Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  10:30:31  Show Profile
Hehe! Well I feel like Xmas has come again.

I went around to Steves house last night and wow, his collection is impressive! He had an 08 albino, a few normals, a few HETS, some mating pastals and spiders, a platinum, etc....Over 50 snakes 85% royals! Was some very nice snakes there, and have to say the pastel was gorgeous!

The snake i was orignally after, the one I showed in the pic, I liked, but when picking it up it seemed very nervous, It kinda just froze in an s shape. I picked up another boy, and he was all over me like a rash, dangling upside down and resting on my sleeve. So I went with the him as he seemed more active, both the colors of them though seemed very similar.

Its originally from Ghana and is a CF but has been treated for parasites when it arrived, and going by the feeding record and its size...its appears to be a great feeder and shedder. Ideally I thought i was looking for a CB but going by the range of snakes he had, and there nature and health, it seemed irrelevant.

So got the little dude home in a pillow case with heat pack, and put him in his viv. He went straight to his warm end hide and stayed there for an hour or so. I turned the light off and walked out got a tea, got ready for bed, went in and checked on him and saw him roaming about his new rub. He did stop in his tracks and look up at me, as to say wtf you want?! So left him to his devices.

Woke this morning, and he is back in his warm end hide. I checked temps. Hot end substrate is 29c, bottom of rub is 31c. Cold end 24.5c

The cold hide is an upside down plastic bowl with hole cut in, as i only got one exo hide with him. he has a normal water dish but not big enough to sit in, so ill be getting a new hide and bowl at the weekend for him with maybe some foliage.

Humidity rose to about 55% when the water bowl went in there, but has remained steady at that.

So touch wood all seems fine. I am paranoid though that everything is right! Is it normal for them to stay in the WARM hide? I thought they should be thermoregulating from cold to warm etc? As long as he doesnt get to hot, i wont mind so much

Edited by - blundey on 23/01/2009 10:32:42
Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  10:31:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

quote:
Originally posted by blundey

Thats why i got rid of some substrate and turned the stat down a bit.

i know and its really good that your getting everything sorted before you get him. i never did with my first...

didnt mean to sound like i was critising you or anything...

No worrys at all, didnt think anything of it.
Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  14:51:37  Show Profile
Humidity is now at 61%. Not sure why, nothings changed other than its rained. What percentage humidity do i start to worry?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  15:26:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
65% might be getting on for too high, up to 60% if possible.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  16:21:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by blundey

Is it normal for them to stay in the WARM hide? I thought they should be thermoregulating from cold to warm etc?

Its normal. The snake knows how it wants to be

Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  16:39:49  Show Profile
I was under the impression snakes etc burn themselves quite often if on unregulated mats/bulbs, if they know how and where it wants to be then why do they burn? This is not an argument just curious.
Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  16:43:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

65% might be getting on for too high, up to 60% if possible.

Ill drill more holes, im hoping its due to the rain! Ill drill more holes or open a window if it goes above 63%
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  16:44:11  Show Profile
Its heavier bodied snake that burn themselves on mats really. Heat mats used without a thermostat are also very likly to cause a burn. Alot of people put news paper ontop of their heat mat then the substrate over that to further reduce the possibility of a burn.

As for why they burn, its because of how they feel the heat. Humans feel it within a second, while snakes wont realise they are burning unil its too late to move away.

Also, dont worry, we will never think a question is an argument

Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  17:02:17  Show Profile
Thats all good then. Humidity is still at 61%....(i have the gf at home checking hourly) It might be the water bowl is making the humidity go a little higher, or the snakees breath? Either way think i might add a few more holes on the rub on the hot end to see if i can bring it down abit, as i much prefered it at 55%
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  17:20:34  Show Profile
i think i read somewhere that snakes have their heats senses on their backs not on their bellys thats why alot burn themselves on mats...

i had problems with my humidity in my RUB. ended up putting normal vents in it. just like the ones you use in vivs which sorted it straight out.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  17:21:49  Show Profile
quote:

No worrys at all, didnt think anything of it.

thats good...

Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  17:22:58  Show Profile
Ill see how it goes tonight, really dont want to be disturbing him quite so soon! But if it starts getting to high im going to have to! last thing i need is a snake with RI, that will really put me off keeping !
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  19:27:06  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
more ventilation should cure it, did you say he's in a plastic RUB? get the gf to keep an eye on him and go drill some extra holes

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  19:27:57  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
more ventilation should cure the excess humidity, did you say he's in a plastic RUB? get the gf to keep an eye on him and go drill some extra holes

Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  21:23:54  Show Profile
Added soem more holes on the lid. Another two small rows. Dropped down 1%, but i did put the holes at the cold end....maybe on the hot end will do it? Dont want to many holes as my room is not really a the hottest room in the world, and its just pushing id say 23c in there and it should be about 26...according to some and not others :S
Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  21:25:59  Show Profile
What do you guys have your humidty at? If you measure it that is? Also what temp is your viv/rub enclosure?
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  22:20:04  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i only have a dial hygrometer - notoriously inaccurate but will pick up dramatic changes! the dial usually hovers around the 60% mark but i'm guessing it's between 50-60%.
temps wise Queenie is quite warm at the moment, around 35*C to try and keep him from brumating and going off his feed.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  00:14:08  Show Profile
my humidity is 50-60% and temps are 31-32*C...

got a dial for humidity but i use a digital one to check mine is acurate. its usually just 5% out...

you can see on the pic the 2 vents i had to put in mine to cure the humidity problems i had. dial in the middle is the hygrometer, also water bowl is in the cool end...

Edited by - dazb on 25/01/2009 00:15:15
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  20:41:44  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
nice long stripe down her tail dazb

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  15:43:23  Show Profile
cheers GP...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page