Do royals/snakes really choose a hot and cold side
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  17:48:20  Show Profile
Last night my royal flooded its rub again with copious amounts of wee plus a urate ball.

So cleaned him out and put his hides back in. Bother hides are exo terra caves. One that he came with and the other i bought as new, but they are the same. I switched his preferred hide to the cold side of the rub, and woke this morning to see he had setup camp in the cold side! So this means that he DOES have a preferred hide and that he will suffer cold or hot to actually stay in it! Before he would spend all day everyday in the warm hide and not thermoregulate.

Worrying?

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  18:05:47  Show Profile
Not really worrying, just because he feels cold to you doesnt mean hes not at the temp he wants to be

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  18:08:29  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
He will soon get fed up with the cold side and go back,i think they do have favorit hides as mine would used to favor his cocnut shell even though he was too big for it,but would nip back to the warm side when he really neede it.Thinking about it that might of been why he went off his food because i took it out and put a exo in.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2009 :  20:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
It's understandable, everyone has habits- try this (if you are coupled up)- get into bed on your partners side and see what happens!

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2009 :  21:26:13  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

It's understandable, everyone has habits- try this (if you are coupled up)- get into bed on your partners side and see what happens!

I usaly get a dig in the ribs and told to move

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2009 :  23:50:53  Show Profile
yes, they definitely have hide preferrence. a lot of times, they would feel obliged to give up heat for security or vice versa. I used to have this tiki hut for a warm hide and an exo-terra for a cold hide. I don't ever see my snake go in the tiki hut - too big an entrance hole. So, I replaced it with another exo-terra and now she goes on either one of the spots. But, I could see how even if it's the exact same hide, that they may still find one hide more secure than the other. But, I don't think they'll stop thermo-regulating just because they don't like the other hide. When they really need to, they'll sacrifice security for a warm spot. But, I'm no expert, so yeah.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  09:34:20  Show Profile
My Royal ALWAYS went for under the water bowl but has now changed preference for the exoterra caves. He seems to rotate preference every few months but will go to that hide wherever it is placed in the viv.

Kaz is right, we all seem to have a favourite spot. There's always trouble if someone sits in my recling armchair!

1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000