Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Quick bit of feeding advice pls
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  20:10:52  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
I've just tried feeding Richard Parker with a fuzzy for the first time. He has been active, I'm assuming hunting, all day. So I defrosted a fuuzy and warmed it. I dangled it in front of him and he struck at it instantly BUT missed. Now he doesn't seem interested in it. he has realigned his jaw a couple of times.

I've left it in for him, is that right?

How long before I take it out?

Can I keep it in fridge and try again in morning?

Thanks

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  20:34:31  Show Profile
i would leave it in overnight now....

see if it is gone in the morning, if not try again with a fresh rat in five days time...
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  20:39:32  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
So I should try back onto rat pups in five days, he has fed four times on those and this was first time with a little mousey. He is currently sniffing it. Wish he'd grabbed it when he struck, but at least he's intersted.
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  20:41:49  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
if he has been eating rats dont offer mice. rats are much better for them and can be hard to get them back to the rat so stay away from mice thats my advice

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  20:42:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 337smile

So I should try back onto rat pups in five days, he has fed four times on those and this was first time with a little mousey. He is currently sniffing it. Wish he'd grabbed it when he struck, but at least he's intersted.

why did you change from a rat pup to a mouse? i might have not read your previous thread..lol..

if you can, in the long run it will be easier to stick with rats...
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  20:42:36  Show Profile
one of mine struck and either missed or let go 4-5 times last week... i just left itin the viv overnite and in the morning it was gone....

Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  20:44:36  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
When I bought him from the reptile shop they sold me two little pink rat pups and a white mouse which was about the same size as the baby pink rats. They said to try to get him onto the mouse as soon as possible because the pink rat pups were not as nutritional for him.

Is that wrong then?
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  20:47:08  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
yes. use the pink rats for a while and then use multiple pups and then seek out some rat fluffs harder to get hold of but are worth getting hold of.

steer clear of mice with royals

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  20:48:18  Show Profile
agree with SC...mice will be a nightmare when older and rats are better nutritionally..
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  20:50:19  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
ok. Thanks for the advice. He does appear to be a bit confused by the mouse. ha ha.
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  20:51:53  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
if there is anything else you are unsure about that the shop advised on ask away. we have all been told dud info by shops

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  20:51:58  Show Profile
as above....

wen your royal is older a mouse will not be enough of a meal for a royal. you could multi-feed but its better to get them on to rats as its easier to feed 1 rat rather than 3-4 mice.

It is also notoriously hard to convert a royal from mice to rats the longer you leave it. It is always recommened to make the switch as soon as possible...

Go to Top of Page

Lee
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  22:12:57  Show Profile
O_O

You learn something new every day

So I should try rats too ?? as previous owner had been feeding mice.
I bought 3 large mice and 2 rat pups but they look too small. What size rat should I be feeding her ??
I wont be feeding until after she has shed but to know in advance would be good

Shes 3 foot btw
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  22:17:03  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
about 10-15% of the snakes body wieght.

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  02:28:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sexychef

about 10-15% of the snakes body wieght.

This is great advice.

Or, you can go with the rat that is as big around as the largest part of the snake's body.

A mouse is definitely too small for an adult royal. Also, a mouse is nutritionally deficient compared to a rat.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  18:52:33  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
Hey Y'all.

Just to let you know it was gone in morning. He's hiding all happy again now. It was a massive hunting session he embarked on yesterday. From 12pm till 8pm non-stop. Thats two feeds in the two and a half weeks I've had him. Yay! Dead chuffed...and to think I almost took him back.

Thank you all so so so much for your help.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  19:00:24  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Lee.

Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  19:09:57  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
Thanks. I'm going to try handling him tomorrow night, once his tummy has settled. Can't wait, even if it is only for ten minutes or so.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000