Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

drew0z
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  21:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have just checked on my royal and discoverd this he was fine this morning and think he may have got stuck somewere in the viv and freed himself but can not find where the damage looks quite severe and dont know what action to take at this verey moment in time please help or advise if there is a way i can treat it at this moment with something to prevent infection or wether vetenary action should be taken immediatly and will they grow back :(

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  21:18:48  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
id see a vet for that it looks quite bad, what hides do yo have in viv and is the bulb/heat source guarded and statted

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
0.1.0 Snow Cornsnake- Lumi
1.1.0 Hypo Sonoran Dwarf Boa-Bart and Maggie
0.1.0 Albino Pine Snake-Ruby
1.0.0 Bredli Python-Brian
1.0.0 Western Hognose-Hal
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
0.1.0 Honduran Milksnake-Jubbly
1.1.0 Salmon Boas-Hershey and Sam
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos-Spot and Chocolate
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
0.0.1 Pandinus Imperator/emperor scorpion
Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  21:19:42  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just noticed in pic is that his rub in background?

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
Go to Top of Page

HaydenK
Yearling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  21:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww! Poor little Guy! The only advice I could give is to get him straight to the reptile vets.

Have a look at this thread, it has some vets recommended by the other forum members.
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=623

Keep us updated. :(

Edit:- If you do find something, show us with a picture.

3.0.0 Normals
1.0.0 Pastel
0.2.0 Normals
0.1.0 Amel Corn

1.2.0 Bearded Dragons (CHRISTMAS PRESENT)

Edited by - HaydenK on 23/07/2012 21:26:38
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  21:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to add to above comments. If you have him in a rub, I would now put kitchen roll as substrate, and remove all the unneccesary items from there. So it doesn't irritate him while moving. Check everything over, something in there has caused this!

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
"The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about"
"On the internet you can be anything you want, its strange that so many people choose to be stupid"
Go to Top of Page

drew0z
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  21:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes its his rub just normal exo terra cave im running a heat mat from a mat stat with a exo terra digi thermometer i have checkedthe plant on every stem no wire showing no shap edges on rub only explantion i have is he burrows i know it unushual but he dose and i think he may have got jammed underthe cave temps ar all fine on nowhwere he may have tried to escape from rub i need help on what i can do for him at this momentt eg change substrate to ?? any ointment that may help till the morning as i carnt get to vet till first thing in the morning
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  21:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did my post work? It's not showing for me.

EDIT: see it now.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
"The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about"
"On the internet you can be anything you want, its strange that so many people choose to be stupid"

Edited by - Stewy-C- on 23/07/2012 21:36:51
Go to Top of Page

Unamed
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  21:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you need paper towels for now. and just have 2 hides + water bowl and no decor

0.0.1 Python Regius
Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  21:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jesus. Get it to a vet ASAP. How the hell he got like that in the rub. did you drill air holes?

Go to Top of Page

drew0z
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  22:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 hides and paper towels are down i have just changed this very second and now checking ald substrate for sharp matter eg large sharp peices of aspen and re checking plant decore please i hope no one thinks i am a bad keeper my animal is my no1 priority i check him regularly and have family memberst to check when i am in work this has happend within the last 4-5 hours from last checking as it was my day off today i am utterly devistated an what has happend and how i have missed something that may has harmed my animal but i cannot find any results :( so if any one has any bad views of me as a keeper that is fine but just read above.... i am also woundering if i should lower my temperature a little because of lost scales and its a open wound and my not help i know the temperature is imortant but im thinking will he be comfertable beacause of the wound and will the heat be to much for the open wound and i am running a stat so allis clear thanks
Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  22:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think anyone would do this on purpose mate. Just keep him safe like you are doing then get him to the vets in the morning.

Go to Top of Page

drew0z
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  22:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no the rub is made for small reptiles animals ect so air holes are in place allready with acsess hatches on lid bad wool
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  22:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would stick his RUB in the warmest room in the house without his heat source. Then take him the vets tomorrow.

Very strange that you can't find the cause. I doubt the weight of a hide could cause this damage.

I personally don't think of you as a bad owner because of this.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  22:10:13  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i would check your hides they sometimes have sharp edges from the moulding process, where was the skin that has came off lying

1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
Go to Top of Page

drew0z
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  22:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i can honestly not give a explanation on what has caused this i have been over every aspect of his rub icluding rub decore hides water bowl substrate (any sharp bits) my only idea i have is is he burrows i know it unushual but he dose and i think he may have got jammed under the hide but like u say the the weight dosent seem to be enough soidont know
Go to Top of Page

Unamed
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  22:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question for experienced keepers. Is it possible he had retained shed that got tight and when this snake got jammed under his hide it has torn? Or maybe a skin deformity where the skin is tight?

0.0.1 Python Regius
Go to Top of Page

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  22:31:15  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That 3rd picture down - there looks to be a large splinter sticking into the pink flesh of the snake - what is that??

www.royal-balls.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/dandavisreptiles
Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  22:34:37  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is you heat mat in or under rub?

1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  22:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This really isn't a debate what happened thread. It is a nasty injury and the setup will have to be fully investigated, you can't have a injury like that and not leave a trace on what caused it as huge sections of skin are missing. The set up will need stripped and disinfected anyway turning into a critical care setup so the cause will most likely show up when this is done.

What is important is that this snake sees a vet right away, its a big open wound and is already contaminated with splinters of substrate, infection WILL set in on a wound like that very quickly so antibiotics is an absolute must, the sooner the better. It will also need cleaning up and pain relief, they may not show signs of pain as such but that will be incredibly painful and causing untold suffering.

Go to Top of Page

HaydenK
Yearling

United Kingdom
341 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  22:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it possible that the snake may have escaped partially by pushing the lid up and then got stuck halfway when it tried to get back in (silly question I know but need to know all the possibilities)

Anyway, can you upload an image of the set-up you had?

3.0.0 Normals
1.0.0 Pastel
0.2.0 Normals
0.1.0 Amel Corn

1.2.0 Bearded Dragons (CHRISTMAS PRESENT)
Go to Top of Page

drew0z
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  23:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not a burn I missed a point of the scales were still attached when animal was found and then came away when I lifted animal to take a closer look the splinters you see in photos are no longer on the animal and I have examined closely for any others and carefully removed not none had impailed animal just stuck to wound the cage has been fully disinfected cleaned of all!! Loose substrate decore all that remains is two hides kitchen towel water bowl with bottled water heat source(mat under rub linked to mat stat) I am still checking for signs of the cause but none found as of yet but will update if found I appreciate everyone's help more than I can tell you but its as everyone says the animal needs a vet and I'm on the case I will update on any news or if I find possible cause of problem thank you very much for all your help and concerns
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000