New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tweek
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2012 :  01:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys! Any of you ever had a natural setup? Real plants & so forth? Are they hard to maintain? Are they worth the effort? Do they need cleaning out more often? Does anyone have any advice on how to get started?

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2012 :  06:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not the best idea to me as plants will:
- get damaged
- provide natural housing for bacterias
- increase humidity a lot.
That is just my opinion but I'm not saying it is impossible. Just your personal choice. But obviously you need to do some research what plants would be recommended.
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2012 :  09:24:03  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think a natural environment for a royal would be a very difficult thing but don't see it being impossible, couldn't help you out at all but would be very interested to see how you fare :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2012 :  14:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually did a bit of research into this when I was building my vivstack. I did come to the conclusion that with everything to be considered it would be a very high maintenance. The plants have to be very sturdy, non toxic (snakes dont eat them obviously but the sap will be released when the hefty snake breaks a stem or leaf etc) and happy in low light situations. Ventilation has to be increased to prevent the humidity building up because of damp soil. Mould and fungi build up can occur so you have to consider a custodian bug such as woodlice and springtails to keep things clean. Spot checks become really difficult, Royal poop is very dark in colour, on soil it will be quite difficult to spot unless they leave you a urate clue.

I decided that I could make something pleasing to the eye from wood, cork bark, fake foliage and good lighting without having to go to all the hassle of having such a high maintenance vivarium. I like snakes for their low maintenance didn't want to ruin it.

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2012 :  18:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can be done,However you will have to buy alot more gear.Plus another type of viv that's not wood.It's a lot of work for a snake that you hardly see.

You will end up replacing plants alot to,You could try leaving the plants in the pots.Then getting a nice looking background etc,Use rocks/wood/cork to hide the pots.

Or just get fake laurel,Weathered looking wood/background and other fake plants.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic