stinky megazorb
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2014 :  13:20:51  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't been on here for 100000 years it seems!

Hello!

On my second (ever) bag of Megazorb as i found it great stuff as substrate for my royal and 2 corns vivs... but this second bag STINKS

I keep refreshing it with new stuff in Chancho's RUB but it smells terrible all the time.

I didn't have this problem before :(

What alternative substrates that are similar are out there these days?

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water

red123
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2014 :  15:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not used megazorb before but from what I have read about it this is similar. http://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/animal-bedding/horse-bedding/single-bale-horse-bedding.html
I have just received a bale of this and put it in my corns and hondurans vivariums. It seems pretty good. Nice and soft and no horrible smell :)

Corn Snakes
1.0.0 Amel (Stan)

Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)
1.0.0 Albino (Tony)

Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 Agatha

Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal(Stevie)

Honduran Milk Snake
0.0.1 Tri-coloured (Bryan)

0.0.1 Schneinder Skink (George )
0.2.0 Wild Type (no Hets) Leopard Geckos (Tilly & Belle)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
13 GALS

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 2 Texel Guniea Pigs (Richard & Roger), 1 Rex Guniea Pig (Eli), 1 Smooth Coated Guinea Pig (Ted), 6 Rescued Hens, 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  12:25:04  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by red123

quote:

I have not used megazorb before but from what I have read about it this is similar. http://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/animal-bedding/horse-bedding/single-bale-horse-bedding.html
I have just received a bale of this and put it in my corns and hondurans vivariums. It seems pretty good. Nice and soft and no horrible smell :) A little pricy perhaps but you get what you pay for lol.

well, it looks like a huge bale so it would last :) thanks for the suggestion!

Gutted to be throwing away a whole bag of megazorb, they pack it in plastic which doesn't help it breathe i guess - it used to be in a woven sack thing.... but poor Chancho isn't happy living in stinky substrate!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

red123
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2014 :  06:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fitch animal bedding does have a slight smell on first opening the bag but it is not unpleasant just a papery smell, lol. Its been in the vivs for a couple of days now and I have no complaints so far. The snakes seem ok with it as well, burrowing happily etc. The bay is huge and the amount that you get in the bale is even more huge. I have used it in three 3ft x 18" so far and the bale looks no different.

Corn Snakes
1.0.0 Amel (Stan)

Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)
1.0.0 Albino (Tony)

Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 Agatha

Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal(Stevie)

Honduran Milk Snake
0.0.1 Tri-coloured (Bryan)

0.0.1 Schneinder Skink (George )
0.2.0 Wild Type (no Hets) Leopard Geckos (Tilly & Belle)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
13 GALS

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 2 Texel Guniea Pigs (Richard & Roger), 1 Rex Guniea Pig (Eli), 1 Smooth Coated Guinea Pig (Ted), 6 Rescued Hens, 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2014 :  17:00:57  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The fitch animal bedding does have a slight smell on first opening the bag but it is not unpleasant just a papery smell, lol. Its been in the vivs for a couple of days now and I have no complaints so far. The snakes seem ok with it as well, burrowing happily etc. The bay is huge and the amount that you get in the bale is even more huge. I have used it in three 3ft x 18" so far and the bale looks no different.

great stuff! don't mind an initial funny smell, i think most substrates do that when you open the bag but this Megazorb is AWFUL forever! even more annoying is that i'll probably have to lug it to the dump or something as i bet the binmen wont take it :/

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2014 :  13:49:01  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just reporting back on Fitch animal bedding,

it does the job but i much prefer the look of Megazorb

Fitch looks like torn up toilet paper!

It's good value for how much you get (the massive cube it comes in looks barely touched!) and I don't mind it in RUB set ups, but it really wont be going in my proper vivs, I like them to look a bit natural-ish. I like Megazorb as it sort of looks like grit/sand/rocks as its that grey-ish beige colour.

I'm half tempted to buy another bag of Megazorb and see what it's like this time, i don't know what else to use that is as good value and looks similar

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2014 :  16:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the Megazorb was improperly stored. Not by you but by the supply chain. With it being so dry and absorbent any humidity and smells will be absorbed and locked in. I've not had this problem and I've used a few bags of Megazorb.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2014 :  16:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use these to get Megazorb, sadly they've stopped delivering to Ireland so I'm without a supplier but they served me well when I could use them. http://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/products/equine/bedding/wood-pulp-pellets/megazorb-horse-bedding.html

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2014 :  11:38:55  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

I use these to get Megazorb, sadly they've stopped delivering to Ireland so I'm without a supplier but they served me well when I could use them. http://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/products/equine/bedding/wood-pulp-pellets/megazorb-horse-bedding.html

I'll give them a whirl, it was so bad! it normally has that odd smell when you first open it, but this time it was like having a farm full of cow poo in my house *bleurgh* and it wouldn't go away at all. Hopefully that's all it was, a storage issue!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000