New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  12:55:09  Show Profile
I'm sure this has popped up 300 million times before but I can't find anything about it on here. I'm very creative given the right materials and have decided that I want to make a show-stopping viv. The woodwork is fine (My dad is a master-crafstman capenter so I will more than likely be cheating in that respect!!), however I will be doing the interior on my own. What kind of materials could I use to make fake, rocks, background etc etc etc? Sealants I know about, elctrics, stats, lighting - No problem. Just really want to push the limits landscape-wise. I have at the moment, a Royal and a Beardie but should this project go well, I will be looking at expanding. So the whole thrust of this topic is fake rocks, backgrounds and so on.

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  13:08:42  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
there was a post on the corn site about making rocks ect out of polystyryne,i see if i can find it.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  13:15:04  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
how about this http://hubpages.com/hub/Fake-Rock-Instructional

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  13:26:36  Show Profile
Top man. That's pretty good, cheers! Also has anyone heard of Habacrete - it is apparently the bees knees but it costs an absolute fortune. Don't mind paying but if it's sh*te then i will be understandably upset.
Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  09:10:53  Show Profile
And also I have been told about something called hypertufa, does anyone know anything that can help me? Please.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  09:49:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'd just use grout

Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  14:09:09  Show Profile
I've looked all over the internet and grout is A: Too heavy when dry, and B: Not a lot of people trust grout.
I'll be honest, I don't really want to use something if there is a shadow of a doubt, I wouldn't want to put my little fellas at risk.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  14:58:13  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
What's the doubt, I've never used it, but I thought it sounded like a good idea.

Plus it can't be any heavier than an Exo Terra hide if you're just covering Polystyrene or a marg tub?

Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  15:36:11  Show Profile
Apparently it's not so much the grout in doubt (yeah i know - sorry), but more the sealant used, apparently due to its latex content. Also I am planning to create an actual landscape so there will be a fair amount involved, which would make the damn thing ridiculously heavy and unmanageable. I have seen so many do's and don'ts so far that I'm really stumped as to what is or isn't sfae, suitable and affordable!!
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  16:47:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
lol - make sure you post pics when done

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  17:46:50  Show Profile
i use normal sealant/glue in all my vivs and never had any issues...i know everyone says use aquarium sealant but i dont really know why.

i know they say they do cos its non toxic and safe to animals, but then your told its ok to use varnish, tile grout and 'no more nails' in there...

from wot i understand its down to the fumes/vapors. but as long as you leave it ventilated for a few days it should be ok.

Edited by - dazb on 12/03/2009 17:49:06
Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  12:00:53  Show Profile
Well i think my final decision is going to be polystyrene boards (cut, shaped and glued using no more nails to form basic landscape), great stuff foam (to aid in landscape forming), aquarium sealant - the black stuff to seal everything in and allow for water feature/s, and the paint is being researched at the mo. I am also going to attempt my first self built viv. Rest assured, pictures will be forthcoming regardless of the results (Although i am quietly confident as i am a bit of a perfectionist and will not rest until satisfied).
Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  08:22:35  Show Profile
Well i've started my practice interior now. ?Its going to be in my Beardie's viv. I will post pictures when it's done. I'm going for a naturalistic type, with a water feature and (hopefully) some live plants. If this goes well then I will be starting on the real deal, including making my own viv in a few months. Wish me luck!!
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  10:09:36  Show Profile
you never know, you might have a few of us asking for you to make one if they are good

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  12:45:28  Show Profile
Does anyone know what kind of terrain a Royal would expect to see in its natural environment?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  12:57:55  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
A rodent burrow.

Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  13:48:21  Show Profile
In terms of sorting him out a natural environment. Jungle floor, desert floor? Or does he spend most of his life underground?
Go to Top of Page

clunch
Hatchling

65 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  14:13:13  Show Profile
any fine wood chips or asphen is ok for flooring. i think adding a borrow of some sort is an optional extra but as long as hes got a few hides i dont think there essencial. i suppose it deppends on the specific royal they all have individual likes and dislikes. for examle mine sleeps ontop on a stick on plant some times :)
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  14:30:19  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Most of their life would probably be spent underground. They originate from Africa, so are not from a jungle habitat.

Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  10:44:52  Show Profile
Advice for anyone planning a custom viv interior: When using expandable foam, be advised that it expands......quickly......further than you thought it would.....onto your £$*% iphone.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  11:44:34  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
So expanding foam, erm, expands? - They should put that on the side!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000