Eowyn the boa visits the vet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2012 :  16:56:44  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We noticed a slight hiss and crackle when Eowyn was having a deep breath. So we took her off to a great herp vet nearby. Turns out she has a mild RI, so we have to get a tube down her throat for the next ten days to give her some antibiotics. That should be fun.
Plus continue with the mite treatment, although no sign of mites today following the frontline last night.
At least we got her weighed whilst there. She's 4kg of cuddlyness.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2012 :  22:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hopefully she gets over it quickly may be interesting trying to tube her wouldve though they would have given you injections but with a snake that size you would need to give several injections in one go

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2012 :  00:21:30  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well it was the first tubing today. I held her and opened her mouth but Jane couldn't get the tube more than a third of the way down. I think she regurgitated most of the antibiotics. So tomorrow we'll try Jane opening her mouth and me putting the tube in. We might get our daughter to video this to post depending how it goes. Wish us, and Eowyn luck. Bloody hell this is stressful.

Edit. Additional. The vet wanted to try the aural first as injections can have an adverse effect on snakes. I really want to do this successfully as I believe to be a good owner of snakes, some basic techniques should be achievable.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.

Edited by - Baobab on 22/09/2012 00:27:19
Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2012 :  00:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if it were me i would talk to your vet about injections.
no offence but advising someone (myself included in this) to tube feed antibiotics to a snake is not the best idea unless you have experiance in this method and would be a lot easier to hold her still and administer 2-3 quick injections opposed to trying to tube her.

i have a bit of experiance with treating sick reptiles at my friends rescue center but still would not feel confident in administering antibiotics via a tube without someone there walking me through the process.
not having a go at you vet or anything just my opinion.

yes they are good at stressing us out when i had to inject my rat snake i was on my own for the week which was interesting as had to hold him in a pillow case with his tail end out to give him the meds

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

incubate 2 campaign
Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2012 :  01:28:55  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Stress, oh yes. The vet held her the first time while I tubed her ok. I'm confident we can do this this safely, other wise I wouldn't attempt it. If I can get Jane to hold her securely and safely tomorrow,I know I can feed the tube in without hurting her. I'm new to reps but am used to handling animals. Have calved cows (roped the legs whilst armpit deep), and turned lambs around in the womb. Yeah,I know this is totally different, just know the thin line between confidence and ability, so will not risk endangering her.

Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2012 :  01:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah right i assumed the vet had just shown you how to do it but if they got you to do it while they were there then all good and you know how to do it.
give it a week with meds an she will be back to normal, they know when we are helping them

incubate 2 campaign
Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2012 :  01:49:39  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Cheers Chris. Its horrible when you know they're not completely healthy and happy.

Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2012 :  01:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes it is horrible knowing they are not well/ill.
as said i help at my friends rescue center an have been recently been helping to treat a basalisk who has a very bad eye infection, its eyes are looking a bit better but fingers crossed they heal up and theres no lasting damage.
but yes its heartbreaking to see them like that, i felt extremly guilty when y rat snake got the RI due to me not having his setup right

incubate 2 campaign
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000