Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2012 :  09:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My little sisters baby corn has managed to escape her faun

I've told her to put down flour so she can she if she has gone through, put her heat mat on the floor with a couple of hides over it so she will hopefully find the eat and to put a couple of prey items down aswell. Is there anything else I should tell her to do?

Also I've read of snakes turning up like 6 months later but what are the chances of a 6 month old corn surviving?

1.1.0 Normal Royal Pythons... Kane (CF11) + Frankie (CB11)
1.0.0 Spider Royal Python (CB13)
1.0.0 100% het kahl albino boa Dexter (CB13)
1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
0.1.0 Red Harlequin Crested Gecko... Charlie
0.1.0 Albino Leopard Gecko... Cleo
1.1.0 African Green Mantis
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie
1.1.0 Cats... Ebony and DK

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2012 :  10:28:00  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
In this weather, pretty high :)

A trick you can do is get a large coke bottle, cut the top off and reverse it, then glue it all together, put a rat inside the bottle - snake goes in for rat and should have some difficulty getting back out.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2012 :  10:29:20  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
From our limited experience of escapees. I found that they seem to curl up in a tight dark space not far from the faun. If it was on a set of drawers, for instance, check in, behind and around them first. Hope you find him.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.

Edited by - Baobab on 25/07/2012 10:30:51
Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2012 :  11:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm only worried kelf cause she's a tiny little thing so thought I'd best ask.

I'll tell her about the coke bottle.

Already checked around the drawers, but they're gonna check and pull out the whole room.

1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2012 :  23:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah its a systematic detailed search radiating out from the faun. In this weather she will be plenty warm enough and I've heard of them turning up a year later so they can survive long times. Bottle traps and vigilance is your best bet. Good luck, think small and dark and its probably curled up there as there is a lot of noise and fuss around as you dismantle the room. Oh and check washing before washing it, bin bags before binning them etc.

Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2012 :  23:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corn snakes a little buggers at escaping!! I bought mine a viv exotic when it turned 1 year old, and it escaped from the wire hole at the top in 2 days!!!
Few tips:
It probably wont be far from the viv....

Flour along door entrances

Bottle trap (mentioned above, might be worth braining the pinky to give a better scent, I put a heat mat under one as well to make it warm and smelly)

Leave a few scrumpled tshirts on the floor, preferably somewhere warm. They love hiding in piles of clothes.

Leave plastic bags around the walls, snakes tend to stick to walls of a room and you will hear them crinkle if it passes them.

It will probably only move around at night/in the dark so its sometimes worth having a stake-out with a torch

Hope this helps, and good luck.

1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python - Juju CB11
0.1.0 Western Hognose - Hetti CB12
1.0.0 Fire Harlequin Crested Gecko - Jasper CB13
0.1.0 Het Kahl Common Boa (bci) - Pandora CB13
1.3.0 Viper geckos
1.1.0 66% PH Toffee 50% Kayuadi reticulated pythons
0.1.0 Platinum Tiger Reticulated python
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
Yearling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2012 :  23:50:36  Show Profile  Visit Cookie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aw hope you find him soon! That bottle trick sounds like a good thing to try!

Good luck!

1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Sebastian, Romeo & Gypsy)
Go to Top of Page

Unamed
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2012 :  00:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My leopard gecko went missing for 6 months. Only found him because he got spooked one night when we came home and he dropped hi tail. Other wise I would of never of known he was around.

Strange thing is his tail was fat so he was deff eating. We found him behind the washing machine

My corn escaped the day I got him. Started searching my room in a circle starting from next to the rub. Found him under my bed.

Good luck to you

0.0.1 Python Regius

Edited by - Unamed on 28/07/2012 00:20:46
Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  15:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you had any luck mate?

1.3.0 Viper geckos
Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  09:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah afraid not :( my sister is devastated

1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  14:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't give up and keep looking.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  20:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, plenty of people have had lost corns turn up over a year after they went missing, and they have been perfectly healthy. Chances are it has probably settled down somewhere warm and you wont be able to bait it out. Some places to check are behind or under any fridge/freezer units? any kind of appliance that will give off heat, and also look behind and around sinks/toilets. inside bed sheets?

1.3.0 Viper geckos
Go to Top of Page

Jayde
Yearling

United Kingdom
291 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  22:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clothes drawers! My corn made a run for it after the decorator moved the viv and accidentally popped the vent into the viv. Worst 6 days of my life, I spent each night waiting up aslong as I could until I conked out to try and spot him moving in the dead of the night. Came back one evening to the most horrendous smell in the room and he'd left a lovey huge present along the new painted skirting board, and knew he must have managed to get out of the room as it was right by the door way. That Sunday on the 6th day of him being out on an adventure, I dedicated the day to tipping the house upside down to find him, starting in the room (just to be sure) moving in a clockwise, top to bottom motion of the room, then the same on the landing, then started in the room next door. Got to the second chest of drawers filled with winter clothes, 3rd draw down... Sneaky Alan the 4ft bright orange snake havig a cosy little rest. Scared the living hell out of me when I realised he was gone and how I survived the days on the mere few hours of sleep I was getting I don' know, but knowing you have done everything you humanly can to try and find them is all you can do, and 9/10 impeccably thorough searching is the answer! I would say check everything right down to the insides of pairs of sock, inside folders, bound books, inside shoes. Wardrobes inside coat/jacket/hoodies /dressing gown pockets hood. Even if it seems impossible or crazy.. Look! I'm yet to have words with him about fouling the new skirting boards! Lol
Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  22:18:36  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many years back when I first got my corn Shorty, she escaped and we found her curled up inside my parents new leather sofa, my mum wasn't best pleased I had to cut a huge hole in the back of it just to get the lil bugger out lol

keep us posted and good luck!

Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  05:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Jayde says, your just gonna have to look everywhere. And everywhere you think your snake couldnt possibly get, thats exactly where it will be!!

1.3.0 Viper geckos
Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  09:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it's been over a month now and she hasn't turned up :( she's only a little baby which is why we're so worried about her

1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie

Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  13:34:51  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Keep up the hope, there have been others that have turned up after longer times missing.
You could try what jamieaisha1 did and turn off all the houses heating except for the fauns on the floor.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000