything from sitting in her water bowl too much?
She doesn't do it everyday. When she was shedding she did it for about 3 days in a row. Since shes finished there as been 2 or 3 days but not in a row. Before I got my digital stuff on thursday I think the humidity may have actually been too high. The dial was reading 25-30% so i was spraying loads but when I put the digital in it said 70% :( Dials are definately rubbish.
Do u think its possible that because the humidity has been high, she is feeling the drop to what it should be for a royal?

My hot end stays around 30*C so its slightly lower than most. Should I jack the thermostat up a little higher. I have the probe under her warm hide. maybe I could move the hide slightly.

Maybe she thinks she's a water snake lol. x
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  21:54:56  Show Profile
30C is 86F so that temp is fine for inside the hide..24C is 75F which is maybe a bit low. closer to 80F would be better.
are you using a heat lamp source or mat? if you are using a lamp the temp will normally be a few degrees warmer directly under it so your snake can use it as a basking area if needs be. what you need to be careful with is how far away your thermostat probe is from a heat lamp. if it is to far away then by the time that area in the viv has reached 85F the area directly under lamp could reach as much a 100F+ and you don't want that.

of course if you are using a mat then you can forget about that.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle

Edited by - spor on 19/05/2009 21:57:25
Go to Top of Page

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  16:16:16  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
Spor, I have the probe from the thermostat in the middle, as lots of people advise this, and the probe for the thermometer is pretty much under neath the ceramic bulb. I could try moving the thermostat probe maybe she is getting to hot and thats why she is always swimming lol.
I could try and see if it makes a difference :) thanks
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  16:19:54  Show Profile
Hi,

you should have the stat probe under the heat source along with the thermometer..

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  17:38:13  Show Profile
I have a picture here somewhere of how I have my thermometer probe is set up... When I get the chance, I'll find it and link it.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  19:45:24  Show Profile
AH!!! Here it is!!!

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1165

I don't know why I had it in General Posts...

Anyway, towards the middle there, you'll see a description of how I have my thermometer probes set and how I have the thermostat probe set. It is a glass viv, but it should still apply to a wood one.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2009 :  13:32:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

Hi,

you should have the stat probe under the heat source along with the thermometer..

I go with WS
if you have your stat probe and thermometer under heat source then you know and can set the max temp in the viv.

I played around with all the placing in mine when i was building it. so i know what the temp difference is in different area on the viv..

what wattage of lamp are you using? just if you have your stat probe in the middle of the viv at the minute and say you have your stat set for 30C (86F)your cooler end should really be reaching more than 75F ?

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2009 :  14:08:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by spor

quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

Hi,

I go with WS
if you have your stat probe and thermometer under heat source then you know and can set the max temp in the viv.

I played around with all the placing in mine when i was building it. so i know what the temp difference is in different area on the viv..

what wattage of lamp are you using? just if you have your stat probe in the middle of the viv at the minute and say you have your stat set for 30C (86F)your cooler end should really be reaching more than 75F ?

Thanks Spor;-)

I would also state that if you do have your stat probe in the middle of the viv that your temps are going to be higher.

i use a digi thermometer to measure mine, but again if you have the probe in the middle your temps are not going to be right...and this is why your snake is seeking to cool itself in water...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  21:23:35  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
I will definately move it then. Its at least worth a try. My bulb is 150W, I forgot who asked lol.
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  21:51:33  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
The problems with humidity could be because of the orchid bark substrate. I use it with my bugs. If I want a relatively high humidity (80%+) then I spray it daily. If it isn't sprayed it will pull the moisture from the air and drastically reduce the humidity. It sounds like that is what is happening with your viv. Have you tried a different substrate in there to see if that corrects the humidity problem.

Regarding the temps: What they said

Go to Top of Page

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  22:11:33  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
I don't spray my orchid bark now, but today it has been about 60%. I think that maybe because of the weather though. It could also be that the humidity is not stable because of the temperatures.
Does anybody else have a problem with orchid bark? what does everybody else do with orchid bark daily?

I have moved the probe to the warm end under the bulb. I will see over the next 48 hours whether it makes any difference to her bath habits lol.
Thanks for all your help and ideas by the way. I am really hoping that moving the probe helps.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000