honest opinions on breading weights
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  19:24:44  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
After searching high and low, as always lots of information that is completley different, what are you opinions and what weights have you bread at.

I'm hoping to make next breading season with two of mine so this could be the deciding vote

http://www.facebook.com/DannosRoyalPythons?ref=hl

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  19:34:58  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I bred Savina last year at 1300g
Result was 5 eggs (1 of which was a slug), 3 Survived

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  19:57:33  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
personally down to expirience know i dont go on weight.
my female hit 1500g january this year, and quite a few breeders told me to stick my male in if she was still eating, she his 1600g by the end of february and she was having none of it.
looking at her, she could have done with a bit more weight on her so was a bit fatter, and needed more time. ses a cb10 born july, so she would have only been 1.5 years old. breeders had still told me to go ahead with trying her, but obvs she knew she wasnt ready and no male could get near her. so thats how i will go about it from now on

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  20:07:53  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So how will you go about it from now on, Danny?

Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  20:09:31  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kelf how far along did the one that didn't make it get to ? And would you bread at them weights again

Danny 1200g seems to be the lowest I've seen to be advised, but your probably right its still the snakes choice in the end

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  20:16:51  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It went almost full term, was fully developed inside the egg but really really small and pale, don't think it was anything to do with the mother just "one of those things" and yes I would, she had absolutely no problems at all, went back to feeding perfectly well after and all the eggs were fine (apart from that one) when they hatched the snakes were all okay :)

Although I've only bred once, so I cannot recommend

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  20:44:58  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

So how will you go about it from now on, Danny?

by look. if the snake is 3ft and fat (muscular) then she is in perfect condition comapred to a 5ft female thats thin. thats why i will not just go by weight as a 5ft female at 1500g might not be ready compared to a 3ft female at 1500g. i will still look at weights, but wont relly on them to breed females. its all about the body condition. this is just personally though

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  22:55:47  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cool that gives me a little more to think about, still unsure I think I'll prepare for it and see nearer the time, I have the next two years planned out in my head already, but it does not take much for me to change my mind

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000