New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  20:24:04  Show Profile
Just attempted Sid's first feed, and he took it like a champ!
At first he seemed barely bothered by the intruder in his tank but after I brushed the mouse against his side a bit, he was zoned in on it!

Firstly he struck it, but got it like square on, so after a bit of squeezing and wrestling around with it, he let go and eventually went right for the head and got it down, I'm so happy because I was worried he wouldn't go for it but it looks like he was hungry!

It was a lot longer process than feeding Slim (my corn) as he just gulps it down and thats that but I sat there mesmerized for ages with Sid! I did get a sneaky photo but I didn't wanna use flash incase it disturbed him so its no good.

I want to make sure he doesn't regurge it, but this means lifting the hide off him, is it worth disturbing him to check? If so, how long after feeding should I check?

Sorry for the long post but I'm well chuffed!

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  20:28:44  Show Profile
congratulations...

ive never had one regurge on me so my knowledge is limited on this subject.

there is nothing you can do about the possiblity of regurge, i would just leave him be and check tomorrow night.

Edited by - dazb on 12/11/2008 20:30:26
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  20:29:21  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Leave it for 24hr before you check and another 24hr before handling imo.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  20:39:38  Show Profile
I wouldnt bother visually checking for a regurge if it will disturb him, you will smell it if it has happened.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  20:58:28  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
theres nothing like the smell of a decomposing mouse to wake up to in the morning
Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  21:22:09  Show Profile
Is it really that bad a smell?

I don't normally handle Slim until 48hrs minimum so I'm used to that. Ill check tomorrow to see if he's kept it down.
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  21:27:55  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
regurge is not pleasant at all

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

peanuts
Hatchling

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  21:29:48  Show Profile
Our corn has regurged and it is the most foul smell I have ever smelt, you will notice straight away, i'd reckon.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  21:42:56  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
congrats mulv hope he keeps up the good feeding habits

i usually leave Queenie 24 hours then check in his tub, sometimes he buries mice in the substrate, then like people have already said leave a further 24 hours. seriously you will know if he's regurged but there's no reason to expect him to

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  22:03:10  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Totally agree with all of the above. You'll know if he's regurged. Sherm's not done it to me yet but if it's anything like my blowfly colonies you'll know.

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  16:09:57  Show Profile
Ta GP.
Well I went in the spare/reptile room this morning and gave his tank a good sniff and nothing so fingers crossed!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000