New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DarkRose
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2012 :  01:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Picked up a new royal over 4 weeks ago, he's 1kg in weight, apparently eating fine.
I gave him a week to settle, then offered him what the previous owner had told me he was eating (Large weaner rat) he struck it once and swallowed it to the rat shoulders then spat it out. So I reheated and tried again he struck it and got his head round the rats head and spat it out.

So I left him for a week and tried again, same thing struck it, swallowed to its shoulders and spat it out. Reheated it and gave it another go and he actually ate but he had quite a head shake going on.

Finally try again tonight 10days later, offer him a rat, he strikes, he swallows to the shoulder then starts making a weird hissing, gurgling noise and he spits out the rat, corkscrews then still making funny noises some clear liquid comes out his mouth (saliva??) then he's fine and back to normal.
I didn't want to try again so I put him back in his viv and now wondering if i should take him to a vet or is he just a strange feeder and nothing to worry about?

Just so you know i heat all my food up and its defrosted properly, his temps are ok, and hes doing everything else normally and looks healthy.

Edit to say: He's not a spider or any spider gene.

1.1.1 Normals
1.0 Pastel
0.1 Carolina Corn
1.0 Snow Corn
0.1 Anery Corn

Edited by - DarkRose on 22/08/2012 01:21:58

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2012 :  06:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes you need to get him checked out by a vet and get a poo sample done if hes pooed that is.
is he in a separate room from your other snakes? if not move him so if hes got something it hopefully wont spread to your others

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2012 :  07:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would give him a try with something smaller like small weaner. See if he eats that. When you defrost it - put rat in a plastic bag and leave it in room temp for about 5hrs. When completely soft then heat it up with hair dryer and give him a go. If he eats that just Carry on with small weaners and after few feeds gradually change rat to a medium and then large weaner. If you are really concern about his behaviour I would take him to a vet.

Edited by - konrad1982 on 22/08/2012 14:47:49
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2012 :  18:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the rat is too big for him. The thrashing is just regurgitation, they twist and contract as they clear their throat. They produce a ton of saliva to lubricate the prey on the way down so I wouldn't worry overly about saliva.

Prey items should not be any wider than the snake. Give it a week and try again only try with a much smaller prey item, if the same thing happens then a vet visit is required. Also keep strict quarantine in place as should be done with any new snake.

Edited by - Lotabob on 22/08/2012 18:37:09
Go to Top of Page

DarkRose
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2012 :  21:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rat weighed 80g, so under the recommended 10%, but will try him on a smaller one, ive got some small rat weaners, so will give him a go on them then if still the same i will take him to the vets

1.1.1 Normals
1.0 Pastel
0.1 Carolina Corn
1.0 Snow Corn
0.1 Anery Corn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000