New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  10:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So my clever Hydie has just layed her third clutch of eggs : ) And I'm going to assume that these are also fertile, as have been the previous two. I'm keeping them to see what will happen, but this means I'm running out of room for the babies I have now. Fortunatly the babies from her first clutch are about ready for new homes now : )

So, not wanting to just advertize anywhere I was wondering if anyone on here would like to give a pair or trio of GALS a home? I'm not certain on what kind they are 'cause the original six were rescues off Ebay, being sold as live foods. But they have very pretty shells as babies, with stripes, spots and zig-zags, and as they grow larger they begin to develope broad stripes of brown and tan.

I will take some photos shortly, of babies and of mummy Hydie.

But for now, as a query, just to get an idea for myself, would anyone be interested in homeing some baby GALS?

Just me and my zoo.

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  10:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If they can be housed with bigger GALS I'll take a pair :) Gary and Sheldon have that huge ExoTerra all to themselves

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  11:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they seem to have no problems being in with adult GALS. Hydie sometimes moves straight over them but they don't seem to care : ) Their shells are hardened now and growing well so I don't see how it would be a problem as long as they can't have a hard fall from anywhere.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  11:11:52  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds good, Gary cracked his shell a little falling from the roof to a rock, so said rock has now been removed -.-'' only places they can fall is into the soft soil now :)

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  12:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so there are twenty one photos. I've just given their tank a quick (and carful, with the eggs around) sorting out and took some photos.
I gave them a bath to make them all smart : )

So, some photos of some of the first batch babies that need new homes, and a two pence to give a size guide.

You can just see two of Hydie's second batch babies there too, just to give you an idea of their size right now. They're tiny!

Some photos of mummy Hydie

And her shell

And some with mummy Hydie and babies together

Some of the first batch babies in my hand

And some to show just how tiny her second batch babies are : 3

You should be able to see their shell patterns pretty well, but sorry for the camera shadow.

That's there home in the back ground, in the kitchen there but they live in the living room.
Don't worry, they do have fake plants, a flower pot and a shallow dish of water.
I was just cleaning it all while I took the photos : )

They're all given a constant suply of cuttlefish bone, and their diet consists of mainly fresh veg.
Lettuce, kale, carrot, grass, dandelions, cucumber, brocoli, bamboo shoots etc, etc
with a treat of fruit once or twice a month. Apple, mango, banana, kiwi, that sort of thing.

They're kept with Woodlice. Always have been. Woodlice are perfect for keeping the tank clean,
keeping the soil nice and poop free 'cause they recycle it and also for keeping the Snails shells clean by eating the slime and soil from off them.
So although it's not needed I do recomend them as tank companions : )

Sub-adult and adult Snails get a warm bath during their wake months once a month to keep their shells nice and to stop them from developing rot problems.
Although the Woodlice do really help with that.

They seem to go into brumation about December and wake up again at the end of Feburary/beginging of March.
I always give them a good bath before they go to sleep and they're fine.

They're not heated, never are. Just kept in a warm room.
They don't need a special light either,just the light from a window. Nice and cheap : )

I love how they rasp your hand when you hold them and how they seem to look up at you, working out what you are.
I find them really interesting to watch, but if your after a cuddly or playful pet then you might not apreciate them as much ; )
Otherwise, they're great!

Just me and my zoo.

Edited by - BlueDragon on 11/08/2012 12:47:53
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  10:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They look great! I'll take a trio off your hands :)

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  11:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. Well I haven't worked out pricing etc so I'll have to sort that out, but as soon as I've got some tubs to post them in you'll be the first on the list : )

If you want to email me your address and anything else then it's: bluedragon dot bdd at gmail dot com. If that's readable? : /

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000