New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  15:16:25  Show Profile
Hi all, just wanting to share some of my new orchids. It's as fun as owning reptiles and you don't have to feed them rodents!

Burrageara Kilauea 'Victory Queen':

Dendrobium Aridang Green X Oliver Green:

Refieldara Jerry 'Pacific Empire':

And all together now:

Take a bow...

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  15:31:32  Show Profile
I absolutely adore Orchids...

and they are gorgeous..

whilst your here...lol...

i noticed water in the background of your photo, do you ever get crocs on your lawn?...lol..

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  15:34:22  Show Profile
Ha, when I opened this thread I was expecting to see a load of apple trees A bit of a mix up. (orchard)

Very nice

Edited by - matty18714 on 29/05/2009 16:00:10
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  15:39:01  Show Profile
Hah hah... not crocs yet.
Had a Southern Banded Water Snake though!
My neighbor got a water mocassin one time after a hurricane.

Several turtles and the regular cranes and ducks.

Check out this snapper we rescued last year!

He got washed up on our yard after last year's storm.

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  15:55:57  Show Profile
wow...are you near to any crocs?

what part of Florida are you in?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  16:10:15  Show Profile
that snapper is awesome...

also quite like the pacific empire...

right off to drink some beers and watch some football (soccer to you) to feel like a man again...

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  21:40:39  Show Profile
Jacksonville Florida is way up north. But, in Florida, we don't get crocs, we get gators. And any body of water has a potential to have gators since all the lakes are interconnected. I'm about 15 minutes from the ocean and 5 minutes from St. John's River (lots of gators there). In my old house, we had to hire a gator catcher to remove an 8-foot gator swimming in the lake in our backyard. You can see the gator at night because their eyes glow red with a flashlight!

That manly enough for you dazb?

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  22:01:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by anatess

Jacksonville Florida is way up north. But, in Florida, we don't get crocs, we get gators. And any body of water has a potential to have gators since all the lakes are interconnected. I'm about 15 minutes from the ocean and 5 minutes from St. John's River (lots of gators there). In my old house, we had to hire a gator catcher to remove an 8-foot gator swimming in the lake in our backyard. You can see the gator at night because their eyes glow red with a flashlight!

Have you swam with wild dolphins?

thats my one of two of my life dreams..never happen though...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  23:58:27  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Those orchids are amazing.

quote:

And any body of water has a potential to have gators since all the lakes are interconnected.

.....and that's the reason that if I ever win enough on the lottery, I will be moving there. Crocs and 'gators are my dream reps. I'd love to work one of those 'gator farms/sanctuaries that educate as well as supply. Even a spot of storm chasing in my spare time. Gators, twisters and hurricanes. My idea of heaven

Edited by - Paulusworm on 30/05/2009 00:02:00
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2009 :  09:48:10  Show Profile
quote:

lol...I would love that. needed to feel manly after saying i like your orchids...

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  01:47:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm
.....and that's the reason that if I ever win enough on the lottery, I will be moving there. Crocs and 'gators are my dream reps. I'd love to work one of those 'gator farms/sanctuaries that educate as well as supply. Even a spot of storm chasing in my spare time. Gators, twisters and hurricanes. My idea of heaven

I live 20 minutes from the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine, FL. It is amazing in there! They have albino alligators! And they have Maximo - a 15 foot, 1200 pound saltwater crocodile. They used to have Gomek 15 years or so ago - he was 18 feet long and almost 2000 lbs but he died (he was around 60 years old or so). They kept his body in a museum inside the farm. And they have komodo dragons now! I love looking at those guys! And of course, they have the snake house with cobras, boas, anacondas, all kinds of pythons (including a very pretty royal) and such.
http://www.alligatorfarm.com/

And yeah, we get hurricanes a lot.

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal

Edited by - anatess on 01/06/2009 01:48:04
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  10:01:37  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:

quote:

I live 20 minutes from the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine, FL. It is amazing in there! They have albino alligators! And they have Maximo - a 15 foot, 1200 pound saltwater crocodile. They used to have Gomek 15 years or so ago - he was 18 feet long and almost 2000 lbs but he died (he was around 60 years old or so). They kept his body in a museum inside the farm. And they have komodo dragons now! I love looking at those guys! And of course, they have the snake house with cobras, boas, anacondas, all kinds of pythons (including a very pretty royal) and such.
http://www.alligatorfarm.com/

And yeah, we get hurricanes a lot.

Salties are amazing. Sounds like those two were youngsters compared to some of the monsters in the wild.

I watch the hurricane coverage on Fox News every season. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for the people that lose property/family but a hurricane has got to be nature at its most awesome. Kinda like mother nature giving humanity a wake-up call about who's the boss.

I was out and about during the one we had here back in the 80's. It was amazing. I think that there must be something not right in my head

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  13:16:49  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage
Orchids are my worst nightmare, very pungent flowers, and hayfever doesn't like them one little bit.............

Look lovely though

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  15:10:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

Have you swam with wild dolphins?

thats my one of two of my life dreams..never happen though...

I haven't swam with one - but I've petted one at Sea World in Orlando. You can spend a day at Discovery Cove swimming with them but it costs a lot of money. I heard it is well worth it though!

quote:

I was out and about during the one we had here back in the 80's. It was amazing. I think that there must be something not right in my head

Oh, nothing wrong with your head at all. I know exactly how you feel! Yeah, it does suck to be in the middle of one - a few years back we had back-to-back hurricanes in Orlando and several of my friends had damage. It rarely hits Jacksonville because we are in a cove. Anyway, after a hurricane hits though, you really feel the compassion of ordinary people. Several of us in Jacksonville drove to Orlando just stopping by random houses helping people with their homes.

When Katrina struck, a group of guys from my neighborhood took days off from work, got a truck, chainsaws, and camping equipment and drove 600 miles to Louisiana just to lend a hand for an entire week! So yeah, the power of nature humbles people and brings out the good side of humanity.

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  18:10:43  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:

Several of us in Jacksonville drove to Orlando just stopping by random houses helping people with their homes.

When Katrina struck, a group of guys from my neighborhood took days off from work, got a truck, chainsaws, and camping equipment and drove 600 miles to Louisiana just to lend a hand for an entire week! So yeah, the power of nature humbles people and brings out the good side of humanity.

I think I would have done the same. It's nice to see people putting their petty disagreements to one side and working together at times like that.

I remember watching Geraldo (please excuse my spelling) on Fox News getting flattened by that wave last season. We laughed so much .

Go to Top of Page

russm
Yearling

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  08:43:55  Show Profile
I swam with dolphins in Mexico last year and it was amazing. Like the snapper as well. I tried keeping an orchid once too but it just died. Think it might be too cold in Scotland.

2.1.0 Royal - Memphis & tbc
2.0.0 Labs - Cooper & Max
1.1.0 Clown fish
0.0.2 Goldfish
0.2.0 Rats - Izzy & Tess
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000