New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2012 :  17:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just set up and moved Loki from his fawn to a 3' viv. The glass on the front has gradually got more and more steamed up until i can not see in at all. I am wondering if this is normal and will clear as the substrate dries out a bit?? I have changed to Forest Floor which is much wetter than the aspen i have used until now.

xx

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python Loki
1.1.0 Cats Daisy and Benson

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2012 :  17:13:26  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think when you use stuff like that your supposed to bake it to dry it out too much humidity is bad for royals and can cause respiratory infection

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
0.1.0 Snow Cornsnake- Lumi
1.1.0 Hypo Sonoran Dwarf Boa-Bart and Maggie
0.1.0 Albino Pine Snake-Ruby
1.0.0 Bredli Python-Brian
1.0.0 Western Hognose-Hal
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
0.1.0 Honduran Milksnake-Jubbly
1.1.0 Salmon Boas-Hershey and Sam
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos-Spot and Chocolate
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
0.0.1 Pandinus Imperator/emperor scorpion
Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2012 :  17:39:10  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm currently having a similar issue with a rub and I in my case its due to not enough ventilation, in your case I would say you are correct its probable the substrate, can i ask where the water bowl is in relation to the heat source as if its to close it could raise humidity, are your temps correct ?

http://www.facebook.com/DannosRoyalPythons?ref=hl
Go to Top of Page

coxcats
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
584 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2012 :  18:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find that when I do a complete clean out my vivs steam up for a while. I use bark but it gradually clears.

Royals - Sas, Boris & Ria
Boas - 1 called Titch until we can think of a name for her!
Cats - Felix, Becky, Max & Willow
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2012 :  08:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the vivarium is steaming up, the humidity is too high. Simples.

Some people 'bake' the substrate in the oven before thay put it in the vivarium. I think it depends on the substrate you're using. I use beech chips and you don't have to bother with all that malarky.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

LittlestarRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2012 :  09:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry too much. Increased humidity for short periods shouldn't hurt. I think it's just the substrate being damp, once it dries out a bit then the glass should stop misting up.

Royals:1.2 Normals 'Hector'(He's my Baby! lol),'Lily' & 'Satan',0.1 Albino 'Alice', 0.2 Bumblebees 'Belle' & 'unnamed', 0.1 Pinstripe 'Stripy', 1.0 Pastel het Albino 'Pasty' 1.0 HG Woma 'Helix' & 0.1 Lesser 'Honey' 1.0 Enchi 'Max',0.1 Pewter Fader 'Pandora' and 1.0 Clown 'Krusty'. Others: 0.1 Corn 'Nagini', 1.0 BRB 'Juju', 1.0 Honduran BCI 'Lucius', 1.1 Beardies 'Beanie and Snuggle' and 1.0 Yemen Chameleon 'Jasper'(a.k.a Hissy Fusspot).
Go to Top of Page

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2012 :  08:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been leaving the doors open a tiny crack to allow the moisture to escape and it seems to be clear. He can't be too unhappy in the new home as he ate yesterday just one day after moving in! :)

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2012 :  12:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Humidity is high. Too high? Not so much. The humidity where they come from is really high most of the time. Humidity on its own is not a huge cause for concern, with good air flow and a clean environment humidity is not a problem for Royals. The problem with damp substrate you have to watch out for is scale rot, which again is not caused by the wet substrate itself but the bacteria/fungi/mould that multiplies in it quickly. Its also these rapidly increasing microbes that lead to RI. You can have a really high humidity setup but it needs cleaned out weekly, the drier it is the slower the microbes multiply so you dont need to clean quite so much.

Go to Top of Page

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2012 :  12:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the comments and advice. it all seems to have settled down now and Loki is enjoying exploring his new home.

xx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000