sheding
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

owain
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  08:27:38  Show Profile  Click to see owain's MSN Messenger address
i think my royal might be half way through sheding because its skin on parts of her body is coming off. and when i put my hand in her tank she hissis like as if she dont wana be bothered. does this sound right

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  09:05:35  Show Profile
Hi, you will get wiser peeps than me answer this, but the reason she is hissing is because when they are in shed there eyes cloud over and there vision then becomes worse than it normally is, it will frighten her she cant see you, what i did with mine even though he was in his moss box most of the time when he was shedding, was when i was changing water or anything, i would just slowly put my hand in so he could smell me before i did anything, and i did everything more slowly so as not to scare him. does she have a moss box? Somewhere on this forum is a pic of one of Be's snakes in a tub, but i am sure he or someone else will come along and give you some more info on this,

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  10:22:07  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
If your royal is shedding in pieces thats not good,you could try giving it a shallow warmish bath and then let the snake slide through a towel and putting a box with some moist spag moss in the viv,is the water bowle big enough for the snake to fit him self in if he want to soak?

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  11:21:52  Show Profile
all of the above, plus try misting the viv to raise the humidity...

Go to Top of Page

owain
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  12:18:51  Show Profile  Click to see owain's MSN Messenger address
yes she sould be ale to fit in the water bowl and she seems fine she has a peice of bark that she likes laying on. wat does a moss box look like.
Go to Top of Page

owain
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  12:23:04  Show Profile  Click to see owain's MSN Messenger address
how serious is this??? should i be worried
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  14:52:44  Show Profile
you should not be worried at all.. a bad shed is not a major issue.

a moist hide (moss box) is something like a margerine tub with wet spagnum moss in. or you can use strips of wet paper if you got no spag moss.

Go to Top of Page

owain
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  15:32:58  Show Profile  Click to see owain's MSN Messenger address
thanks for the info i have just gave it a luke warm bath and sprayed his tank and under his hide. early she wouldnt go under there but scince i have dampend it she loves it!

thanks for the help guys
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  16:13:40  Show Profile
you can make a great moss box from a big margarine tub, wash it and sterilise it thoroughly cut a hole in the top make sure there are no sharp edges, add some moss and bingo, i put my moss in boiling water and then let it cool before i put it in the margarine tub, my snakey loves his and was in there the whole time he was shedding...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

owain
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  17:04:05  Show Profile  Click to see owain's MSN Messenger address
in my tank i have a peice of bark that she goes under i soked it with the spray and underneath of it and scince i gave her a bath and she had been under it scince. the thing is that the peice of bark is on the side where the heat matt is. is this ok??
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  17:39:13  Show Profile
it will make the water evaporate quicker with will raise the humidity which will help. just make sure it doesnt get too humid. you dont want it to get over 65%.

one of my corns had a really messy shed last month, so i put i bit of warm water in a little RUB and put a rock in there and left her alone. after a while she was all sorted...

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  20:31:49  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
once she's shed try to get the humidity down to around 50% again, a long spell of high humidity can cause RIs (Respiratory Infections) but it should be ok for a week to 10 days.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  22:12:51  Show Profile
isnt 50-60% OK for normal humidty? and then 61-65% for shed?
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  22:16:04  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
yeah 50-60% is fine for royals most of the time, that's about normal room humidity in the UK if your central heating isn't blasting out 24/7

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Yearling

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  22:20:00  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
I just had nyo shed for the first time, I wasn't too concerned with the humidity as such, just put an exo terr snake cve in with some damp jay cloths in and sprayed the viv on the warm side every other day, she had a near perfect shed apart from the last 2cm of her tail which just rubbed off really easy.
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  23:37:27  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by owain

how serious is this??? should i be worried

Don't panic just yet. Sherman's first shed with me was like a jigsaw afterwards, retained eyecaps, etc. Just gave him a bath, put in a moss hide and it came off in bits. This time round I bathed him after his eyes cleared, put in a moss hide and it came off in one piece. Sometimes they just have a bad shed .

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000