New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sassenach
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2012 :  14:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Annie's now having her first shed since I got her. Unfortunately not all coming off in one piece which is a bit of a shame but there you go.
How long should / can a shed last ? Should it all be done in a matter of hours or are we talking days ? There's still a few bits hanging off her but then I think she only started some time in the night.

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2012 :  14:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It normally doesn't take too long to shed once they get going. The few times i have caught mine shedding it has taken them less than half an hour to shed once they have broken the head. If there is still some retained shed you can pop them in a wet pillow case tie a knot in the top then place it on the cold side of the viv/rub and leave for about 20/30 mins. As the move around the moisture and friction will help lift the skin. When next in the shed cycle it will help if you raise the humidity. I just place a wet flannel on top of the hot hide under the bulb. I re wet it every day and leave in until the snake has shed

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2012 :  17:38:47  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Blackskull pretty much nailed it there, that's what we do. Some people will probably suggest soaking in a bath to help remove the stuck shed, but we've never tried that one.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2012 :  09:28:23  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My new royal had a really bad shed, it took a couple of days of bathing etc to get it all off. In the end we used a damp towel and manually got it off

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

Dixon
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2012 :  11:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I give mine a warm bath for about ten minutes a day once the eyes have cleared and until she sheds and that seems to do the trick with her. I also use the wet flannel trick as well to keep the humidity up the rest of the time but that alone did not do it for her.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000