New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

luna
Hatchling

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2014 :  16:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well had my girl out today I was slightly apprehensive as when I changed her water the other day she had a strike at me but it went ok she didn't try again however she did hiss at me when I picked her up fiesty female lol

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  16:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to try my first proper handle today. I hope it goes better than yours ;-)

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Go to Top of Page

luna
Hatchling

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  21:36:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've handled her a couple of more times and she's getting better thankfully :-)
Go to Top of Page

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  22:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's good to hear, and thankfully mine seemed to go well today too. I had to give her a wee bath as she has only partially shed.

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Go to Top of Page

luna
Hatchling

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  22:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im yet to have her shed and yet to have her feed but one step at a time I guess at least she's not trying to beat me up now ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  22:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol. Indeed.

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Go to Top of Page

Derek FRS
Yearling

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  02:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love a snake with attitude lol 1 of my males i swear he is the son of satan everytime i go near his viv to change water or general maintanance or to just check him over he will allways have a go at me lol has got me a few times as well :) but he still eats so inless i have to go in his viv i gemeraly just let him be :) but i was the same before i had been tagged untill you experiance your first tag it can be a scary thot but they are pretty painless and are 100% harmless :) but you know they are not like cats and dogs you are probably going to get bitten at some point of snake ownership :) its all part of the fun
Go to Top of Page

phlegmatical
Yearling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  12:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I could jump on this thread! When you all try handling your nervous/aggressive/defensive (how ever you want to describe it lol) snakes do you just dive in or what?

One of mine has that kind of attitude and I fanny about Tring to get her out then in the end give up and just pick her up and she calms down after musking the hell out of me!
Go to Top of Page

luna
Hatchling

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  12:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first time I was fannying around and she struck at me so I just went in from the side and carefully picked her up she wasn't impressed and brought a plant and a branch with her lol but she's getting better I just try and put my self in her position and I must seem huge so I lower my self and try not to Tower over her and I always get her from the side not from the top plus she's always out in the evenings so I get her out then not from in her hide. Not sure if this is right way to do it but it works for me and so far no more strikes lol
Go to Top of Page

CliffW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  17:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your approach seems very sound to me - also I always feed in the morning and handle/do maintenance in the evening, so that my snakes learn what to expect when I go to them - This seems to work for me, but I'd be interested to know what other, experienced keepers think!

By the way, my Honey still (after a year) grabs onto stuff when I take her from the viv - but when she's been out for a while she doesn't want to go back! I don't believe this awkwardness is gender-related

1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal (Pretzel)
0.1.0 Normal Royal (Honey)
Go to Top of Page

luna
Hatchling

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  20:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol :-) had her out a few times now and she's getting loads better my daughter is slightly wary of her due to her striking and hissing but she still talks to her in a goofy voice lol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000