Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Totalturnaround
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2012 :  18:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I am building a rack which will only be 3 shelves max.

The rack will house 1 Royal in a 33 l rub on one shelf but due to limited space, Can anyone advise if its possible to have heating at the back of the rack but put the rub in sideways ? rather then slide it in length ways ?
Would this type of setup still give good temps ?
On the other 2 shelves i will have 1 corn in a Faunarium and the last shelf will have 3 9l rubs for some new additions.

If not its back to the drawing board its just i have not seen many setups like this they all seem to be put in length ways.

Thanks

Paul

jbarlow91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
897 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2012 :  21:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the only problem you might have with that is you might not get much of a temperature gradient to allow the snake to thermoregulate

0.1.0 snow corn Ruby 1.0.0 ghost corn-Oreo
1.0.0 bearded dragon- kato
0.1.0 bearded dragon- keita
1.0.0 cali king-Taz
0.1.0 royal-Clio
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal- Moose
0.1.0 hognose jinxx
Go to Top of Page

Totalturnaround
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2012 :  22:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks jb thought that might be the case. If i was for instance building a 2 shelf rack to match the dimensions of a 33l rub. If i put the 33l rub on the lower shelf sideways with its own independent heat source and had the shelf above for 3 x 9l rubs which should fit in length ways ?
Could i then have a heat mat strip on the upper shelf and wire that mat into the lower mats stat ? How would i need to wire the stat to enable 2 mats to work off of one stat ? and does anyone have any tips on if Exo terra mats would wire in series or is it parallel to a Habistat matstat ?

Any ideas if this would work ?

thanks in advance Paul
Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2012 :  07:57:39  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're looking to run multiple mats off one stat just use a multi plug from the socket on the stat

I have 3 mats running off one stat no problem. Just remember that heat rises so the top shelf may be a bit warmer than the lower ones

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2012 :  18:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry mate. Heating on the bag is not going to work for 33ltrs rubs. Temperature gradient is one hing but I even doubt that you would get right temp in the hot spots. I recommend heat cable. I used heat mats before and didn't work for me. Heat cable is cheaper, more powerful (if you need it) and do the job fine.
Go to Top of Page

Totalturnaround
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2012 :  19:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Konrad the heat-mat on the back of the rack is theoretically only going to hopefully raise the ambient temperature of the actual rack itself. Each Rub will have its own under the rub heating via a separate mat and stat.

The problem i am trying to solve is raising the ambient temp around the rubs themselves. i was going to foil the back of the rack and hopefully this will reflect enough heat from the big mat on it to raise the ambient temp just a little from the overnight room temp which drops to around 70 degrees.

Can you advise where i can get some appropriate heat cable as this could possibly work better ?

2 shelves will house royals the other a corn so i might be able to wire 2 mats in parallel for the same temps for the royals and the corn will have to have his own stat.

fezza thanks for that idea with the stats cool

Do you guys think this idea will work for the ambient temps within the rack itself ? I really only need to find 8-10 degrees for the cooler ends ?

thanks again

Paul
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000