Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  20:40:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How heavy is he?

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  20:54:48  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
240g on 29/09/2008, 226g on 24/09/08, 214g on 21/09/08, and 199g on 16/09/08. Purchased on 11/09/08 as a one year old.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  21:30:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Either a medium mouse or preferably onto small weaner rats.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  21:38:42  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cheers dude.

Would it be advisable to feed every 6 days as Daz suggested?

I'll get some weaner rats from the supplier at the weekend. I've still got some mice in the freezer so I'll hold onto those too just in case.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  22:18:46  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rocky is about the same size, I always have a root through the freezer at my local shop and pick out the smallest weaners. If he doesn't take the weaner you could try him on a couple of rat pups until he's used to the Rat taste.

I would increase the time between feeds though. Have just checked Rocky's last 3 feeds, they were 6 days, 5 days, 7 days.

I set my snakes a minimum and maximum duration between feeding, then when I see them out hunting, feed them the next day. Rocky is on 5 - 10 days at the moment. So if he's out hunting before day 5, he still only gets fed on day 5 and if he hasn't been out looking for food before day 10 he still gets offered food on day 10.

Hope that makes sense?

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  22:45:29  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That all makes perfect sense. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  22:55:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No probs.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  17:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so do you wait for your snakes to be actively hunting before fedding BE.??

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  18:11:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, unless they reach the upper limit I have for them, then I offer anyway.

I know its easier to remember if you say 'right I'll feed every Sunday', but I prefer to vary it a bit and let them choose, can stop over-feeding too.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  18:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i used to do that wen my corn was younger, but now they only seem to come out wen ive gone to bed so i have a set feeding day.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  20:39:08  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

... I prefer to vary it a bit and let them choose, can stop over-feeding too.

I do that with the cornsnakes and Queenie, he's pretty much active on the 4th day after a feed so i feed him every 5. i need to get some bigger mice in as he won't take multiples, then maybe he'll go a few extra days between feeds.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  21:31:09  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Got some small weaner rats today. I'll give it 5 days from his last Stuart then offer him a "Roland". (Sorry GP, but I just can't help naming them! )

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  09:09:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck Paul, hope he takes to them.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  10:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

Got some small weaner rats today. I'll give it 5 days from his last Stuart then offer him a "Roland". (Sorry GP, but I just can't help naming them! )

I like the names. Sounds much better to say you keep Stuarts and Rolands in the freezer rather than mice and rats.

Having rodents in the freezer with the fish fingers and ice cream is the only thing that has caused distress in the household with my snake keeping! I have to keep them in sealed boxes placed in a non-seethrough plastic bag!! I may have to get a new mini-freezer to store the food items in.

1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  10:35:17  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mancunian

quote:

I like the names. Sounds much better to say you keep Stuarts and Rolands in the freezer rather than mice and rats.

Having rodents in the freezer with the fish fingers and ice cream is the only thing that has caused distress in the household with my snake keeping! I have to keep them in sealed boxes placed in a non-seethrough plastic bag!! I may have to get a new mini-freezer to store the food items in.

lol. Same here. My wife is completely rodent-phobic. She just about tolerates our chinchilla. Although she doesn't have a problem watching Stuart or Roland copping it when Sherman is being fed.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  10:43:46  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've been told to find a cheap small (like a table top one) freezer on ebay and move them out!

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  10:49:10  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just went for the "...it's either that or I need to get a rat colony up and running...." tactic. Suddenly she was cool with the whole idea of frozen ones.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  11:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just went for the "...it's either that or I need to get a rat colony up and running...." tactic. Suddenly she was cool with the whole idea of frozen ones.

HaHa, good tactic!
Unfortunately I could not kill the rodents so would end up with several hundred pet rats! I'm a wuss.

1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  11:20:30  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  15:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
been looking for a small freezer but with no luck.

want one about the same size as one of those little friges you can put a four pack in.

any ideas...???

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000