New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robroy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2012 :  19:39:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i fed him/her on sat afternoon and took it out just now and was surprised how big it looks i have just had it a week and a half can i expect to see it grow fatter with every feed he also seems twitchy is this because i have not handled him since friday nite someone said not to handle him on the day of feeding and leave him two days after the feed but he/she seems funny with me

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2012 :  19:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No snake will ever really like to be handled imo, its just to what degree they tolerate it.

If he/she seems skittish its possible it is head shy.

When you get it out try slow movements, in a quiet room trying not to cast shadows or move quickly over its head.

Its skittish because it wants to get away.

You will be able to tell the difference between wanting to explore and wanting to get away.

Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2012 :  19:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also if it balls in your hand, dont try to unball it (whilst its new at least)

Go to Top of Page

robroy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2012 :  19:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its not going into its ball mode its just flicking its head to one side into the s shape it likes to explore about i think its me moving too fast ang giving it a fright and them its me that gets the fright lol
Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2012 :  20:10:19  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We only leave one day after a feed. We do handle on feeding day also, but some snakes may not like this and refuse a feed. A bit of trial and error required.
The more you handle the more confident around you she should hopefully get. As badwool said try to avoid movement towards/around her head.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page

robroy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2012 :  16:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only one day I guess it makes sense as the snake would be in its Vic more days on its own than handling day out thx this has been a big help and if he/she won't feed on sat after handling I will Ieave getting it out on the day of feeding day thx again
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000