New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  10:18:41  Show Profile
I noticed that glass vivs are not the norm in the UK. It is quite common in the US. So, since I was doing my monthly clean-up of the vivs, I decided to take step-by-step photos in case anybody is interested. I have to say, I only have a cell phone camera, so the pictures aren't the greatest.

1.) Tank: I'm using a 20-Long Zilla Reptile glass tank.

2.) Cleaner: I use Natural Chemistry Healthy Habitat cleaner spray and paper towels to clean the viv and everything I put inside.

3.) Heating Element: I use ZooMed Under-Tank Heater on the underside of the tank (outside glass). It comes with 4 stick-on "risers" that stick to the corners of the tank to elevate the tank about 1/4 inch to provide airflow. In this set-up, I went ahead and used the sticky that came with the heater. Usually, though, I leave the paper backing on the sticky side of the heater and tape the heater to the glass using aluminum tape. That way, if I need to upgrade the tank, or if the tank cracks, I can move the heater to another tank. It is quite difficult to remove the sticky once it is glued on.

4.) Thermostat: I control the heat output of the heater using a Reptitemp 500R thermostat. I stick the probe right on top of the heater (outside glass) using aluminum tape. This guarantees that the probe is always on the heat source and not getting knocked about by the snake.

5.) Insulation: I use cork background on the back of the tank. This particular viv uses ZooMed Cork Tiles. The cork provides insulation as well as privacy. Usually, people put cork on 3 sides of the tank, but this one I only used cork on 1 side because my room temperature is 80F. I stick the background to the glass using velcro so it is easy to remove for viv clean-up.

6.) Thermometer, Hygrometer, and Hides: I use "AccuRite indoor/outdoor thermometer with probe and hygrometer" to monitor the temps and humidity in the tank. I use ZooMed Reptishelter for hides. I like the reptishelter because it has a floor. It gives me added assurance that the snake cannot burrow directly onto the heater.

7.) Hot side thermometer probe: I stick the Accu-Rite probe on the floor of the hot-side hide using aluminum tape. Aluminum tape is not very sticky, therefore, if it ends up on your snake, it is easy to remove. Another option is painter's tape. Although, I haven't had one stick on my snakes yet. The hide is placed right on top of the heater. With this set-up, the Accu-Rite temp reading on the top (says indoor temp) is your ambient temp and the middle reading (says outdoor temp) is your hot-side temp. The bottom number is the humidity.

8.) Water bowl: I use ZooMed ReptiRock water bowl for a reason. I found that it provides faster evaporation of the water than the Exo-Terra Water Dish, giving me added humidity. I use a water bowl big enough for the snake to soak in. Depending on room humidity, I place the water bowl near the heater (increases humidity) or away from the heater. Right now, I needed it to be placed half on top of the heater. I also add some decor to "clutter up" the place - the log that goes over the waterbowl offers a little sense of "protection" when the snake goes for a drink. If you notice, I put all these before I add the substrate. I noticed that the snake will sometimes dig under the substrate to curl underneath the waterbowl and end up right on top of the heater. So, everything on the hot side gets put under the substrate.

9.) Substrate: I use Kaytee Multi-Purpose Aspen Bedding as a substrate. Kaytee makes bedding specifically for snakes which is better than the multi-purpose one (much finer and softer). I breed my own rats, so I use multi-purpose bedding to use for the rats as well. I put the substrate about 1 to 2 inches thick. I also put substrate inside the hide to cover the probe. Note that I put the cool-side hide on top of the substrate. This is to add more distance between the heater and the hide.

10.) Decor: I add fake plants and sturdy fake flowers to pretty up the viv and to make the snake feel more secure.

11.) Heat lamps: During the cold months, my house temperature is set at 72. So, I use ceramic heat lamps to raise the ambient temperature in the tank. I use Day Glo and Night Glo 60W bulbs. The heat lamp is dimmable (to adjust heat output) and are controlled by a day timer and a night timer.

12.) Humidity control: When a heat lamp is in use, the humidity drops significantly. To counter the drop in humidity, I cover 3/4 of the screened top using aluminum foil taped to a vinyl mat.

That's the easy part. The hard part is playing with the thermostat/dimmers to get the hot-side temp at 90-95F and the ambient temp at 80-85F and keeping the humidity between 50-60%! You'll need to get all that stabilized before putting the snake in the tank.

13.) Snake: And here's the snake in the viv. This is just a demo picture. The viv is not plugged in yet and it is still on my futon. I'm going to move this viv into its permanent place in my office , get the temps stabilized before putting the snake back in. The viv sits on top of a metal stand. You can put it on top of wood tables as well - the risers will keep the airflow under the tank and it doesn't leave heat marks even on varnished wood.

14.) Lock: And last but not least, lock the lid to prevent unauthorized access of the snakes from visitors and the kids' friends.

And that's how I have my vivs set up. Thanks for reading!

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

Edited by - anatess on 03/05/2009 18:19:17

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  10:40:30  Show Profile
very good anatess...great guide...

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  10:45:37  Show Profile
excellent post Anatess, would this be good in Snake DIY?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  10:50:19  Show Profile
If anatess is ok with it, and people like it i will make it a sticky in the general keeping section...

Edited by - dazb on 03/05/2009 10:50:57
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  10:55:11  Show Profile
Oh, I'm flattered! The pictures are not too good though. I say have it out here for a few days to see if anybody finds something that doesn't work in the UK or see if anybody can improve on it. Then if everybody finds it okay, then sure, it will probably be useful in the DIY section.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  11:08:56  Show Profile
its a good post Anatess;-)

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  18:39:24  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Good post Anatess.

Like you say, they are not as common in the UK, probably due to our temps compared to yours and so its much harder to keep them at correct temps over here.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  18:47:50  Show Profile
Good guide, its nice to see how the americans do it The cork background is ace.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  19:11:04  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Might try and get my hands on some of those cork bark tiles for the gex viv. Give them something else to climb on.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  19:29:01  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
good thread!

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  13:44:45  Show Profile
The finished tank looks fantastic!

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly