New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jebus
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  00:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys thinkin of a pair of crestys as my next project and have a few questions to owners or people who know about them really lol. Do you have any heat sources for them? Or is room temp enough? What do you feed them as their staple diet? What sort of age do they breed at and how many times yearly and anything else you deem useful.

And some pics of setups would be lovely hehe. Thanks, Matt.

phlegmatical
Yearling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  21:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a small heat mat on the side of my exo terra viv because its in the kitchen which is always cold! If they are in a warmer room you could get away with not having a heat source. I feed mine repashys crested gecko diet but there are cheaper ones out there. Its just a powder that u mix with water to form a paste which I put in a coke bottle lid. You can feed fruit and crickets but the powder is an all in 1 and I hate crickets!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  22:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep mine in my kitchen because it's my warmest room. I've got a Rayburn (small version of the Aga) and it's on 365 days 24/7 so always nice and cosy!
I don't need any extra heating for them.
I keep them in the Exo Terra terrariums, they have one each being males, and I mist them a couple of times a day.
Mine also have Rephasy Crested Gecko Diet. It may be more expensive but it's the best on the market as far as I'm concerned. (I eat the cheap stuff and my animals get the best!!!) They also have live food of crickets and locusts sometimes just to keep up their natural instinct to hunt.
When I got mine as very young cresties they were extremely fast and not tamed at all. Once I got them and handled them every day they became very tame and now they are so chilled I can handle the oldest one, Echo, without him even waking up and Metoo hardly bats an eyelid! Having said that they are such entertaining little guys when they're awake and their colour changes are awesome.I can highly recommend them as pets.

Edit to add....will try to get some photos of set up for you.....watch this space!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Gecko (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Fudge, Sox, Raven & Titch)
??? Foster animals

Edited by - herriotfan on 18/03/2013 22:02:28
Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2013 :  07:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got mine in a RUB at the min but she'll be going into the exo terra as soon as I can be arsed setting it up :/ lol

I've got no heat source for her as my room is warm enough and she's over with the snakes anyways so she gets some of that heat but have a heat mat spare incase she needs one.

She gets fed repashy gecko diet with locusts a couple of times a week :)

I could be wrong but I think it's 35g is the breeding weight for a female? But again that's not a definite. I plan on breeding her when she's big enough, right now she's around 18g

1.1.0 Normal Royal Pythons... Kane (CF11) + Frankie (CB11)
1.0.0 Spider Royal Python (CB13)
1.0.0 100% het kahl albino boa Dexter (CB13)
1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
0.1.0 Red Harlequin Crested Gecko... Charlie
0.1.0 Albino Leopard Gecko... Cleo
1.1.0 African Green Mantis
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie
1.1.0 Cats... Ebony and DK

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2013 :  14:18:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had Harley just at room temp for a food while but I popped him a heat mat at 25°C on the side of his viv so he has somewhere to go now if he needs to warm up a bit. He does use it so I think it was a good call.

Go to Top of Page

jebus
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2013 :  22:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool guys cheers for the info! Was thinkin ontop of my boas viv would be a good place for a tank, put a sheet of alu ontop of it and its acting like a big heatsink heating from the overheat of the AHS heater, its sitting about 24-26 degrees and my room temperature is around 20-23 ish maby slightly lower at night.
I just think they are such cool little creatures, their eyes are mesmerising, cool colours and looks, and they seem easy enough to look after? I think i have to have 1 or 2 or 3 >:)

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2013 :  09:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't keep males together, they'll fight.
Females are ok if the terrarium is big enough.
If you get youngsters you can't tell what sex they are, you need adults to be 100% sure!
Be warned...they're like snakes, very addictive.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Gecko (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Fudge, Sox, Raven & Titch)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

jebus
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2013 :  17:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea would be looking a male and female, but wont be rushing into anything just yet, well this week anyway :p
Wana call down to my reptile guy and have him talk me through everything i needa know, then morphs he can get in
and such! I just hope they arnt as addictive as snakes :(

Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2013 :  19:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol ive managed to only stick to one at the min but if breeding is successful ill keep a baby :D

1.1.0 Normal Royal Pythons... Kane (CF11) + Frankie (CB11)
1.0.0 Spider Royal Python (CB13)
1.0.0 100% het kahl albino boa Dexter (CB13)
1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
0.1.0 Red Harlequin Crested Gecko... Charlie
0.1.0 Albino Leopard Gecko... Cleo
1.1.0 African Green Mantis
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie
1.1.0 Cats... Ebony and DK

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: