Starting from the beginning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Samantha
Snake Mite

10 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  22:15:11  Show Profile
Ok people i have a few questions and what to ask your opinions.

I've read loads of care sheets and many many books. They all say the same thing near or less but i wanted to know from you guys who are here now keeping and breeding royals what the best thing/s are for a royal

There has been so many different idea for viv/tanks some talk about RUB others viv, please tell me your experience and what you find works best for you. I currently have a 2ft viv in waiting for my royal once i have done enough reserch and found a reliable source to get one from.

Feeding, pretty much the same as corns i believe,yes? With the corns i know how to judge the size of there feed depending on there width, how and where on a royal would you do this on a royal?

I think thats pretty much it im sorted really just wanted to clear a few things up.

Thanks everyone for your help i look forward to your replies

Sam x

kay
Hatchling

64 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  22:47:56  Show Profile
Hey & welcome!

My royal is about 9 months old and Ive got him in a 2ft wooden viv, with heat mat and lightbulb at one end, moss hide at the other, and theres also a hide at the hot end. Its all thermostated and the hot end doesnt go above 87F.
Ill prob move him to a slightly bigger viv when a bit older.

I think most people on here like you to get your royal onto rats asap, more nutritious. I started with rat pups, now hes on rat fluffs.

I by no means know that much as he is my first royal, but the people on here are wicked, and will help u no end.

Have fun choosing! And post some pics when u do!

Kay x
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  00:06:57  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi Samantha, you're right in that the food size should be approx the girth of the snake (as with Corns).

Viv size is dependant on the size of the snake, Royals love to feel secure in smaller spaces.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  19:27:05  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Viv size is dependant on the size of the snake, Royals love to feel secure in smaller spaces.

for example a 2ft x 1ft viv would be suitable for a royal up to 3ft long

because royals have chunkier bodies than corns feed a prey item the same girth as the snake at it's thickest point or maximum 1.5 times the girth of the snake.
getting them onto rats sooner means you should only need to feed one prey item instead of feeding 3-4 mice to make a meal of the smae size.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Samantha
Snake Mite

10 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  22:46:22  Show Profile
Ok with the feeding, a corn snake is the same width all the way down where a royal is thinner at the neck so where on the snake do i 'measure' against? Would the thickest part not cause problems for swallowing? I feel so thick lol how anyone would think i have two healthy corn snakes. I know this sound stupid but i need to make sure im happy with everything before i take on the responsibility of a life.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  10:05:47  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
their necks are surprisingly stretchy, they can manage a prey item as thick as the thickest part of their body, 1.5 times the width is a maximum guideline.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  10:31:27  Show Profile
I was shocked to samantha, as there heads and necks are tiny but there mid section is fat....but its quite facinating to watch there jaws stretch and there neck stretch to fit it in! Youll be amazed at the size they can eat!
Go to Top of Page

Samantha
Snake Mite

10 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  17:55:05  Show Profile
Ok thank you everyone for your help i will be fine with the feeding, just needed to make sure i was going to be getting it right.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000