New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  18:39:55  Show Profile
Well this has been an ongoing project, taking up a lot of my lounge for a while much to the OH's annoyance lol.

Basically it started as an old wardrobe from before I moved out of my Mum's. I have no pics of the wardrobe before unfortunately, but here are a few of the finished(ish) product.

The windows/glass are a set of sliding windows I picked up whilst dropping something off at my local 'refuse centre' (tip) for a fiver.

All in all, this build has cost me very little, infact I think I only paid for the screws, some glue, the vents and the glass (£5) and some aquarium sealant, so like under £20? It's not the most attractive viv, but it does the job and didn't cost me loads, and I had a whole load of fun building it.

It's not finished but I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

- Quick sneeky one of my snake corner lol.

- Almost finished.

- Glass in.

- Gives you an idea what the glass is like, it's in a metal frame. Not flush with viv but very sturdy.

Hope you like, just a testament to DIY vivs lol.

I might get some white paint to touch up some of the bits where the melamine coating has chipped off, it's never going to be a designer bit of furniture but I'm well proud!

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  18:40:47  Show Profile
Oh... forgot to say, it's for a Boa
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  19:56:31  Show Profile
Looks good Very strong too.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  20:24:05  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
good job mulv,what planning for the empty viv's

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  20:46:18  Show Profile
Oh yeah, forgot about the other two.
The middle is a 4ft divided into two, Sid (my Royal) and Slim (my Corn) are going in either half til they out grow them. The 3ft on top was going to be for Sid but I'm going to either sell it and get a 3x2x2 or break it up and use the glass in a home-built 3x2x2.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  22:21:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mulv

The middle is a 4ft divided into two, Sid (my Royal) and Slim (my Corn) are going in either half til they out grow them. The 3ft on top was going to be for Sid but I'm going to either sell it and get a 3x2x2 or break it up and use the glass in a home-built 3x2x2.

and i bet your miles from me, i am after a 3x2x2, want it for Quetza

great job on building that other viv by the way...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  10:07:32  Show Profile
looks great mate...well done...

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  19:44:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

quote:
Originally posted by Mulv

and i bet your miles from me, i am after a 3x2x2, want it for Quetza

great job on building that other viv by the way...

It's a 3x1x1 though lol. I want a 3x2x2 too, thats why I might just nick the glass out and build a 3x2x2.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  22:20:10  Show Profile
can you build two..lol..

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  11:56:41  Show Profile
Mulv, what did you glue the runners in with and also what kind of sealant do you use? reason i am asking is cos the shop near me has two very nice white cupboards and i am thinking that they would make good vivs all it needs is the sealant runners and glass...oh and some vents...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  15:48:49  Show Profile
I didn't actually use runners in the end but from what I've been told they stick just fine with the same sealant as the rest of the viv. That also goes for sticking in vents.

Sealant wise I got some aquarium sealant (just to be sure it wasn't toxic) from a local reptile/fish shop. I did try B&Q but didn't trust that it wouldn't be harmful.

Warning - when it says use in a well ventilated area - don't be cocky like me and do it in your front room anyway, it bloody well stinks lol.
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  16:21:24  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

....what did you glue the runners in with and also what kind of sealant do you use?

With Jo's gecko viv that I built her I used superglue for the viv runners and B & Q own brand kitchen/bathroom sealant to seal it. The viv doors were perspex rather than glass hence the superglue. For glass doors something like Evostik should be strong enough to hold the runners in place. Stating the obvious but make sure that the fumes have evaporated completely before putting anything in there. Mine sat in the garage for about 2 weeks before I brought it indoors and set it up.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  16:53:45  Show Profile
ok, well i might as well give it a go, the cupboards are only a few quid so if i screw up then it wont be to much..lol..but if i dont i will have two vivs out of it, just wish it was dark wood..

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  10:02:18  Show Profile
Exactly, when the raw materials are only like a couple of quid or in my case - free - then it doesn't really matter, just have a bash at it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000