New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lee
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  19:31:51  Show Profile
Through my now vast and expansive knoledge of royals It looks to me like Amy is starting to shed.
The humidity in the tank is currently at 40, with 2 water bowls in there.
Is she starting to shed ?

I have not handled her since sunday, and when I changed her water bowl last night she went for me
When I went to change it today, she was ready to pounce so I will wait until later for that
I have read that they become aggresive when they are shedding as their eyesight deteriorates, so they see everthing as a threat.

PS. Wolfspirit I live near you in Luton

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  19:38:56  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage
yes, she is in shed (eyes are a giveaway ;) )

They ain't happy bunnies at shedding time.

Try and add a moss box IF she has a history of shedding badly, if not, she will be fine.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  19:41:19  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Are you measuring the humidity with a dial too, as they are notoriously bad.

Go to Top of Page

Lee
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  19:50:59  Show Profile
The eyes are what I noticed too. And the bad temper .....
It is a dial, but will be picking up a digital next week.

I have read quite a lot on shedding on the net, but I trust what you guys say more :)
How long will the shed take, and when do I need to bath her (if at all)

I think I will post pics every couple of days and you guys can help me through this...
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  20:03:11  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage
snakes really dont need baths.

Sheds take "roughly" a week from blue clearing (eyes clear then a weekish later they shed)

Remember all things happen at different times.

Go to Top of Page

Lee
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  20:15:22  Show Profile
She has not fed in nearly 2 weeks. I was going to try her on sunday but if she is shedding should I leave it or go ahead ?
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  20:33:05  Show Profile
Hi Lee, your in Luton?..lol...

as the others have said, that dial thing is useless...

i ditched mine in favour of a permanent moss box,

my snake knows more than me if he needs moisture and it is there for him..

how big is she?

reason i am asking is cos you could make a moss box out of a margarine tub...and put it in for her, even if she does not use it, putting it in between the warm and cold end will create some moisture for her to shed...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  22:27:08  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lee

She has not fed in nearly 2 weeks. I was going to try her on sunday but if she is shedding should I leave it or go ahead ?

Some feed during shed, some don't. If yours appears to be off its food then I would just wait.

Go to Top of Page

Laura
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  17:17:07  Show Profile
I give my girl Sofia a bath when her eyes go like Amy's have. If it's the right time she usually sheds within 24hrs. If not I try a couple of days later.

Sofia is a rubbish shedder & I haven't had a complete skin from her but she is getting better. I put her moss pot in but she doesn't use it. She just goes round & round in her hide to take it off. It normally looks like a massacre when she has finished! :-D
Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  17:57:37  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
Obran is an 07 and when his eyes go blue i put a 5ltr RUB in the cool end of his 50ltr RUB. It fits nicely. I take it out when he has shed. He then chooses what humidity he has and i dont have to worry about making his RUB too wet.

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

Lee
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  18:09:53  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice.
I'm going to try a feed tonight and then maybe a bath tuesday or wednesday.

Just a bit worried about her going for me when I get her out :)
Go to Top of Page

Laura
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  18:15:15  Show Profile
Tell me about it! I had to use one of Sofia's branches to move her a bit so her head wasn't aiming towards me the other night. Once I got hold of her though she was ok. I shouldn't really being saying this - but females are so stressy! :-D
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  18:16:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Thanks for the advice.
I'm going to try a feed tonight and then maybe a bath tuesday or wednesday.

Just a bit worried about her going for me when I get her out :)

Lee if she is in shed leave her, she wont hurt going without food for a couple of weeks....
Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  18:18:29  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
In all honesty i wouldnt bother with the bath ... or the feed. Moist hide, let her do her thing ... job done in a week to 10 days ... her eyes will be blue for a couple of days and then go back to normal. Obran then sheds approx 7 days after they go clear.

Why complicate things? She obvously isnt happy being touched whilst in shed and the last thing you want to do is stress her out by waving a mouse/ rat infront of her or picking her up and putting her in water .... you may well regret it feeding wise. You know whats royals are like, it doesnt take much to put them off there food, lol

Ant.

Edited by - antw23uk on 07/06/2009 18:19:17
Go to Top of Page

Lee
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  18:18:56  Show Profile
Ok, I will leave it.
I know she has not fed in about 20 days already, although I think its more as the guy I got her off said "erm,,erm,, she last ate a week ago"
Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  12:08:36  Show Profile
I find humidity in my room/rub stays at 55% and this seems to be the optimal shedding humidity for MY royal. I tried using a moss box last time and it made the shed come off in parts. With it being a little dryer he seemed able to remove it all in one go without the skin breaking so quickly.
Go to Top of Page

Laura
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  16:07:31  Show Profile
Different things for different snakes I suppose. Mine doesn't mind being handled & loves having a bath. As it helps her shed more easily then that's also a bonus.
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  17:34:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Laura

I give my girl Sofia a bath when her eyes go like Amy's have. If it's the right time she usually sheds within 24hrs. If not I try a couple of days later.

Ooohhh... I'm not sure about this one. When their eyes are blue, it is one of the most stressful times. I wouldn't want to put my snakes in a bath at this time - much more added and unnecessary stress. They don't shed while the eyes are blue. The eyes clear first then they shed. So, if you need to give them a bath to help with the shed, it would be better to do so after the eyes clear.

The only time the snake would "require" a bath is if they shed in pieces and you need to get the stuck pieces out. Or, if you are just having shoddy humidity and can't do anything about it. Like last winter, humidity in my viv dropped to 10%. There were so many freeze days that I had to use the ceramic heat to keep ambient temps which kills humidity some more! I put moss, mist, expand the water bowl, no dice. When my snakes shed, I gave them all a bath with a few drops of Zilla Shed-Ease after their eyes cleared to get the shed out in one piece. I put tepid water in a little tupperware container about 90 degrees Fahrenheit. The water only comes up an inch or two so that when the snake is in the water, the water just barely covers the top of the snake's body. The snake then puts his head on the top of his body so he doesn't need to hold his head up the entire time. I dropped a rough handtowel (the cheap kind) in the bath to help them rub the skin off. Then I put the lid on with small holes in it. I put the snake/tupperware back in the viv to slow down the cooling of the water. I keep them in the tupperware for about 20-30 minutes. When I take the snake out, sometimes they have shed the thing off, sometimes they don't. If they haven't, I let the snake crawl through my hands while holding the hand towel to see if the skin will come off - usually it does. But, there was one time when it didn't, so I just put the snake back in the viv and the next morning the skin was completely off. I have gotten to the point when I can kinda predict when the skin is ready to come off - the nose part of the snake gets really krinkly and loose. This is the perfect time for a bath. This has worked for me.

Now, this is just my opinion, so don't follow this advice unless somebody else corroborates it.

Edit: Snakes take a bath too when they got mites. They seem to just know it's the best way to drown out the suckers. Usually though, they would just go crawl into their waterbowls...

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

Edited by - anatess on 08/06/2009 17:36:15
Go to Top of Page

Lee
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  20:08:30  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice

She shed today, but has the last bit stuck on her tail. Should I bath her now or leave it to come off naturally ??

Also now she has shed should I try a feed tonight or wait a few days ???
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000